HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Democrats Have the Most R...
Joe BidenCongratulations to our presumptive Democratic nominee, Joe Biden!

Tue Oct 29, 2019, 04:14 PM

Democrats Have the Most Racially Diverse Field Ever. The Top Tier Is All White.

When the Democratic primary contest began last winter, it featured the most racially diverse field in history, with two black senators, a Latino former cabinet secretary, an Asian-American businessman and the first American Samoan elected to Congress. But 10 months later, the Democratic field has a top tier of four white candidates, three of them men.

Candidates of color are languishing in the low single digits in polls, well behind the four leaders former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., Senators Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Bernie Sanders of Vermont, and Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind. The divide could become even more pronounced in the coming months: Because of new, more rigorous thresholds for the Democratic debate in December, it is possible that only one nonwhite candidate, Senator Kamala Harris of California, will qualify.

With the Iowa caucuses three months away, its a noticeable sorting of the field for an increasingly multiracial party, whose most recent White House victories were powered by a strong minority turnout for a black nominee. It has frustrated the Democrats seeking a more diverse party leadership not to mention the affected candidates.

Ive had lots of crazy things said to me, like, Is America ready for another black president? Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey said in an interview. And Im confident its never been asked of a white candidate, Is America ready for another white president?

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/us/politics/democratic-candidates-race.html
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Joe Biden

13 replies, 610 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue Oct 29, 2019, 04:18 PM

1. But even in the top tier, there is diversity.

Warren is a woman, Buttigieg is gay, and Sanders is Jewish. We have a great selection this time around.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Turin_C3PO (Reply #1)

Tue Oct 29, 2019, 04:24 PM

3. The topic of the article is racial diversity.

It's great to see the diversity that you mentioned for sex, sexual orientation, and religious affiliation; but the article is accurate with the assertion that there is no racial diversity among the top candidates. I can also see that the lack of racial diversity could affect the turnout in elections among the racial groups that are not represented.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #3)

Tue Oct 29, 2019, 04:25 PM

4. Point taken.

Id like to see candidates like Harris gain more traction. Shes one of my favorites.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #3)

Tue Oct 29, 2019, 05:44 PM

7. The title makes it sound as if the Dems are doing this. The voters and those being polled

Are the ones In charge.

Biden is very well liked in the AA community. SC is the bellwether for the AA voting block. Polls in the state have him at 46%
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to Thekaspervote (Reply #7)

Tue Oct 29, 2019, 08:13 PM

13. No one has voted yet. Status at this point is based on polls

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to Turin_C3PO (Reply #1)

Tue Oct 29, 2019, 05:43 PM

6. & Sen. Harris's a female of colour (I put her in the top 5, where she's been most of the campaign)

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 29, 2019, 04:18 PM

2. Cory's quote at the end reminds me of this RBG quote :)

Undecided

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 29, 2019, 05:38 PM

5. booker and harris seem to not have what people are looking for. nt

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #5)

Tue Oct 29, 2019, 06:16 PM

8. I like them both.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #5)

Tue Oct 29, 2019, 07:10 PM

12. Perhaps if they got even a bit of the media attention

that Biden, Sanders, Warren and Buttigieg get, people would realize they do have what people are looking for.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 29, 2019, 06:49 PM

9. The word "Race" and it's deriviatives are dog-whistles that are used to energize people who hate..

There is only One Race and that is the Human Race. All ethnic differences are local adaptations and
unremarkable in any case as they're not relevant to any prevailing prejudice. snark on: Now GENDER
differences are really valid as points just ripe for prejudicial attitudes of contempt. snark off: Right?
If you say yes you lose. Lesson: Don't use the term "race" as a valid argument. Leave the ratfuckery to the reTHUGS, it's all they've got.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 29, 2019, 06:58 PM

10. I hope Democrats will take a second lock at the candidates of color that our running.

It's disappointing to see Democrats pat ourselves on the back for having such a diverse racial field. Yet, see how we don't propel any of those candidates to top tier status. I fear it may depress or discourage some in our voting base.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 29, 2019, 07:09 PM

11. Harris has gotten very little attention from the MSM

CNN had Steyer on on prime time tonight. I watch Wolf Blitzer most nights and don't recall when I've seen Harris or Booker interviewed on his show.

I've seen many of the other lower tier candidates get interviewed during those hours as well.

It is shameful. The media should not be choosing our candidates for us. Give them all a chance to make their case.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread