HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » BlueGreenLady » Journal
Page: « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »


Profile Information

Name: Dawn
Gender: Female
Hometown: Iowa
Home country: USA
Current location: In the sunroom.
Member since: Fri Oct 15, 2004, 07:28 AM
Number of posts: 1,900

About Me

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!

Journal Archives

Embedded Journalist captured the MagaTerrorist Coup attempt


The Insurrection Was Put Down. The GOP Plan for Minority Rule Marches On. Ari Berman Mother Jones

"Biden won by far the most votes of any candidate in history and beat Donald Trump by one of the largest margins in recent decades. Yet he’ll be handcuffed from the start. Fifty Republican senators will be able to thwart most of his legislative agenda, even though Democratic senators represent 41 million more Americans. The Supreme Court is likely to block many of his executive actions, even though a majority of those justices were appointed by Republican presidents who came to office after losing the popular vote and were confirmed by senators representing a minority of the population. And more than 50 million Americans live in states like Wisconsin, where Republicans control the legislature despite getting fewer votes and will pass another round of gerrymandered maps and new restrictions on voting to entrench minority rule for the next decade."

"Despite Democrats’ Georgia wins, the GOP’s structural advantage in the Senate is only growing, given its dominance in small rural states. The level of inequality in the Senate today would have shocked the likes of James Madison. "

"....Today, California has 68 times the population of Wyoming. Fifteen small states with 38 million people combined routinely elect 30 GOP senators; California, with 40 million residents, is represented by two Democrats. This imbalance is getting worse: By 2040, roughly 70 percent of Americans will live in 15 states with 30 senators, while the other 30 percent, who are whiter, older, and more rural than the country as a whole, will elect 70 senators.
“In the 87 years between the end of Reconstruction and 1964, the only bills that were stopped by filibusters were civil rights bills,” writes Adam Jentleson, a former staffer for Harry Reid, in his new book, The Kill Switch: The Rise of the Modern Senate and the Crippling of American Democracy. Unless Democrats get rid of what President Barack Obama has called a “Jim Crow relic,” McConnell can use the filibuster to block legislation that would expand democratic participation and help reverse minority rule, such as bills recently passed by the House to restore the Voting Rights Act and make it easier to vote. (Killing the filibuster would require the approval of every Democrat in the Senate, and Joe Manchin, the West Virginia moderate, has already said he’s against doing so.)"


Melania is all packed up and ready to go #janeygodleyvoiceover


Dietary Requirements


Diet Update from Randy R


Nuke, yes. Tweet, No.


Enjoy a Great Sea Chanty

A Twitter suggestion from Stephen Colbert

Can't Fly After the Coup? TDS


Trump is a 'wounded animal' who 'has never been in more legal jeopardy': CNN

Trump Lobs Threat at Joe Biden BTC

Go to Page: « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »