HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » TexasTowelie » Journal
Page: « Prev 1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 81 Next »

TexasTowelie

Profile Information

Gender: Male
Hometown: South Texas. most of my life I lived in Austin and Dallas
Home country: United States
Current location: Bryan, Texas
Member since: Sun Aug 14, 2011, 03:57 AM
Number of posts: 77,884

About Me

Middle-aged white guy who believes in justice and equality for all. Math and computer analyst with additional 21st century jack-of-all-trades skills. I'm a stud, not a dud!

Journal Archives

More lewd details about affair emerge in new bombshell lawsuit against Gov. Robert Bentley

A new lawsuit filed on Wednesday against Gov. Robert Bentley and his alleged mistress and former top political aide, Rebekah Mason, reveal new details about the Governor and Mason’s alleged affair and Bentley’s alleged misuse of State funds to facilitate that affair.

Wendall Ray Lewis, the former Head of the Governor’s Security Detail and Chief of the Office of Dignitary Protection, filed a lawsuit Wednesday against the Governor and Mason — alleging the pair defamed him, pushed him into early, involuntary retirement and interfered with job opportunities after Lewis left State government.

Lewis — joining a chorus of other former Bentley staffers and insiders, including former ALEA Secretary Spencer Collier — now alleges that Bentley maintained a physical affair with Mason, not just the emotional affair the Governor claims.

“Governor Robert Bentley had a physical and sexual affair with Defendant Mason,” Lewis said in his lawsuit. He said the Governor confirmed the physical affair, in person, several times, to him. Lewis and others, including top staffers and Business Council of Alabama head Bill O’Conner, pleaded with the Governor to end the affair several times as well, but “none of them succeeded,” according to the lawsuit.

Read more: http://www.alreporter.com/more-lewd-details-about-affair-emerge-in-new-bombshell-lawsuit-against-gov-robert-bentley/

Former Chief Justice Roy Moores son arrested for the 8th time

Caleb Moore, son of suspended Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore, was arrested over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend – his eighth arrest in the last five years.

Caleb Moore’s mugshot and booking information were posted on the Gadsden Times website, as part of the usual arrest photos local newspapers publish. However, Moore’s photo carried no information about the charges against him. A call to the Etowah County Sheriff’s Office seeking information about the arrest was not returned.

A source familiar with the arrest told APR on Sunday that Moore had been arrested for trespassing and hunting without a license.

It is the latest in a long line of arrests for the 25-year-old, dating back to 2013, when he was arrested for third-degree domestic violence in Troy.

Read more: http://www.alreporter.com/roy-moores-son-arrested-for-the-8th-time/

Prison mental health lawsuit moves forward as class action

A federal judge ruled Friday that a lawsuit filed by the Southern Poverty Law Center against the Alabama Department of Corrections can move forward as a class-action lawsuit.

US District Judge Myron Thompson ruled that the case, which alleges that Alabama prisoners have been denied mental health care, can move forward on behalf of all of Alabama’s prisoners, not just the prisoners named in the original lawsuit.

The suit, which was originally filed in 2014 and is set for trial on Dec. 5, could spell big changes for mental health care in Alabama prisons if Thompson rules in the prisoners’ favor.

“This ruling is very important for all of the people languishing within Alabama’s prisons without the mental health care they need,” said Maria Morris, a senior supervising attorney with the SPLC. “They need help, but many are incapable of standing up for their rights. Prison officials have failed to prevent suicides by prisoners with mental health conditions, they have denied them counseling and simply locked them away.”

Read more: http://www.alreporter.com/prison-mental-health-lawsuit-moves-forward-as-class-action/

Puerto Rico bond fraud victims kick off advertising campaign highlighting PROMESA corruption

WASHINGTON, USA -- In response to allegations of ongoing government corruption, a series of television and radio spots have been created to inform and educate the American people. These efforts will be undertaken through a new entity that will be called “Wall Street Fraud”.

This entity will be initially focusing on the $70 billion in Puerto Rico bond fraud. As many as 50 million Americans have been impacted by this and the SEC, FBI and US Attorney’s office appear to be doing little.

Utilizing private and public donations, it is the hope and desire of government fraud victims everywhere that this new entity can help bring about real change in Washington.

http://www.caribbeannewsnow.com/topstory-Puerto-Rico-bond-fraud-victims-kick-off-advertising-campaign-highlighting-PROMESA-corruption-32651.html

Under a fiscal control board, Puerto Rico voter abstention is at an all-time high

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- As the world anxiously observed the US elections, Puerto Rico, a US territory, also held its general election on Tuesday, November 8. And in a place that prides itself for historically having very high voting participation, turnout in these elections reached a new low.

While the pro-statehood New Progressive Party (PNP in Spanish) is celebrating that its candidate, Ricardo Rosselló Nevares, was elected governor and that they achieved a majority in the Legislature, the fact remains that voter participation for these elections reached only 55.09%, according to the official numbers of the State Electoral Commission (Comisión Estatal de Elecciones, or CEE, in Spanish). This number is extremely low, considering that Puerto Rico traditionally has had a turnout of well over 75%. This year's numbers represent a huge drop from 78.19% in the 2012 election.

Another point of interest is the fact that Ricardo Rosselló won the election with only 655,626 votes, or 41.76%. This is the number that is usually used when discussing by how much a candidate won an election. Bear in mind that Puerto Rico has a population of roughly 3.5 million, of which approximately 2.9 million were registered to vote. This means that the governor was elected only by a little over 22% of registered voters, or roughly 19% of the population. This is the first time that a candidate for governor has been elected to office with such low numbers.

One of the main theories for the widespread abstention is that these are the first elections held under the fiscal control board imposed by the Puerto Rico Oversight, Management and Economic Stability Act, or PROMESA. Composed of seven unelected members, the fiscal control board was created by the US Congress with bipartisan support and imbued with powers that override Puerto Rico's already limited constitution. With the aim of tackling the archipelago's $72 billion debt, the board answers only to Congress, not the Puerto Rican people.

Read more: http://www.caribbeannewsnow.com/topstory-Under-a-fiscal-control-board%2C-Puerto-Rico-voter-abstention-is-at-an-all-time-high-32583.html

Two Former D.O.H. Employees Arrested On Embezzlement And Related Charges In Virgin Islands

ST. THOMAS — Two former government employees at the Department of Health Community Health Clinic have been advised of their rights on multiple embezzlement-related charges. Lou Hermon, 47, of Castleburg, St. Croix, and Kesha Williams, 40, of Sugar Estate, appeared before Magistrate Henry Carr III on Wednesday for their initial court hearing.

Assistant Director of the Bureau of Investigation at the V.I. Department of Justice, Special Agent Sehkera Tyson, executed arrest warrants on the two on Tuesday, charging them each with two counts of making fraudulent claims upon the government; two counts of conversion of government property; two counts of embezzlement by public and private officers; two counts of buying, receiving or possessing stolen property; and two counts of aiding and abetting. Hermon and Williams voluntarily surrendered to authorities. Magistrate Carr found that there was probable cause to sustain all of the charges and to move the cases forward.

At the time of their arrests, bail for each was set at $35,000. Magistrate Carr reduced both bail amounts to $15,000 and allowed Williams to be released from custody by posting an unsecured appearance bond into the third-party custody of her mother. Williams was also ordered to abide by a number of court-imposed bail conditions, which include having no contact with witnesses or victims, including employees at the Community Health Clinic. Bail for Hermon was set at $15,000 cash or property bond, but Magistrate Carrsaid he will consider a bail modification if Hermon submits a third-party custodian that the court finds suitable and provides confirmation of where he will be living.

According to an affidavit filed by Special Agent Tyson in support of the arrests, Hermon and Williams worked at the Community Health Clinic on St. Thomas and were responsible for processing clients who applied for health cards. The co-defendants are accused of circumventing the DOH’s procedures for distributing the health cards by issuing health cards to clients without having them go through the proper procedural process. In February, Williams admitted that she issued VI food handlers’ health cards to individuals without obtaining the necessary medical clearance information and payment for said cards, Special Agent Tyson wrote. Hermon and Williams were terminated in March, according to court records.

Read more: http://viconsortium.com/breaking-news/kesha-williams-and-lou-hermon/

Virgin Islands Sees Sharp Increase In Zika Cases; 73 Pregnant Women Have Tested Positive

ST. THOMAS — Last week’s trend of decreasing Zika virus cases in the U.S. Virgin Islands appears to have been an exception and not an expected new norm, as the Department of Health’s latest report shows the virus sharply increasing in the territory, moving from 657 confirmed cases last week to 712 this week, an increase of 55 new cases.

The amount of pregnant women saw a week-over-week increase of 7, one more than last week, but still less than the spike of 24 cases two weeks ago. The new total of pregnant women infected with the virus is 73. D.O.H. said recently that five of these women have given birth to healthy babies.

Regular Zika cases increased week-over-week on all three islands, with St. Thomas continuing to lead with 503 confirmed cases, up from 466 cases last week; St. Croix with 100 confirmed cases, up from 92 cases last week; and St. John with 36 confirmed cases, up from 32 last week.

D.O.H. no longer accompanies its reports with quotes from the department’s officials.

Read more: http://viconsortium.com/health/territory-sees-sharp-increase-in-zika-73-pregnant-women-have-tested-positive/

Online petition wants Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum for governor

He flirted with a run for Congress and made Hillary Clinton’s list of potential running mates.

Now, a group of college kids is hoping Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum will run for governor in 2018.

A petition attempting to draft Gillum to run appeared Nov. 27 on change.org. Politico, which first reported the story, said students at eight universities were behind the effort.

The online petition notes Gillum’s progressive stance on issues from gun control and the environment to gay rights and immigration. It had 176 signatures by early Tuesday afternoon.

Read more: http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/11/29/online-petition-wants-gillum-governor/94606604/

Jacksonville-based Crowley awarded contract with Dept. of Defense potentially worth 2.3 billion

The U.S. government extended its relationship with a Jacksonville shipping and transportation company by awarding a contract potentially worth $2.3 billion over seven years for freight services supporting the Department of Defense.

The Department of Defense Freight Transportation Services contract between Crowley Logistics Inc. — a division of Crowley Maritime Corp. — and the U.S. Transportation Command covers all forms of truck transportation and grantees two years of services, according to the contract.

The contract will provide at least 70 new employment opportunities in Jacksonville, said Frank Larkin, senior vice president and general manager, logistics and commercial services at Crowley. Those positions do not include contracted truck drivers, and they will primarily be management, information technology and other positions involving expertise in shipping logistics, according to Crowley.

After the base period of two years, the contract has a five-year government option. The first option year will be based on the performance of the first two years, and each year following will be based on the performance of the previous year, according to Crowley. The entire sum of money will be awarded if the full seven-year contract is completed.

Read more: http://jacksonville.com/news/2016-11-28/jacksonville-based-crowley-awarded-contract-department-defense-potentially-worth-23

Florida man on kayak suffers 8-inch leg gash from gator attack

A man who went duck hunting in the Everglades on Friday afternoon did not expect his trip to end in the hospital.

Krit Krutchaiyan was kayaking in the water when an alligator brushed up against him and attacked, he told CBS Miami in an interview.

He initially thought the sensation was a tree branch, until the gator grabbed and bit his leg, CBS Miami reports.

Krutchaiyan attempted to scare the gator off with his paddle but unfortunately once he backpedaled to his hunting partner the gator followed, according to CBS Miami.

Read more: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/fla-man-kayak-suffers-inch-leg-gash-from-gator-attack/FisyEWuTFjqQeBgTWj1xnO/
Go to Page: « Prev 1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 81 Next »