HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » TexasTowelie » Journal
Page: « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 98 Next »

TexasTowelie

Profile Information

Gender: Male
Hometown: Texas
Home country: United States
Current location: Red Hell Texas
Member since: Sun Aug 14, 2011, 03:57 AM
Number of posts: 76,939

About Me

Middle-aged white guy who believes in justice and equality for all. Math and computer analyst with additional 21st century jack-of-all-trades skills. I'm a stud, not a dud!

Journal Archives

Oilfield waste facility must close, clean up site

KILLDEER, N.D. – An oilfield waste treating plant north of Killdeer with a history of not complying with state rules must close after state regulators denied the facility a permit this week.

Renewable Resources also will be required to properly dispose of a stockpile of oilfield waste that was recently estimated to be nearly four times the amount the facility was allowed to store, according to the North Dakota Department of Health.

The health department first granted a permit in 2012 to Renewable Resources of Killdeer, which processes oil-contaminated waste and drill cuttings, a byproduct of oil production that contains hydrocarbons and has a high salt content.

Recent changes in state regulations required Renewable Resources to get a treating plant permit from the North Dakota Industrial Commission.

Read more: http://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/oilfield-waste-facility-must-close-clean-up-site/article_272cd2bd-a5bb-5323-8a31-f442e72988a8.html
Posted by TexasTowelie | Sat Oct 1, 2016, 04:39 AM (0 replies)

Despite cuts and fund transfers, ND budget still projected for $7.6 million shortfall

BISMARCK — Despite more than $1 billion in agency budget cuts and planned fund transfers, North Dakota's general fund budget is still on track to end the biennium with a negative balance, the state's budget director said Thursday, Sept. 29.

The Office of Management and Budget estimates the budget will be $7.6 million in the red by June 30, 2017, even after $396 million in agency cuts and plans to drain the entire $572.5 million Budget Stabilization Fund and withdraw $100 million in profits from the state-owned Bank of North Dakota, Director Pam Sharp told the Legislature's Budget Section.

If the next revenue forecast prepared in November continues to show a negative ending balance, Gov. Jack Dalrymple will propose fixes for it in his executive budget presented to the Legislature in early December, and lawmakers will deal with it when they convene in regular session in January, Sharp said.

Stagnant crude oil prices and fewer-than-expected drilling rigs continue to cut into state tax revenue collections, which fell $9.2 million short of projections in August, Sharp said.

Read more: http://www.inforum.com/news/north-dakota/4125785-despite-cuts-and-fund-transfers-nd-budget-still-projected-76-million
Posted by TexasTowelie | Sat Oct 1, 2016, 04:36 AM (0 replies)

Affluenza teen’s request for a new judge denied

FORT WORTH -- Ethan Couch’s request to have state District Judge Wayne Salvant removed from his case, which could have lead to the teen’s release from jail, has been denied, according to court records.

Judge David Evans, presiding judge of the Eighth Administrative Judicial Region, heard arguments from Couch’s attorneys and prosecutors earlier this week, and denied Couch’s motion in a court filing Thursday afternoon.

In a hearing Tuesday, Couch’s attorneys argued that Salvant — a criminal court judge who in April sent Couch to jail for 720 days as a new condition of his probation — has no authority over Couch because the teen’s case should be considered a civil case.

The attorneys also argued that Salvant has a financial interest in Couch’s case because Couch could sue the judge for wrongful incarceration.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article105132861.html
Posted by TexasTowelie | Sat Oct 1, 2016, 03:58 AM (0 replies)

Customers at Sonic Drive-In location in Fort Worth find racial slurs on receipts

Two customers at a Sonic in Fort Worth were shocked when their lunch receipts included racial slurs Friday.

Tyrone Moseley told KDFW-TV (Channel 4) that he and a co-worker went to the fast-food eatery in the 6200 block of Camp Bowie Boulevard and ordered lunch on the patio.

On their receipts, the lines that usually would have their names instead said "Mexican" and a variation of the N-word.

Moseley said when an employee came outside, he asked her if she knew anything about the racial slurs. After saying no, "she kind of giggled and just walked off," he told KDFW.

Read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/fort-worth/2016/09/30/customers-fort-worth-fast-food-chain-find-racial-slurs-receipts
Posted by TexasTowelie | Sat Oct 1, 2016, 03:56 AM (0 replies)

Crisis at Germany’s Deutsche Bank intensifies, ripples through to Commerzbank

Following a 7.5 percent plunge in its shares at the beginning of the week, the fragility of Deutsche Bank was again demonstrated yesterday when its shares fell a further 7 percent in afternoon trading on Wall Street, following a Bloomberg report that about 10 hedge funds were cutting their exposure to Germany’s largest bank.

While the funds involved constitute only a small fraction of the more than 200 clients engaged in derivatives trading with the bank, it was enough to send its shares plummeting. Deutsche was forced to reissue a statement asserting that the “vast majority” of its clients have a full understanding of “our stable financial position” and the litigation process involving a $14 billion fine imposed on it by the US Department of Justice (DoJ) over its sub-prime mortgage dealings.

As Bloomberg noted, while the vast majority of clients had taken no action, the “hedge funds’ move highlights concerns among some counterparties about doing business with Europe’s largest investment bank.”

-snip-

As Deutsche’s financial woes deepened, Germany’s second largest bank announced a drastic restructuring program on Thursday. Commerzbank will cut one in five jobs, a total of 9,600 positions.

Read more: https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2016/09/30/bank-s30.html
Posted by TexasTowelie | Sat Oct 1, 2016, 01:24 AM (0 replies)

Texas student forced to remove slave costume

TEXAS - (KPRC) A Texas high school student says he was forced to change his outfit after showing up to school dressed as a slave for "Decades Day" at his high school on Tuesday.

Brian Ibe is a senior at Ridge Point High School in Missouri City.

This week is spirit week, in honor of homecoming. Each day, the students dress up in costume according to the day's theme.

On Tuesday, the theme was "Decades Day," and Ibe showed up to school wearing a ball and chain and a shredded T-shirt splattered in fake blood, and he was carrying a pitchfork and bag of cotton.

Read more and watch video at http://www.kristv.com/story/33269040/texas-student-forced-to-remove-slave-costume .

ETA: Ridge Point won the game against Sugar Land Clements 49-3.
Posted by TexasTowelie | Sat Oct 1, 2016, 12:12 AM (2 replies)

Married Republican Politician in Louisiana Being Investigated by FBI for Sexting 17-Year-Old Boy

A Republican politician representing Louisiana’s largest parish is being investigated by the FBI for allegedly having sexted a 17-year-old young man.

Jefferson Parish Presidenti Mike Yenni, who is married to a woman with a young daughter, reportedly met the teen at a function at the teen’s Catholic high school. Yenni, 40, is himself an alumnus of a Louisiana Catholic high school though it is unclear if he attended the same school as the boy with whom he began a relationship.

According to the teen, Yenni was introduced to him by a mutual friend who was 19 at the time.

WWL-TV reports:

Three sources with direct knowledge told WWL-TV that FBI agents have interviewed at least four people about the explicit text messages between Yenni, 40, and a young man who was 17 at the time and is now 19, and collected the teen’s cell phone, apparently to search it.

“We have been made aware of the allegations and are looking into it,” Craig Betbeze, a spokesman for the FBI, said in a November email to the online publication NOLA Defender, which collaborated with WWL-TV on the reporting of this story. Betbeze later confirmed his statement to WWL-TV, but declined to comment further. The teen said his last contact with the FBI was in April.


Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2016/09/mike-yenni/

Judge rejects AG's attempt keep internet address book under U.S. control

GALVESTON -- A federal judge on Friday rejected Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's attempt to block an Obama administration plan to allow a contract with a nonprofit that manages the internet's address book to expire.

U.S. District Judge George C. Hanks Jr. turned down the request by Paxton and attorneys general from Arizona, Oklahoma and Nevada, saying they had relied on "hearsay" about possible repercussions of the contract's expiration. The case, he ruled, lacked enough evidence to convince the court that harm would come from giving up oversight of the nonprofit.

The issue, which has garnered attention from U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz and Attorney General Ken Paxton, concerns fears that the federal government's decision to let a contract with the non-profit Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers expire could jeopardize government websites. ICANN manages the internet domain naming system, which is what allows users to locate websites.

The contract expires at midnight Friday.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/news/politics/texas/article/Judge-to-rule-on-internet-freedom-fight-9517421.php

Texas withdraws from federal refugee resettlement program

Failing to reach an agreement with the federal government by Friday’s deadline, Texas officials say the state is withdrawing from the U.S. Refugee Resettlement Program. But refugees will continue to come to Texas, albeit without the state acting as the middleman between federal dollars and local resettlement agencies.

“Texas has repeatedly requested that the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the director of National Intelligence provide assurances that refugees resettled in Texas will not pose a security threat, and that the number of refugees resettled in Texas would not exceed the state’s original allocation in fiscal year 2016, both of which have been denied by the federal government,” Gov. Greg Abbott said in a statement Friday.

“As a result, Texas will withdraw from the refugee resettlement program,” Abbott said. “As governor, I will continue to prioritize the safety of all Texans and urge the federal government to overhaul this severely broken system.”

Because of a notice requirement, Texas’ withdrawal from the refugee resettlement program will be effective four months after today’s deadline, on Jan. 31.

Read more: http://www.statesman.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/gov-abbott-says-texas-is-leaving-refugee-resettlem/nshns/

Uh-oh, another unscientific poll for you. Survey says...



Credit: Justin Burlin, Texas Democrats Facebook Page
Go to Page: « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 98 Next »