HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » TexasTowelie » Journal
Page: « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 98 Next »

TexasTowelie

Profile Information

Gender: Male
Hometown: Texas
Home country: United States
Current location: Red Hell Texas
Member since: Sun Aug 14, 2011, 03:57 AM
Number of posts: 76,938

About Me

Middle-aged white guy who believes in justice and equality for all. Math and computer analyst with additional 21st century jack-of-all-trades skills. I'm a stud, not a dud!

Journal Archives

Indy Council GOP offers $20M road plan, setting up battle with Hogsett

Indianapolis Republicans on Thursday introduced a proposal to spend $20 million on roads and sidewalks, using money released earlier this year by the state, setting up a showdown with Mayor Joe Hogsett and the Democrat-controlled City-County Council ahead of next month's budget vote.

After years of acrimony between the council and Republican Mayor Greg Ballard, the proposal could represent the first major legislative challenge of Hogsett's first year in office. Hogsett's Democratic Party holds just a one-seat advantage on the 25-member council, and two swing votes — one in each party — have suggested they may break with party leaders on this issue.

The Indiana General Assembly earlier this year released $52 million in local income tax money to local governments, earmarking $39 million of it for infrastructure. Republicans want to spend the $39 million on roads and sidewalks. But the Hogsett administration has proposed keeping the money in a rainy day fund in 2017 to shore up the city's dwindling reserves.

Instead, Hogsett has proposed a $50 million-a-year infrastructure plan that calls for $20 million in road bonds. That's part of a larger $75 million series of bonds for projects that include parks, two new fire stations and a public safety dispatch system.

Read more: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2016/09/29/indy-council-gop-offers-20m-road-plan-setting-up-battle-hogsett/91228724/

Carrier Corporation workers eligible for federal aid

WASHINGTON — Workers losing their jobs because of Carrier Corp.’s decision to move its Indianapolis operations to Mexico qualify for federal assistance, the Labor Department has determined.

The 1,400 employees can receive income, education and training, and other assistance from a program for those who lose their jobs because of foreign competition.

“These workers, losing their jobs through no fault of their own, will have access to the resources and training they may need to find new opportunities,” Sen. Joe Donnelly, D-Ind., said Wednesday.

The air conditioner manufacturer’s decision to move production to Mexico has played a role in this year’s presidential campaign. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has repeatedly used Carrier as an example of the effects of bad trade policy, including in his initial remarks in Monday’s presidential debate.

Read more: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2016/09/28/carrier-workers-eligible-federal-aid/91242876/

State suspends car dealership licenses in Mason and Jackson

MASON - The Michigan Secretary of State has suspended the business license of Great Lakes Auto Inc. after the state found numerous violations during an inspection prompted by consumer complaints.

Secretary of State Ruth Johnson said in a news release that inspectors went to the dealership at 1251 N. Cedar St. in Mason after customers complained they had not received titles in a timely manner. During an inspection, however, officials also found the dealership had failed to apply for titles and registration in buyers' names, failed to maintain the necessary surety bonds, sold vehicles without proper titles, included false information on title applications and at least nine checks to the state bounced.

Some of those failures could make it difficult for buyers to legally prove they own their cars, Johnson said in the release.

Dealers can appeal their license suspension and may regain their license if they prove they are following state law.

Read more: http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2016/09/29/state-suspends-mason-car-dealership/91261442/

Pontiac man, 24, set to be charged for threats on circuit judge, Oakland County courthouse

A Pontiac man is now jailed and set to be charged after allegedly making threats to kill an Oakland County Circuit judge and bomb the county courthouse, according to authorities.

Anthony Jeffrey Brodie, 24, is set to be arraigned via video Thursday morning in Pontiac’s 50th District Court on a felony warrant that charges him with a false report of terrorism, which is a 20-year felony that comes with a fine of up to $20,000.

Brodie’s charge stems from an incident in early September in which he told a friend he feared he wouldn’t be treated fairly in a child custody case in Judge Lisa Gorcyca’s court.

Oakland County Undersheriff Michael McCabe said Brodie became enraged during the discussion and stated he would kill Judge Gorcyca and blow up the Oakland County Sixth Circuit Court building on the county government campus.

Read more: http://www.theoaklandpress.com/general-news/20160929/pontiac-man-24-set-to-be-charged-for-threats-on-circuit-judge-county-courthouse

Oakland University president to step down in 2017, university to begin national search

Oakland University has announced that President George Hynd will step down after his three-year contract is up in August of 2017 and that the university will soon begin a search for his replacement.

The Oakland University Board of Trustees has yet to put together the official search committee or choose a search firm. The goal, stated Richard DeVore, vice chair of the board, is to have the next president on by June of 2017 to fully transition into the position under the guidance of Hynd.

“When we hired President Hynd we were clearly in a troubled time and we were looking for a leader who could be a transitional leader,” DeVore said.

The decision to not renew Hynd’s contract was made by the board. Hynd’s contract is worth $400,000 annually, according to DeVore.

Read more: http://www.theoaklandpress.com/general-news/20160929/ou-president-to-step-down-in-2017-university-to-begin-national-search

Tesla exec says Michigan's ban on direct sales will deter investment

A Tesla Motors executive said today that Michigan's denial of the electric car makers license to sell cars directly to consumers won't help a future bid by the state to attract a Tesla assembly plant.

Diarmuid O'Connell, Tesla vice president of business development, spoke Thursday morning at the World Mobility Leadership Forum at the Westin Metro Airport. He said Tesla has dozens, "if not hundreds of suppliers" in Michigan, including a tool and die operation in Grand Rapids, but that didn't help its effort to get a retail license.

Tesla so far has sold luxury electric cars ranging in price from about $70,000 to $125,000. But by late 2017, cofounder and CEO Elon Musk has promised to launch production of a new Model 3 that will be priced at about $35,000.

About 400,000 people have given Tesla $1,000 deposits for that car. If the company produces that many cars it may need to build a second assembly plant to augment its sole plant in Fremont, Calif.

Read more: http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2016/09/29/tesla-exec-says-michigans-ban-wont-attract-investment/91265328/

House votes to expand Michigan FOIA law

LANSING — The state House passed a package of bills Wednesday that for the first time in Michigan would subject the governor's office and the Legislature to state open records laws.

The Free Press
reported in 2014 that Michigan was one of only two states in which both the governor and the Legislature have blanket exemptions from public records disclosure laws.

The bills — 10 in all — would expand the Michigan Freedom of Information Act to apply to the governor and his executive office staff and set up a new Legislative Open Records Act to apply to lawmakers and the Legislature.

"Without (open records) laws in place, the citizens have reason to be suspicious ... they have reason to have diminished trust in their government, in their leaders," Rep. Ed McBroom, R-Vulcan, told fellow lawmakers before the vote.

Read more: http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2016/09/21/michigan-foia-law-vote/90776346/

Zoning settlement: Islamic school can build near Ann Arbor

PITTSFIELD TOWNSHIP — An Islamic school has settled a federal lawsuit against a Michigan township that denied zoning for a new school building.

The Michigan Islamic Academy will get $1.7 million and can build a school and housing on the land in Pittsfield Township, near Ann Arbor. Township officials approved the settlement Wednesday.

The academy sued after the township, in 2011, rejected its request to build. The academy says its current Ann Arbor location is insufficient to meet its religious and secular needs.

Township officials also settled a Justice Department suit that said it violated a law that prohibits imposing land use regulations that put a substantial burden on religious exercise.

Read more: http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/09/29/islamic-school-township-settle-lawsuit-over-zoning-denial/91280114/

Police respond to Kathy Miller's home over death threats after racism remarks

BOARDMAN -- Kathy Miller, who resigned as Donald Trump’s Mahoning County chairwoman and a Republican member of the Electoral College after making “inappropriate” remarks about black Americans and racism, called police to report a threat made against her.

Miller, a former township trustee, called police to her Boardman residence on Creston Drive around 9:20 p.m. Saturday for a specific text message that read: “I know where you live and you will pay for your comments you {expletive},” according to a report.

She told police she has been receiving unwanted texts and calls from a variety of numbers, making threats against her life and property. The threats, she believes, are related to her controversial statement to The Guardian about racism that was published last Thursday.

In a text message Wednesday to The Vindicator, Miller said she received harassing phone calls, text messages, emails and letters.

- See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/sep/28/police-respond-kathy-millers-home-over-death-threa/

[font color=330099]The death threats (if true) are inexcusable, but she brought a lot of this upon herself.[/font]

Ex-concert promoter faces prison in $200 million fraud

MIAMI — A former South Florida concert promoter who staged tours for major acts such as the Rolling Stones, Elton John and Aerosmith is facing prison for what prosecutors say was a $200 million fraud scheme.

A Miami federal judge is scheduled today to sentence 73-year-old Jack Utsick, who pleaded guilty in June to a mail fraud charge. He could get up to 20 years behind bars, although his lawyers are seeking about six years.

Prosecutors say Utsick operated his Worldwide Entertainment Inc. promotion company as a Ponzi scheme, repaying older investors with money from newer ones. The scheme allegedly defrauded about 3,000 investors out of more than $200 million.

Utsick was extradited from Brazil in 2014 and has been jailed since. His lawyers claim investor losses were far lower.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Nation/2016/09/29/Ex-concert-promoter-faces-prison-in-200-million-fraud.html
Go to Page: « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 98 Next »