HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » TexasTowelie » Journal
Page: « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 4326 Next »

TexasTowelie

Profile Information

Gender: Male
Hometown: Texas
Home country: United States
Current location: Red Hell Texas
Member since: Sun Aug 14, 2011, 03:57 AM
Number of posts: 76,255

About Me

Middle-aged white guy who believes in justice and equality for all. Math and computer analyst with additional 21st century jack-of-all-trades skills. I'm a stud, not a dud!

Journal Archives

Baltimore Police sergeant charged with extortion, kidnapping; commissioner says 3 other officers

Baltimore Police sergeant charged with extortion, kidnapping; commissioner says 3 other officers allegedly involved


A Baltimore Police Department sergeant assigned to the homicide unit was arrested Thursday night in Baltimore County and charged with extortion and kidnapping, officials said.

Baltimore County Police said James Lloyd, 45, of Gwynn Oak is in custody and awaiting a bail review hearing. Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison said that he will also be suspended without pay and that an internal affairs investigation has been launched. No attorney was listed for Lloyd in online court records. If found guilty, Lloyd could face up to 40 years in prison.

Harrison said in a statement Thursday night that three other homicide detectives were allegedly involved, and their police powers were also suspended. The detectives will be assigned to administrative duties, pending an internal investigation. The commissioner did not name them, and Baltimore County police did not mention them in its news release.

County police said they were called to the 2000 block of Emmanuel Court for a dispute about a home improvement job.

Read more: https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/bs-md-ci-cr-bpd-detective-arrested-20200710-fb2ctzpkondxhdmreklugc75n4-story.html

Sanity trial in Capital Gazette shooting postponed amid pandemic

ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- Court proceedings to determine criminal sanity for a man who pleaded guilty to killing five people at Maryland newspaper have been postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Jarrod Ramos' pre-trial hearings have been moved to August and a sanity trial was moved to December in the Capital Gazette murder case, news outlets reported. Additional dates are reserved in September for pre-trial motions if needed.

This is just the latest delay after repeated postponements.

Ramos pleaded guilty but not criminally responsible by reason of insanity in October to all 23 counts against him for killing John McNamara, Gerald Fischman, Wendi Winters, Rob Hiaasen and Rebecca Smith in the 2018 newsroom rampage at the Capital Gazette.

Pre-trial hearings would determine, among other things, whether the defense can get records pertaining to a prosecution expert's jail visit.

Read more: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/sanity-trial-newspaper-shooting-postponed-amid-pandemic-71667130

10 more Rehoboth Beach lifeguards test positive for COVID-19

Ten more Rehoboth Beach lifeguards have tested positive for COVID-19, according to a city spokesperson.

The city announced last week that three asymptomatic lifeguards tested positive for the virus. With additional testing for the rest of the beach patrol, that number has increased to 13.

Rehoboth Beach Communications Specialist Krys Johnson told Delmarva Now of Wednesday that one to two of the lifeguards have exhibited symptoms, while the remainder have been asymptomatic.

These lifeguards will be out of commission until they've been medically cleared, but Johnson explained that the beach patrol's current staffing level allows for lifeguards to be reconfigured so that the beach is safely covered.

Read more: https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/local/delaware/2020/07/08/rehoboth-beach-more-lifeguards-test-positive-coronavirus/5391804002/

Hogan Admin. Not 'Terribly Forthcoming' About How It's Spending Relief Funds

Maryland received a massive pot of COVID-19 relief money from the federal government, but how much of that money will be spent remains unknown even to state legislators.

Gov. Lawrence J. Hogan (R) hasn’t been transparent about how he plans to use millions in relief funds from the federal government, David C. Romans, a fiscal policy and analysis coordinator with the Maryland Department of Legislative Services, told lawmakers during a virtual Thursday morning Senate Budget and Taxation Committee briefing.

“The administration has not been terribly forthcoming about how they plan to use that money, except through press releases,” Romans said. “None of this money technically should be spent without a budget amendment being processed.”

He said the Hogan administration has pledged more than $1 billion in federal relief funding for local governments, but added that around $450 million remains unallocated. Romans added that most of his information came from the governor’s news releases.

Read more: https://www.marylandmatters.org/blog/analyst-hogan-admin-not-terribly-forthcoming-about-how-its-spending-relief-funds/

Former state representative, WWII vet dies

Flags are to be flown at half-staff on Friday, July 10, in honor of former Rep. Donald Clark (D-Kenton).

Clark died at the age of 96 on June 24. He was first elected to the Delaware House of Representatives in 1982 as the 29th district’s representative and served in the general assembly for twelve years. While there, he chaired the agriculture committee and served on the small business and natural resources committees.

Clark grew up on a farm in Kenton and graduated from Dover High School a semester early to join the Air Force. He was 21 in Jan. 1945, when he began flying planes in Europe. Over the last five months of the war, he flew 81 missions, 27 of which involved combat.

After returned home to Kenton, Clark started a crop dusting business, which at one point had six planes. He sold that business after 10 years and started Clark Seeds, a business still owned and operated by his family today.

Read more: https://www.middletowntranscript.com/news/20200709/former-state-rep-wwii-vet-dies

US economy may be stalling out as viral outbreak worsens

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. economy is stumbling as the viral outbreak intensifies, threatening to slow hiring and deepening the uncertainty for employees, consumers and companies across the country.

Coronavirus case counts are rising in 38 states, and the nation as a whole has been shattering single-day records for new confirmed cases. In six states representing one-third of the economy — Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Michigan, and Texas — governors are reversing their reopening plans. Reopening efforts are on pause in 15 other states.

The reversals are keeping layoffs elevated and threatening to weaken hiring. More than 1.3 million people applied for unemployment benefits last week, the Labor Department said Thursday, down from 1.4 million the previous week but still roughly double the pre-pandemic weekly record. Applications had fallen steadily in April and May but have barely declined in the past month.

Jobless claims “are stalled out at a new normal of over a million new claims every week,” said Daniel Zhao, an economist at Glassdoor. “The virus is in the driver’s seat and we’re along for the ride until the current public health crisis is resolved.”

Read more: https://delawarestatenews.net/nation/us-economy-may-be-stalling-out-as-viral-outbreak-worsens/

Delaware State University to acquire Wesley College

DOVER — Delaware State University is slated to acquire Wesley College by next summer, officials announced Thursday.

“Despite so much uncertainty on many fronts nationally, this is a unique opportunity for the university and the state of Delaware. The time for bold innovation for young people is now, particularly for students who have made it to college by sheer determination against sometimes enormous odds,” said DSU President Tony Allen in a prepared statement.

“Acquiring a college like Wesley, which serves a very similar student base, boasts strong academic programs, and brings sustained economic impact to Downtown Dover and Kent County, is a significant step closer to our broader vision — a substantively diverse, contemporary and unapologetically Historically Black College or University,” he continued.

Dr. Allen and Wesley President Bob Clark signed a definitive agreement Thursday that will see the DSU acquire Wesley no later than June 2021.

Read more: https://delawarestatenews.net/news/delaware-state-university-to-acquire-wesley-college/

Congressmen Castro And Doggett Want Brooke Army Medical To Help San Antonio With COVID-19 Caseload

SAN ANTONIO -- As coronavirus cases surge in Bexar County and hospitals near capacity, U.S. Representatives Lloyd Doggett and Joaquin Castro are urging Brooke Army Medical Center to do more to help.

Fort Sam Houston’s Brooke Army Medical Center won’t take civilian coronavirus patients unless they are military dependents or retirees. Pentagon policy bars it from doing so.

Congressmen Lloyd Doggett and Joaquin Castro are throwing their weight behind efforts to change that.

“We put in immediate inquiries, both to the Defense Department and to the Armed Services Committee in the House to see what we can do to remove obstacles,” Doggett said. “This is an opportunity for our San Antonio neighbors that work at BAMC and the facilities of BAMC to be available to help us at a time of great need.”

Read more: https://www.tpr.org/post/congressmen-castro-and-doggett-want-brooke-army-medical-help-san-antonio-covid-19-caseload

Rio Grande Valley COVID-19: Judge Cortez Says 'Tsunami' Of Cases Has Hit Hidalgo County

Hidalgo County officials announced 20 deaths and 1,274 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, setting new records for single-day reports in cases and fatalities. There are now 123 recorded COVID-19 fatalities, over half of which were reported this week.

One of Thursday's reported deaths was a male in his 20s from McAllen and 16 individuals who died were in their 70s.

“Several months ago, I warned of a potential tsunami if we did not take this more seriously,” Judge Richard F. Cortez said during a briefing on social media Thursday. “The tsunami is here.”

There are now 7,334 known cases of COVID-19 in the county: 4,375 of which are still active while 2,836 individuals have recovered. Hidalgo County hospitals are treating 741 COVID-19 patients including 194 in intensive care.

Read more: https://www.tpr.org/post/rgv-covid-19-judge-cortez-says-tsunami-cases-has-hit-hidalgo-county

New Mexico postpones high school fall contact sports

LAS CRUCES – New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham announced Thursday that contact sports will not be permitted this fall at the high school level.

The postponement includes both football and soccer for now, although the briefing also stated that non-contact sports such as volleyball and cross country are under review and will "likely" have delayed starts to seasons.

Lujan Grisham didn't rule out the possibility of modifying said sports' schedules to resume in the spring either with the contingency that schools are reopened at that time.

"It was a little bit expected," Las Cruces football head coach Mark Lopez said. "We've had conversations about this for a couple of weeks... I felt like this gave us a better opportunity to keep everybody safe and also play a full season in the spring, so that's what I'm still looking forward to."

Read more: https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/sports/college/nmsu/2020/07/09/new-mexico-governor-postpones-high-school-fall-contact-sports/5410426002/
Go to Page: « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 4326 Next »