Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

2016 Postmortem

Showing Original Post only (View all)

BainsBane

(52,983 posts)
Wed Nov 23, 2016, 01:23 AM Nov 2016

Why did Hillary Clinton lose the GE? [View all]

Please pick the response you believe most relevant. Obviously most of us agree a number of factors played a role, but I'd like to see which people rank first.


33 votes, 2 passes | Time left: Unlimited
The vote counts were hacked or otherwise fraudulent
8 (24%)
Jim Comey
4 (12%)
TPP-economic policies
0 (0%)
Racism and misogyny
3 (9%)
Voter suppression
1 (3%)
Hillary was too flawed
15 (45%)
Third party voters
0 (0%)
The divisive nature of the primary
1 (3%)
Obstacles of an Incumbent party following 8yr presidency
1 (3%)
Identity politics
0 (0%)
Show usernames
Disclaimer: This is an Internet poll
49 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Comey was the thing that turned what was in her favor. but i think if there was a more active JI7 Nov 2016 #1
I should add that BainsBane Nov 2016 #3
No more room. Nt BainsBane Nov 2016 #4
It falls under "Hillary too flawed" FBaggins Nov 2016 #31
I don't think there was any one thing, as you said mvd Nov 2016 #9
that doesn't explain anti free trade candidates like Stickland and Feingold losing JI7 Nov 2016 #10
I think it may have been a coattail effect. Would have done better mvd Nov 2016 #12
no, Johnson and Portman got more votes than Trump. JI7 Nov 2016 #13
Again I say if Clinton did better, our candidates would have mvd Nov 2016 #14
you said the thing about populist and outsider. but Johnson and Portman doing much better goes JI7 Nov 2016 #16
Not really mvd Nov 2016 #17
Adding in mvd Nov 2016 #20
True, but arguing that the failure to denounce free trade BainsBane Nov 2016 #19
Also you could say pointing to a couple candidates doesn't tell the whole story either mvd Nov 2016 #22
all three of the blue states that flipped were crippled by NAFTA.... those voters didn't like her putitinD Nov 2016 #25
I also think Comey alone could have done it all. Well, him and the press. LisaL Nov 2016 #18
Here is what I DON'T understand RandySF Nov 2016 #2
I think that's an issue of turn out BainsBane Nov 2016 #5
It was like the scene in Gladiator where the tigers start leaping out of the ground. ucrdem Nov 2016 #6
Sadly, this is much bigger than Hillary. Hillary can't be used to explain away a Republican- Trust Buster Nov 2016 #7
Do any of the options above help you explain that? BainsBane Nov 2016 #8
It's never just one thing but an accumulative buildup of many things. Serial low voter turnout Trust Buster Nov 2016 #11
I can't disagree with that. BainsBane Nov 2016 #21
The Dems & The Campaign Ran Against Trump vs The Repug Party.... global1 Nov 2016 #24
It would have breaked convention but exboyfil Nov 2016 #34
All off the above. dogman Nov 2016 #15
Too flawed. She's a woman and she had the temerity to run for president? WTF was she thinking! tandem5 Nov 2016 #23
It's possible to believe there was more than one reason for the loss. Ken Burch Nov 2016 #26
Oftentimes things have multiple causes, acting synergistically. Warren DeMontague Nov 2016 #27
I agree BainsBane Nov 2016 #28
The Dems could have ran FDR .... LenaBaby61 Nov 2016 #29
Seven out of ten apply, IMHO. BlueProgressive Nov 2016 #30
She didn't get enough votes in a few swing states. lovemydog Nov 2016 #32
The wrong people voted for her Freddie Nov 2016 #33
I don't believe she lost the GE DFW Nov 2016 #35
Can't pick one of those because... Mike Nelson Nov 2016 #36
I think it was a combination of factors but the balance due Starry Messenger Nov 2016 #37
#1, #2 and #5. baldguy Nov 2016 #38
I went with Comey, but he acted out of misogyny. boston bean Nov 2016 #39
Maybe partially due to the uneven recovery many a good man Nov 2016 #40
Uninformed idiots that thought Hillary was too flawed. nt LexVegas Nov 2016 #41
Name calling rather than logically explaining your position for why I & others are wrong think Nov 2016 #43
Better you try to explain why Clinton was flawed. baldguy Nov 2016 #45
WaPo: "Hillary Clinton voters see lots of flaws in their candidate" think Nov 2016 #46
BZZZZZT! You lose. baldguy Nov 2016 #48
60% airtime/media - some mix of remaining 40% several factors underpants Nov 2016 #42
The Electoral College treestar Nov 2016 #44
Mostly we allow degenerates in flyover states to vote. AngryAmish Nov 2016 #47
I'm in a flyover state BainsBane Nov 2016 #49
Latest Discussions»Retired Forums»2016 Postmortem»Why did Hillary Clinton l...»Reply #0