Saudi Terror Suspect Surrenders, as Counterterrorism Officials Appear to Be Targets of Islamic Militants
By Adnan Malik Associated Press Writer
Published: Dec 30, 2003
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) - A terror suspect surrendered to Saudi police Tuesday, and a Western diplomat said Islamic militants who have attacked foreigners in the kingdom appear to have homed in on a new target - senior members of the Saudi security services.
<snip>
Last month, U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage said the recent attacks appeared to be aimed at bringing down Saudi Arabia's ruling royal family, and Saudi officials made the same point after the November car bombing.
Bin Laden has long been opposed the royal family, saying it is insufficiently Islamic and too close to the United States. Saudi authorities have stripped bin Laden of his citizenship in the kingdom.
http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACFVCHUOD.htmlHeadline shortened to fit space.
Final paragraphs are a good reminder about the background of the bin Laden insurgency against the Saud's.