Thursday, May 06, 2004
Associated Press
GENEVA — The international Red Cross said Thursday that it had repeatedly asked U.S. authorities to take action over alleged prisoner abuse at Iraq's Abu Ghraib (search) prison before recent revelations about the way detainees were treated.
"We were aware of what was going on, and based on our findings we have repeatedly requested the U.S. authorities to take corrective action," said Nada Doumani, spokeswoman for the International Committee of the Red Cross (search), speaking from Amman, Jordan.
"We've been visiting Abu Ghraib prison since already from last year," Doumani told The Associated Press. "We are of course aware of the situation since we talk with the detainees privately.
"We get testimony from them. We visit all the premises in this place. We crosscheck information we receive from different detainees. Definitely we were aware of what was going on in Abu Ghraib.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,119157,00.htmlWhich U.S. authorities were notified. I wonder? Me Book