Fort Carson Crime Study Due for ReleaseDecember 10, 2008
The Gazette, Colorado Springs,Colo.
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Preliminary findings of a study on violent crimes committed by Fort Carson combat veterans could be released next week, the Army said in a letter released by U.S. Sen. Ken Salazar.
The senator asked for the study in the wake of a string of Colorado Springs killings that involved Iraq war veterans as suspects. In a letter to Salazar, Army Secretary Peter Geren said the study was making headway.
"I will provide you an update on our progress and any preliminary findings by Dec. 15," Geren told Salazar.
Salazar called for the review in October after Colorado Springs police arrested Spc. Robert Hull Marko on suspicion of murder and rape in the death of a 19-year-old woman. Other troops from Marko's unit, the 4th Brigade Combat Team of the 4th Infantry Division, were charged in the deaths of two fellow Soldiers last year and in the June shooting deaths of a couple placing garage sale signs in their neighborhood.
The brigade returned from in late 2007 after 15 months of fighting in Baghdad.
Rest of article at:
http://www.military.com/news/article/fort-carson-crime-study-due-for-release.html?col=1186032310810