HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Who "lost" family over Po...

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 02:08 PM

Who "lost" family over Politics this year?

At thanksgiving our family had terrible shouting matches over politics. I just left the room and decided to go for a walk. It was bad - I think everyone made good, but there was a dark cloud over that family get together and it may never be the same again.

Do you have any stories?

11 replies, 1364 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Who "lost" family over Politics this year? (Original post)
Joe941 Dec 2017 OP
DURHAM D Dec 2017 #1
global1 Dec 2017 #2
safeinOhio Dec 2017 #3
Arkansas Granny Dec 2017 #4
handmade34 Dec 2017 #5
samplegirl Dec 2017 #6
blueinredohio Dec 2017 #10
Paladin Dec 2017 #7
MrScorpio Dec 2017 #8
lindysalsagal Dec 2017 #9
PoindexterOglethorpe Dec 2017 #11

Response to Joe941 (Original post)

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 02:13 PM

1. Yes, but it happened in the mid 60s.

The Vietnam divide in my extended family never healed.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 02:14 PM

2. I've Lost Life Long Friends This Past Year Over Politics.....

I have lost total respect for them. I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion - but when they try to defend the absurd - I just can't get past that.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 02:21 PM

3. No family....

No problem....

Only a brother that lives 600 miles away and he no fan of trump.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 02:27 PM

4. I am very fortunate when it comes to family and politics.

All the immediate family are liberals, to some degree, so we don't have to worry about arguments over politics during holiday get togethers. It's easier to have family together when you don't have to walk on eggshells to avoid a big blowup.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 02:31 PM

5. yes

but I will not abide anyone who has contributed to this nightmare

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 02:54 PM

6. Well mine was a doozy

My brother came for dinner as he is a widower. My friend asked him what it was that he liked about Trump. His reply was he couldnít vote for Hillary. My friend a fellow D. U.er and lifetime friend told him how he voted against his entire family as they were all at poverty level. My blood pressure soared as he went on to praise Trump for not taking any shit! It was all I could do but not to grab his plate from him and tell him to go find some Republican table that served the kinda meal I make each year 2 days worth of work and around 200.00 to serve complete with shrimp cocktails a treat for us. Mind you Iím his sister 60 years old lost my job in March with Rite Aid and my husband at a lower wage job and school loan since the age of 55 after his factory job was sold out to a Japanese company and heís going on and on about Trump! I explained that not all of us were lucky enough to retire with a pension before Buxh took office and God most of our 401K gone. The bottom line was telling him how lucky his generation was and how me and my husband both started over and heís voting against us...as I feed him at my table. Heís a snowbird and spends his winter in Flordia while my husband is working 12 hour shifts plowing snow weekends included! My mother and father were rolling in their graves Iím sure as I was the only child who took my mother in after my fathers death and cared for her lovingly in my home for 10 years and my husband never even claimed her on his taxes. Heís told me to quit posting things about Trump when he calls me from Florida!Calling to find out if my husband needs to check on his house here! Same old story greedy white men who can afford his lifestyle and vote against everything my father fought for! I wonít tell my husband to check on his house! He can stay in Flordia and drink his umbrella drinks and hire someone to check on his house. Heís ate his last meal at my table! Brother or not! Iím scrubbing toilets and cleaning floors and apartments for government subsides housing at age 60! Fuck my brother and anyone who voted Trump.... we are tired of starting over!

Reply to this post

Response to samplegirl (Reply #6)

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 04:26 PM

10. If your brothers old enough for S.S. and Medicare I hope he doesn't cry too loud

when republicans start cutting them. But I don't blame you I would do the same thing.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 03:04 PM

7. I've essentially written off one of my son-in-laws.

He worships trump, mainly because of a perception that the new tax law will benefit him and his business, to the extent of a few thousand dollars. I honestly believe that my son-in-law wouldn't mind if trump imposed a dictatorship on this country tomorrow morning---just as long as those tax savings remained in place. Luckily he and my daughter live far away, so I don't have to tolerate him very often or for very long. I probably ought to feel guilty about these feelings...but I don't.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 03:12 PM

8. I lost family period...

Nothing to do with politics though

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 03:15 PM

9. I was able to bring my gop parents around during bush: Now they watch msnbc too much.

They despise the gop now. So, we're good.

I knew Dad was never going back when I saw the "Somewhere in Texas a villiage is missing it's idiot" magnet appeared on the fridge.

He made me promise not to tell my sisters that he voted for Kerry. Lol!

So, I know life-long republicans can sometimes be turned: They won't unless you are someone they know and love and trust, and only if you have good, clear, irrefutable evidence. I showed them our own U.S. foreign affairs website where they predicted how many iraqis would die after the occupation to dysentary and destroyed roads and hospitals...clearly we were intent on killing, not freeing iraqis.

Nothing they could say about it when it was our own foreign affairs govt website. Then, after the wmd's never appeared, they got angry and tore up their membership cards and mailed them back to the local office.,...

I doubt it's as easy when it's about religion: Mine were already off organized religion. You may never break through that. Religious people are already blind and deaf, and have been conditioned to expect and even enjoy counter arguments. It strengthens their attachment because they become defenders of jesus. Religions feed off of an us-vs-them paradigm. If your family subscribe to that, you're screwed. They'll give you up willingly for ghosts they'll never see. In some ways religion can be even more reliable than human relationships: Humans will eventually let you down, but there is never a moment when you can say, "There! That was the moment god wasn't here...." cause he's never there.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 30, 2017, 01:34 AM

11. Well, my older brother has been an asshole Republican for quite a while.

He lives about 2,000 miles from me, the distance between New Mexico and DC, and I don't see him very often. Just as well.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread