General Discussion
Related: Editorials & Other Articles, Issue Forums, Alliance Forums, Region ForumsAn Operative (George Nader) With Trump Ties Was Once Indicted on an Obscenity Charge
A political operative who frequented the White House in the early days of President Trumps administration, George Nader, was indicted in 1985 on charges of importing to the United States obscene material, including photos of nude boys engaged in a variety of sexual acts, according to publicly available court records. Nader pleaded not guilty, and the charges against him were ultimately dismissed several months after evidence seized from Naders home was thrown out on procedural grounds.
Nevertheless, the indictment raises questions about what the White House knew, if anything, about Naders past while senior officials were meeting with him. The Trump administration is already under fire for failures to vet members of the presidents inner circle. The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Naders name has surfaced in recent days with reports that he is a cooperating witness in Robert Muellers investigation.
The Secret Service runs a check on every White House visitor, said Mark Zaid, an attorney who specializes in national-security law. It's just due diligence on the part of the White House to do a simple search, he said. That includes a check of criminal databases. Id be very surprised if they didnt know, Zaid said.
... snip
Reports that Nader is now involved in the special counsels investigation add a new dimension to the Russia scandal that continues to plague the presidency. The New York Times reported earlier this week that Nadera 58-year-old businessman and close adviser to the effective ruler of the United Arab Emirates, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyanis now a cooperating witness in Muellers inquiry.
More: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/03/an-operative-with-trump-ties-was-once-indicted-on-an-obscenity-charge/555233/?utm_source=atltw
50 Shades Of Blue
(11,503 posts)Leghorn21
(14,113 posts)MelissaB
(16,595 posts)Frustratedlady
(16,254 posts)Charges dismissed after evidence thrown out? Why?
Curious that this pops up at this time. Convenient?
Kirk Lover
(3,608 posts)and he was there to coordinate the annual boy scout jamboree. So if someone wants to work that angle...that's what I got for ya.
sharedvalues
(6,916 posts)Thank you Josh Marshall for being a shining light in this corporate owned, rightwing biased, profit seeking, infotainment media of ours.
TPM is the real deal. A media outlet that is unafraid to tell the truth even when reality has its normal liberal bias.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/this-seems-quite-noteworthy
robertpaulsen
(8,697 posts)It's not like he was a pedophile 30 years ago and suddenly stopped!
unc70
(6,514 posts)Those stories went from front page WaPo to completely off the radar almost overnight. Little follow up even after multiple revelations regarding Hastert, et al.
Kick in to the DU tip jar?
This week we're running a special pop-up mini fund drive. From Monday through Friday we're going ad-free for all registered members, and we're asking you to kick in to the DU tip jar to support the site and keep us financially healthy.
As a bonus, making a contribution will allow you to leave kudos for another DU member, and at the end of the week we'll recognize the DUers who you think make this community great.