HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "stout," "dark" and "not ...

Sun Jul 1, 2018, 02:12 AM

"stout," "dark" and "not pretty enough"

?quality=90&auto=webp

BEIJING — For a moment, it looked as if China’s rigid beauty standards were on the brink of being upended — or at least expanded slightly.

“Produce 101,” a popular online talent show, puts women through their paces for one of 11 spots in a female pop band; at first, Wang Ju, a 25-year-old model manager who’d almost lost her place on the show earlier in the season, seemed an unlikely candidate for success. But over the course of a few weeks in June, Ms. Wang rode a mounting wave of public affection to find herself, as of midmonth, ranked second among the show’s 22 finalists. Suddenly, Chinese commentators were at pains to explain just how Ms. Wang — a woman Chinese media variously referred to as “stout,” “dark” and “not pretty enough” — got there.

Anyone outside China might be surprised to learn that Ms. Wang has been viewed as a mold breaker: She is, in fact, rather pretty, and her body hardly seems outside the range of average. But in a sea of bai shou meis, Ms. Wang’s differences — her slightly darker skin, her slightly larger body, and her unwillingness to apologize for them — made her stand out. Ms. Wang embraced her so-called flaws: In one video, she was shown jokingly grabbing her stomach in front of a more slender friend, who later offered her a slice of pizza. And she displayed a self-confidence that drew comparisons to American pop stars like Beyoncé: A rap she performed included the English lyrics “You don’t have to put a ring on me, I can buy my own (bling bling).”

-----

6 replies, 2328 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply "stout," "dark" and "not pretty enough" (Original post)
Demovictory9 Jul 2018 OP
blogslut Jul 2018 #1
Demovictory9 Jul 2018 #2
Brainstormy Jul 2018 #3
betsuni Jul 2018 #4
Dave Starsky Jul 2018 #5
Iggo Jul 2018 #6

Response to blogslut (Reply #1)

Sun Jul 1, 2018, 02:33 AM

2. oops. thanks

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Demovictory9 (Original post)

Sun Jul 1, 2018, 08:19 AM

3. I should be so stout, dark, and ugly! :) n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 1, 2018, 08:30 AM

4. I live in Japan and understand completely.

The men and women I find attractive are far outside the rules for conventional attractiveness here. Ms. Wang is gorgeous.

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 1, 2018, 08:47 AM

5. She kind of looks smokin' to me...

But I'm not Chinese, so what do I know?

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 1, 2018, 09:17 AM

6. In the last important words of The Last Samurai, "They are all perfect." (n/t)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread