HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Hillary supporter here, i...

Tue Jan 8, 2019, 02:36 PM

Hillary supporter here, in defense of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

In 2016 I supported Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders.

The AOC obsession of right wingers and even some liberals such as Whoopi Goldberg remind me of the obsession with Hillary from the raqdical right and left.

Now Whoopi is telling Ocasio-Cortez to shut up. Weren't we all upset when Kamala Harris was told to shut up?

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was supported by "Our Revolution", Therefore she initially annoyed me.

But I see significant differences between her and independent Bernie-or-Busters.
Alexandria is a Democrat, who fights to move the party left WITHIN the Democratic Party.
She revently supported Nancy Pelosi's bid as House leader. So she is not out to harm the party.
She's from one of the most liberal areas of the country, and that reflects her thinking.

The more the right wing nuts and anyone else treats AOC in a condescending manner, the more she will remind me of Hillary and Kamala and the more she will grow on me.

9 replies, 755 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hillary supporter here, in defense of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (Original post)
Yosemito Jan 2019 OP
NurseJackie Jan 2019 #1
Yosemito Jan 2019 #2
ehrnst Jan 2019 #8
NurseJackie Jan 2019 #9
Shell_Seas Jan 2019 #3
Ohiogal Jan 2019 #5
Tom Rinaldo Jan 2019 #4
blm Jan 2019 #6
Proud Liberal Dem Jan 2019 #7

Response to Yosemito (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2019, 02:37 PM

1. ...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NurseJackie (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 8, 2019, 02:40 PM

2. Translation

You dislike AOC. Your didn't find the post boring.

Reply to this post

Response to Yosemito (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 8, 2019, 03:07 PM

8. Hackles are up on your neck as well.

Along with a chip on the shoulder.

I've seen other people post one thing while actually believing another.

Glass houses and all.

Reply to this post

Response to Yosemito (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 8, 2019, 03:14 PM

9. No I don't. Yes I did.

You dislike AOC. Your (sic) didn't find the post boring.
No I don't. Yes I did.

Besides... everyone knows that she's the greatest. Everything about her is perfect. She's so smart. She can do no wrong.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2019, 02:40 PM

3. I wan't on te AOC train at first, but the more I see of her and the more the right attacks her;

The more I like her. I think she has a big, bright future ahead of her.

Reply to this post

Response to Shell_Seas (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 8, 2019, 02:53 PM

5. I agree

She isn't into mindless name-calling or insulting, she backs up her statements with facts.

She's growing on me, too

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2019, 02:53 PM

4. She is one of our strong women

In her case AOC is an early arrival on the national political stage of someone from her generation. As a strong woman she has her own individual style, but she also carries some of the more diffuse but definite sensibilities of a new generation just stepping into leadership roles. The times once again are changing and that makes some uncomfortable in and of itself.

But strong women do not always agree with each other let alone everyone else. And part of what makes a person strong is the courage to step into the fray. You can't learn from mistakes if you are too timid to risk making any. Inaction in the face of a seriously flawed status quo can be the worst mistake of all. There is much that needs to be changed in our nation right now, and change requires courage. AOC has that. She is bright and will keep on learning. But strength and courage is not something that can be taught.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2019, 03:00 PM

6. I support what AOC is saying, and also understand Whoopi suggesting that she take the time

to learn more about the inner workings of congress in order to be most effective. I donít understand why people are characterizing what Whoopi said to make it seem like a takedown of AOC. It came off more like a loving aunt or older sister to me, and I am an expert on older sisters....I have 5 of them. Heheh

No one wants to see such a potentially great leader like AOC burn so brightly so early that there is a possibility of a flame out. IMO I think GOP intends to keep goading her relentlessly as one of their cowardly and cruel tactics. They always focus on the Demís best and brightest like a laser. Right now one of their lasers is pointed at AOC.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2019, 03:05 PM

7. Coming from the same place

She has really grown on me, despite some initial skepticism.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread