HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Mnuchin Foresees Trump Ta...

Wed May 15, 2019, 04:54 PM

Mnuchin Foresees Trump Tax Return Fight Heading to Court

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin indicated he would not comply with a subpoena to hand over President Donald Trumpís tax returns, saying that the judicial branch will likely decide the dispute between Congress and the Trump administration.

ďThereís a difference in interpretation in Congress and us and the Department of Justice,Ē Mnuchin told a Senate appropriations panel Wednesday. ďThatís why there are three branches of government, so that if thereís a difference in opinion it can go toĒ a different branch to be resolved.

Mnuchin and IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig face a Friday deadline to hand over six years of Trumpís personal and business tax documents. House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal subpoenaed the documents last week after making several requests in April using a section of the tax code that gives the chairmen of the congressional tax committees the authority to request any tax return, including those of the president.

So far, Mnuchin has repeatedly refused those requests, saying House Democrats donít have a legitimate legislative purpose for the returns and only want to target a political enemy and violate the presidentís privacy. Neal has said his purpose in asking is to oversee the IRSís routine annual audit of every president and vice president.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mnuchin-foresees-trump-tax-return-fight-heading-to-court/ar-AABpeVZ?li=BBnbcA1

Mnunchin I don't think you're going to find Donald Trump worth dying for.

4 replies, 435 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mnuchin Foresees Trump Tax Return Fight Heading to Court (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin May 2019 OP
W_HAMILTON May 2019 #1
BigmanPigman May 2019 #2
OnDoutside May 2019 #3
gratuitous May 2019 #4

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Wed May 15, 2019, 04:58 PM

1. Why is the Department of Justice involved in this anyway?

The law applies to the Treasury Department/IRS -- who the hell cares what corrupt Barr's DOJ thinks?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to W_HAMILTON (Reply #1)

Wed May 15, 2019, 05:17 PM

2. I'd like to know that as well.

Reply to this post

Wed May 15, 2019, 05:22 PM

3. I agree. I'd be going after Rettig first, as IRS Commissioner. Fine the crap out of him, and force

him to resign to save himself.

Reply to this post

Wed May 15, 2019, 06:12 PM

4. A "difference in interpretation"?

I wonder what Mnuchin's argument will be when a federal judge says the language of the statute is so plain, a bubble-headed dingbat could understand it? Probably, "Hey, what's my wife have to do with this?"

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread