HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » How long will the members...

Sat May 25, 2019, 12:43 PM

How long will the members of the RW propaganda apparatus be allowed to hide behind

the "freedom of the press"?
They are not the press. They are a PR agency, at best, and filthy traitors, at worst.
I think they're dangerous enemies of the United States, and believe they should be treated as such.

6 replies, 888 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply How long will the members of the RW propaganda apparatus be allowed to hide behind (Original post)
Progressive Jones May 2019 OP
Dennis Donovan May 2019 #1
ck4829 May 2019 #4
pandr32 May 2019 #2
empedocles May 2019 #3
ck4829 May 2019 #5
appalachiablue May 2019 #6

Response to Progressive Jones (Original post)

Sat May 25, 2019, 12:47 PM

1. You're suggesting we trash the 1st Amendment?

I think that citizens should be smarter news-consumers; able AND willing to sort thru any and all sources. But I will never advocate state censorship of the media.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Dennis Donovan (Reply #1)

Sat May 25, 2019, 02:18 PM

4. The white nationalist far right is at war with us, they seek to purge the left and the 'other'

Let's take the kid gloves off.

Here's problem #1 - "able AND willing to sort thru any and all sources"

People don't want to do that, people want news as quickly as possible as flashy as possible, they don't want differing sides, they don't want the 'other side' of the story unless it's something they don't agree with, they want their biases confirmed. In the real world, people aren't seekers of all the knowledge and information, then make the best decision. The white nationalist far right, they found this out... Appeal to biases, make the 'news' entertaining with sensationalist conspiracy theories, speak OVER everyone else, etc.

We can naively hope that the "marketplace of ideas" will correct this... eventually... maybe... as the government gets increasingly corrupt, our political culture continues to decline closer to the point of no return, and more people die in stochastic terrorism. We can sell ourselves out and return fire, start appealing to biases and make the news entertaining... and contribute to the decline of political culture. And option 3, we can surgically and selectively deplatform the white nationalist far right, instead of responding with our own news, we just take them off the air.

In my opinion, the last one is the least horrible option we have to deal with this.

Reply to this post

Sat May 25, 2019, 12:48 PM

2. Have to say I agree with your description

"They are not the press. They are a PR agency, at best, and filthy traitors, at worst."

Reply to this post

Sat May 25, 2019, 02:11 PM

3. How long will members of the rw propaganda apparatus be allowed to hide behind the

Oval Office?

Reply to this post

Sat May 25, 2019, 06:24 PM

5. K&R

Reply to this post

Sat May 25, 2019, 07:04 PM

6. Full barrel for 40 years, look at the result

IT has to change

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread