HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Australia got it right af...

Sun Aug 4, 2019, 01:32 PM

Australia got it right after the Port Arthur Massacre. If they could do it, we can too.

Snip覧覧覧覧覧覧-

The Port Arthur massacre of 2829 April 1996 was a mass shooting in which 35 people were killed and 23 wounded in Port Arthur, Tasmania. The murderer, Martin Bryant, pleaded guilty and was given 35 life sentences without possibility of parole. Fundamental changes of gun control laws within Australia followed the incident. The case is regarded to be among the most notable massacres in Australia's history.[3]

Snip覧覧覧覧覧覧

Following the spree, the Prime Minister of Australia, John Howard, led the development of strict gun control laws within Australia and formulated the National Firearms Agreement, restricting the private ownership of semi-automatic rifles, semi-automatic shotguns and pump-action shotguns as well as introducing uniform firearms licensing. It was implemented with bipartisan support by the Commonwealth, states and territories.[36] The massacre happened just six weeks after the Dunblane massacre, in Scotland, which claimed 18 lives, with U.K. Prime Minister John Major reaching out to his counterpart over the shared tragedies; the United Kingdom passed its own changes to gun laws in 1997.[37][38]

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Event history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia)

7 replies, 1052 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Australia got it right after the Port Arthur Massacre. If they could do it, we can too. (Original post)
emmaverybo Aug 2019 OP
Hoyt Aug 2019 #1
malaise Aug 2019 #2
many a good man Aug 2019 #3
dixiegrrrrl Aug 2019 #4
Coventina Aug 2019 #5
moondust Aug 2019 #6
Thyla Aug 2019 #7

Response to emmaverybo (Original post)

Sun Aug 4, 2019, 01:34 PM

1. Exactly. And Aussies seem quite satisfied with the laws.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Aug 4, 2019, 01:35 PM

2. Look how quickly New Zealand responded to their mass slaughter

earlier this year

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 4, 2019, 01:48 PM

3. But OUR government is broken

and our house is on fire

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 4, 2019, 02:25 PM

4. We need same, of course.

This is the 216th day of the year.
There have been 251 mass shootings in the USA, according to..

gunviolencearchive.org

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 4, 2019, 02:26 PM

5. Exactly. n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 4, 2019, 02:26 PM

6. "genuine need" to own

I think both Australia and New Zealand have made this part of their gun laws since their mass shootings. No doubt there are some people living out in the boondocks whose livestock may be threatened by wolves or other predators, or they live beyond the reach of timely law enforcement and feel they need to protect themselves. There may be other legitimate reasons to own firearms. "I'm scared" and "I don't feel omnipotent without my 'persuaders'" and "I don't get no respect if I ain't packing" don't qualify.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 4, 2019, 02:51 PM

7. IMHO

It's a good model to follow but I can't imagine that transition would go anywhere as near as smoothly as it did in Oz.

Too many nutters out there waiting for their last stand.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread