HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » My peronal experience wit...

Tue Mar 3, 2020, 10:13 PM

My peronal experience with H1N1 Coronavirus (DUer Personal experience 2009)

I contracted H1N1 in a bathroom line at the Blue Cross hospital in downtown Mountain View CA in 2009. I had taken my son there for an optometrist appt. Long wait - I need to pee. A small 2 stall bathroom is down the hall, there is a line of 6+ women. A woman comes in behind me, i paid no attn to her until I realized she was talking to me. She was stroking my scarf (part of it was behind me). I could feel the tugging. I turned and saw an older woman with her face in my scarf........ OK, how F'in weird is that!?!?

She was mumbling about how soft and beautiful it was. I had turned around and was just kinda in a state of shock. It WAS a pretty scarf - purple and forest green, silk/rayon mix with some threads of shiny gold interspersed. ..................anyway - when she looked up at me I saw what I assumed was an alzheimers patient with red rimmed shiny eyes. She was likely in her 70's, and it was clear that she 'was not all there'. I started chatting with her about the scarf and she made less and less sense with each sentence. . I was very grateful when a stall finally opened up and I escaped the interaction.

I did not see her on the way out and was grateful for that.

Son gets out of appt., we hit TJ.s and head home. I put away the groceries and start dinner. It has been about 4 hrs since bathroom interaction. I am kinda tired. I am a very high energy person, so that was kinda weird. Husband gets home and we have dinner 2 or so hours later. About an hour after dinner I was so tired I went upstairs and passed out in bed fully clothed. That was the BEST I would feel for over a month.

The next month is hazy, dark, disturbed, dire.

Coronavirus - I had always been a ridiculously healthy person. I had gotten bronchitis a few times, but was crazy healthy overall. I kept trying to get up and back to my life, but would fall - literally fall. My feverish brain was creating a fantasy that what was happening to me was a dream/nightmare. I was incapable of discerning fantasy from reality - likely due to a fever floating between 102-103. I needed HELP.

My ex-husband had no interest in helping or getting groceries. Stanford MBA's are too important for that. 35 years together wasn't enough. (another discussion for a new DU narcissist forum.). I drove myself to a hospital in Santa Clara that I knew had beds. You KNOW you are SICK and DESPERATE when you want to be in a hospital bed with an IV in your arm (and u have a serious fear of needles). I was given a mask when I arrived. I slept until someone woke me for a doctor. I had fantasy dreams of IV's and jello.

My temp at the hospital was 102.8. The doctor was wearing complete protection aside from eyes. After about an hour of ppl poking and prodding I was told I WAS LUCKY !!!!! I had a family at home that could take care of me !!!!!! Cuz the hospital was FULL. >if I was a 25 yr old single male I coulda gotten a bed> I was too feverish to hide my dismay..... I broke down in tears. I then did what I knew I had to do and smiled, I told them my husband was waiting for me in the parking lot - I had already heard from overheard conversations that you cannot get discharged with a certain degree of fever without a driver. I waved at a red Lexus as I walked out the door - I have no idea who the person was, I hope I did not talk to him or walk to his car, but I HAVE NO MEMORY of it. I HAVE NO MEMORY of driving home on 3 freeways. I have scattered memories of the next month.

Hazy - the hazy parts are the BEST ' cuz double lung pneumonia is the worst of the worst - I am sure some that are reading this have also had the experience - OMG... The PAIN is BRUTAL !!!! The Femur pain was the worst, but then, they are the largest bones - the smaller bones hurt just as much but were smaller....................................

I am venting 10 yr old sh*t - This was supposed to about treating it.

"How I treated it, and It worked well"

Organic chicken or vegetable broth
-sliced garlic or ginger
Simmer for 20 mins

add lemon juice

I lived on that for 3 weeks of Corona

Choke it down with rice crackers.

When u feel like u just wanna die think about pets, children, magic............

You CAN move your mind to a good place - it's actually easier while crazy feverish

Choke down as muck Emergen-c as u can without puking.

Visualize the virus as THE ENEMY and do what is completely unnatural to you and ATTACK AND KILL IT !!!!!!!!!

17 replies, 1222 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply My peronal experience with H1N1 Coronavirus (DUer Personal experience 2009) (Original post)
alittlelark Mar 2020 OP
The Velveteen Ocelot Mar 2020 #1
alittlelark Mar 2020 #3
JohnnyLib2 Mar 2020 #2
alittlelark Mar 2020 #4
pnwmom Mar 2020 #6
The Velveteen Ocelot Mar 2020 #8
MrsMatt Mar 2020 #5
alittlelark Mar 2020 #7
MrsMatt Mar 2020 #10
alittlelark Mar 2020 #13
Post removed Mar 2020 #9
alittlelark Mar 2020 #11
MrsMatt Mar 2020 #14
alittlelark Mar 2020 #12
alittlelark Mar 2020 #15
The Velveteen Ocelot Mar 2020 #16
Baitball Blogger Mar 2020 #17

Response to alittlelark (Original post)

Tue Mar 3, 2020, 10:23 PM

1. H1N1 wasn't a coronavirus. It was a completely different strain

related to the 1918 Spanish Flu virus; it was what's called an orthomyxovirus. It was a serious pandemic (called swine flu at the time) but it's not at all related to COVID-19. Your symptoms sound more like what I got many years ago, the Hong Kong flu (H3N2), also not a coronavirus, but it was very nasty with a high fever and terrible body aches. COVID-19 typically causes a severe cough sometimes leading to pneumonia with high fever, but not always the other symptoms.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to The Velveteen Ocelot (Reply #1)

Tue Mar 3, 2020, 10:30 PM

3. Those of us that have dealt with these molecular killers see them

for what they are.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 3, 2020, 10:25 PM

2. Ye gods, glad you are with us.

Saving this, just in case.....thanks

Reply to this post

Response to JohnnyLib2 (Reply #2)

Tue Mar 3, 2020, 10:32 PM

4. Glad I am - but in 2009 I wished to die

cuz double lung pneumonia is the worst of the worst.

Reply to this post

Response to alittlelark (Reply #4)

Tue Mar 3, 2020, 10:38 PM

6. Why did they think you had someone at home to take care of you? And why did you pretend

your husband was in the parking lot, since you wanted to stay at the hospital?

What a nightmare! I'm so glad you survived unscathed, more or less!

Reply to this post

Response to alittlelark (Reply #4)

Tue Mar 3, 2020, 10:43 PM

8. I felt that way when I got Hong Kong flu.

I was afraid I was going to die and also afraid that I wouldn't. Once flu shots became available I got them every year because I don't want to go through that again (and at my age it probably would do me in). Unfortunately, flu shots are no good for COVD-19, something Trump can't seem to get through his thick head.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 3, 2020, 10:36 PM

5. Think you may have been exposed prior to the bathroom incident.

It's my understanding that the time from exposure to having symptoms is 24 hours to 4 days.

Reply to this post

Response to MrsMatt (Reply #5)

Tue Mar 3, 2020, 10:39 PM

7. Not H1N1....... Look at stats.

Reply to this post

Response to alittlelark (Reply #7)

Tue Mar 3, 2020, 10:46 PM

10. Coronavirus (usually the common cold)

has an incubation period of 1-14 days. At least that is my understanding.

Reply to this post

Response to alittlelark (Reply #7)

Tue Mar 3, 2020, 10:55 PM

13. I have..... u did not give me any....

Reply to this post

Response to Post removed (Reply #9)

Tue Mar 3, 2020, 10:50 PM

11. I have seen more than 1 of u saying this...............................

F what anyone knows........................................... sertiously

Why????!>

Cuz we have a MORON pResident.

Reply to this post

Response to alittlelark (Reply #11)

Tue Mar 3, 2020, 11:02 PM

14. well, that reply makes no sense. n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 3, 2020, 10:53 PM

12. be embarassed for yourself

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 3, 2020, 11:12 PM

15. Just ignore my advice.... for the sake of the future

JUST IGNORE ADVICE.

CUZ U R 2 SMARTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 3, 2020, 11:16 PM

16. H1N1 was an orthomyxovirus, not a coronavirus.

Read all about it, here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK8611/ and here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK513241/

In 1918, a deadly influenza pandemic caused by H1N1 influenza virus, also known as the Spanish flu, infected approximately 500 million people around the world and resulted in the deaths of 50 to 100 million people (3% to 5% of the world population) worldwide, distinguishing it as one of the most deadly pandemics in human history. In 2009, a new strain H1N1 swine flu spread fast around the world among humans, and the World Health Organization (WHO) labeled it a pandemic. However, the 2009 H1N1 virus was not zoonotic swine flu because it was not transferred from pigs to humans. Instead, it spread through airborne droplets from human to human, and potentially, through human contact with inanimate objects contaminated with the virus and transferred to the eyes or nose. This virus caused similar symptoms to those seen in swine, possibly due to reassortment of the viral RNA structure, which allowed human-to-human transfer. ...

The H1N1 influenza virus is an orthomyxovirus and produces virions that are 80 to 120 nm in diameter, with an RNA genome size of approximately 13.5 kb.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 4, 2020, 12:21 AM

17. I was never sure where, exactly, I was exposed to the swine flu.

If it were up to me to decide, I got it from my hairdresser a month earlier. I know this contradicts what they say about the exposure time, but my hairdresser had just recovered from it when I saw her. The only one that I was exposed to that I was aware had it. Otherwise, I was exposed on my flight from Florida to Manchester. After that flight my nasal passages were completely blocked. Never experienced anything like that. And three days later I came down with it.

I think it was the Tamiflu that helped my recovery. I stayed in the living room, away from everyone else for about a week and recovered with few complications. Most thankfully, I didn't pass it on to anyone else.

BTW, for anyone who really, really wants to prepare for the Coronavirus, look up recipes for Panamanian sancocho. If you can make it while you're healthy, freeze it in small portions for when you or your family members get sick.

Remember to keep it simple. Don't bother with all the special seasonings that you find from other Central American or Caribbean areas. I suggest to make it healthier by limiting the ingredients. From the top of my head: Select three tubers: Like yucca, ņame and Oto or Yautia Morado. Cut smaller than golf ball sizes. Pick a roasting chicken -- if I want to make it especially healthy I get the biggest breasts of chicken and skip the dark meat. Plantains, corn and pumpkin and the secret ingredient is culantro - not cilantro. Of course, garlic and onion and dried oregano.

To see the order of cooking the meal, I suggest this video. Don't get discouraged because she makes an elaborate sancocho. Remember, you're just looking to see the order of things -- and specifically, when to remove things out of the soup while cooking, before returning to the pot.

And this is an even simpler Panamanian sancocho recipe, except ignore "cilantro" and get culantro. It is really the magic in the sancocho:

https://www.food.com/recipe/panamanian-sancocho-215671

Remember to freeze for later consumption.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread