HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Latest House and Senate r...

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 12:54 PM

Latest House and Senate ratings show Democrats increasingly competitive in Republican areas

With a little more than two weeks to go before Election Day, the national environment continues to look bright for Democrats, who are trying to flip the Senate and grow their House majority -- not to mention kick President Donald Trump out of the White House.

Former Vice President Joe Biden's lead over Trump -- he had an 11-point edge in the CNN poll of Polls as of Friday -- combined with impressive down-ballot Democratic fundraising has helped the party expand their playing field into red states and districts.

Inside Elections with Nathan L. Gonzales, a CNN contributor, has shifted the Kansas and Colorado Senate races and 20 House races in Democrats' favor. Even the district once held by White House chief of staff Mark Meadows could now be in play. Just three House races moved toward Republicans.

Inside Elections has also revised upward its projections for how many seats Democrats are likely to pick up in each chamber. In the Senate, it's now a net gain of four to six seats, which puts Democrats well on the path to the majority. They need a net gain of four seats to flip the Senate, or three if they win the White House since the vice president breaks ties in the Senate.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/18/politics/election-2020-house-and-senate-ratings-two-weeks/index.html

The blue wave is coming!

8 replies, 488 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Latest House and Senate ratings show Democrats increasingly competitive in Republican areas (Original post)
Lasher Sunday OP
kimbutgar Sunday #1
Lasher Sunday #2
Salviati Sunday #3
Lasher Sunday #4
Salviati Sunday #5
Lasher Sunday #7
crickets Sunday #6
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Sunday #8

Response to Lasher (Original post)

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 12:58 PM

1. It feels like 2006 when the Country was so disgusted by Bush ( who now looks like a statesman)

That we took back the Senate and House. 2018 started that trend. Letís finish all those repukes off in 2020. If an R is by a candidates name it shouid tell you they need to be REMOVED on Election Day!!!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to kimbutgar (Reply #1)

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 01:08 PM

2. One of Obama's first acts back then was to invite Congressional Republicans to the White House

Just Republicans, no Democrats. It was the beginning of his 'why can't we all get along' policy with the GOP. He didn't understand until almost the end of his 8 years that you can't compromise with people who have a deliberate intention not to compromise with you. I hope Biden will not be so foolish.

Reply to this post

Response to Lasher (Reply #2)

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 01:38 PM

3. Hopefully Biden will have learned that lesson already...

... having seen it firsthand with Obama.

I'm not going to get in his face however, if he publicly makes statements about "working together with his friends across the aisle" though, as long as his actions do whatever they can to undercut and marginalize their power to obstruct and sabotage. A message of unity, while taking action to erode their influence sounds about right. If he wants to leave the firebreathing rhetoric to the legislature, that's fine by me.

Reply to this post

Response to Salviati (Reply #3)

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 03:17 PM

4. I wonder.

Biden has always been a bipartisan creature of compromise. It's what he's done; it's what he is. It would be hard for him to break old habits.

Reply to this post

Response to Lasher (Reply #4)

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 03:30 PM

5. I think that his experience in the Obama administration...

... as well as the shameful behavior of the republicans backing the trump administration, have hopefully disabused him of those notions. What I hope he does is offer them a kind smile, and a reassuring tone of voice to lull them into a false sense of security, and a feeling that they've gotten away with it, as the rest of the Democratic party slits their throats, and renders them powerless in their minority status.

Basically, watch what the Dems do, and react to that, not what they say.

Reply to this post

Response to Salviati (Reply #5)

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 04:40 PM

7. I share this very fond hope

Just like when Obama took over, when the economy was crashing down all round us after the Bush reign with a GOP lapdog Congress most of that time. We should treat the GOP as the scum they are.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 03:31 PM

6. Good news. Everybody keep on voting!

These elections are underlining the need for campaign finance reform, however. Elections should be about comparing and contrasting policy platforms and past performance instead of comparing cash totals. It's ridiculous how much money is being raised and spent on elections, money that could and should be in the tax kitty to go towards governing rather than just electing and re-electing people.

Anyway, go blue. VOTE!

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 07:53 PM

8. Great!!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread