HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I never should have doubt...

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 04:07 PM

I never should have doubted Joe Biden

Iíve always liked Joe Biden. I enjoyed watching him do interviews on MSNBC, The Daily Show, and Bill Maher back in the early to mid 2000s. He always seemed like an easy going but smart and hard working guy. I really liked him as Obamaís VP. I thought he did a great job and many of the successes during the Obama years were thanks in no small part to Joe Biden. And yet, when he announced he was running for President in 2019, I was at best luke warm on the idea. I was always going to vote for him if he was the nominee but I wanted him less than pretty much anyone else running. I thought he couldnít beat Trump. I thought he was past his prime and even a bit of a goof or a fool. I became rather anti-Biden for awhile and after everything I have seen from Joe this year, I have no idea what I was thinking.

I voted for Sanders when the primaries came to my state and that was after Biden was virtually guaranteed to win the nomination. It was a protest against what I thought was a terrible choice for the Democratic nominee. I was still going to vote Biden in the general but I thought we were heading for a huge defeat against Trump regardless.

But then I saw Biden again for who he truly is again. As it became more and more obvious that he was going to be the Democratic nominee, he quickly stepped up and took charge. He showed us what a real leader looked like. And over the Spring, Summer, and Fall, he has show that he isnít just ďa generic DemocratĒ or ďgood enoughĒ, heís an amazing candidate and an amazing man. He is knowledgeable, hard working, and tough. But he is also kind, compassionate, and empathetic. And importantly, he stepped up to take on Donald Trump when he didnít have to because he is the best man for the job. He knew he was going to need to go through absolute hell to defeat Trump, withstanding fake accusations that he is pedophile and a rapist, and even attacks on his own family. Possibly even his own sonís private pictures and emails being hacked into and leaked from when he was in drug rehab, just in a vain hope by his political enemies that it might damage him.

He stepped up anyway because he has always been the best person to defeat Trump and to save our democracy. Joe Biden is a great man and will make a great President. Iím not just voting against Trump. I am excited to vote for Joe Biden!

22 replies, 3696 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply I never should have doubted Joe Biden (Original post)
Dr. Jack Oct 18 OP
cilla4progress Oct 18 #1
efhmc Oct 18 #2
Indykatie Oct 18 #3
luvtheGWN Oct 18 #15
flamingdem Oct 18 #4
Demsrule86 Oct 18 #5
wryter2000 Oct 18 #6
world wide wally Oct 18 #7
brush Oct 18 #8
demtenjeep Oct 18 #9
alittlelark Oct 18 #10
CentralMass Oct 18 #11
Turin_C3PO Oct 18 #14
pazzyanne Oct 18 #12
Augiedog Oct 18 #13
MustLoveBeagles Oct 18 #16
sop Oct 18 #17
NNadir Oct 18 #18
Beatlelvr Oct 18 #19
Lucinda Oct 18 #20
GulfCoast66 Oct 18 #21
calimary Monday #22

Response to Dr. Jack (Original post)

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 04:11 PM

1. Just 100%

Was a Bernie supporter last time, migrated to supporting and voting for HRC.

This time, pretty similar
Kamala was my no. 1 choice for a long time.

I could write the exact same post.

Biden is the perfect.one for our candidate. And because of where so many of us are and how strongly we feel, his could be a hugely consequential presidency!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 04:17 PM

2. Nicely done.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 04:17 PM

3. I Was A Biden Supporter From The Beginning For All the Reasons You Cite and More

For starters he was the only candidate that had the needed Foreign Policy chops and respect from our former allies to repair our international relationships. The other primary reason for my support was that when the race started (pre-covid) he was the only Dem candidate that could expand the Dem base and bring in Independents and some Repubs. Biden is acceptable to so many different demographics and no other Dem candidate would be.

Reply to this post

Response to Indykatie (Reply #3)

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 05:58 PM

15. With some Repub Senators

finally coming out and saying what they really think, I wonder if the fact that Biden was a colleague whom they respected while in the Senate is what is making the difference? Do you think they would be doing so if any of the other Democratic candidates had been chosen as the nominee?

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 04:18 PM

4. Thank you for saying that

Biden grows on people, I think, and will be one of our most beloved presidents.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 04:18 PM

5. Joe was always my first choice but then I saw him and worked a bit with him in Ohio during the

08 and 12 campaigns. I love Joe. But like you I would have worked my ass off for whoever won. I really wasn't crazy about Kamala...maybe that debate about busing don't know. However, I love her now. She is a remarkable person and may very well be our first woman president in time. What was I thinking? She is perfect. So I get what you are saying.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 04:26 PM

6. I wanted Kamala first

But I knew Joe Biden would do a good job. I didn't expect him to do the spectacular job he's done. Plus, he's given me Kamala, too. I feel sure she'll be the first woman president.

He'll be exactly what we need, in part because of his ability and his smarts, but also in part because of who he is.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 04:38 PM

7. I knew from the beginning that Joe was the man to take on Trump.

He was the only one that would know how the government is supposed to work from day one. All he needs is access to the office space and he is ready to go.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 05:12 PM

8. I was first for Harria but when she dropped out it became more and more apparent to me...

that Biden was the one everyone could rally around. All the other candidates had their supporters, along with higher negatives than Biden. We made the right choice.

It was glorious to see all the other Dems coalesce behind him after that one primary vitory. Was it SC or the next one?

And we all owe Rep. Clyburn for foreseeing it all in backing Joe.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 05:14 PM

9. I love Joe-always have, always will. I am grateful for Obama but I wanted Joe maybe this is right

and someone above knew we needed Joe NOW

but Joe knows what it means to be US.

He knows real pain, struggle and heart.

He is genuine

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 05:15 PM

10. I wanted Warren - now recognize we NEED Biden.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 05:38 PM

11. He is running a very good campaign and unity is critical.

However the politics of the last 40 years have left the middle class spiraling downward. The country needs help from the bottom up, not from the default top down that has become the norm. We need a sea change.

Reply to this post

Response to CentralMass (Reply #11)

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 05:56 PM

14. I think Biden will govern as a progressive.

He seems pretty open minded when it comes to policy positions. Of course, I consider the Dem platform fairly progressive already.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 05:53 PM

12. He was the right Democrat to run against tRump.

He's a middle of the road moderate who still supports/works for progressive ideas. He doesn't scare moderate voters who are Independent, and as we are finding out, Republicans. He is a kind, caring man who is the perfect Anti-trump!

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 05:55 PM

13. Protest votes are like plucking out your eye because you don't like what ya see.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 06:02 PM

16. K&R

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 06:27 PM

17. The pandemic brought out the best in Joe Biden, and revealed what a monster Donald Trump is.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 06:54 PM

18. I was never as negative on him as you, but I also thought him past his prime. I too, was wrong.

I once spent an afternoon with Freeman Dyson in his late 80's or early 90s. He was, I think, the most amazing person I ever met.

There are people for whom age doesn't matter all that much. Biden has proved to be one of those guys.

Reply to this post

Response to NNadir (Reply #18)

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 07:09 PM

19. Warren was my first pick

And I'm sure she's going to be in Joe's cabinet (Treasurey?) As are several of the awesome former pres. candidates. I feel Joe is coming to the aid of his country. He wasn't going to run, but his high approval numbers before he even entered the race prompted others to encourage him IMHO. He's running to save our democracy. How fucking honorable is that? That's something Trump can't even locate in a dictionary.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 07:22 PM

20. ❤️ ✿❧🌿❧✿ ❤️

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 07:42 PM

21. I've wanted a Biden/Harris from before Joe even announced. Why?

I think they are jointly representative of our party today.

Majority (maybe) whites who lean liberal but are willing to compromise with a huge component, soon to be a majority if not already, who donít see America thru rose colored color glass and are pushing like hell to go pedal to the medal to remake the country in what it can truly be. Does it creat tension? Of course. But thatís where change comes from.

Joe is a good man. Harris is our future.

Full disclosure: Iím a 54 year old southern white male. I welcome a nation where no race is a majority. Until we get there I donít see how we can have an enlightened nation. Racism is just too strong in too many whites.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 19, 2020, 01:04 PM

22. I was for Inslee originally, but switched to Biden right away after Inslee bailed.

Glad to see this, Dr. Jack! Thanks!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread