HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I am pretty sure that in ...

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 08:56 PM

I am pretty sure that in the 19th century and early 20th century

That America did not know the election results on Election Day....this is a phenomenon that grew in the mid 20th Century because of the news media and their election desks....hell, most of the time there is still a lot of vote outstanding when the media calls a state and that state still is counting for days...we just donít pay attention to it because the state wasnít even close.

This notion that we must know at election night is just dumb.

2 replies, 396 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply I am pretty sure that in the 19th century and early 20th century (Original post)
Proud liberal 80 Oct 28 OP
Retrograde Oct 28 #1
Klaralven Oct 28 #2

Response to Proud liberal 80 (Original post)

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 09:06 PM

1. They did have the telegraph by the time of the Civil War

so a lot of states did have good ideas of how the popular votes went. I remember reading - maybe in Team of Rivals - about Lincoln getting telegraphed return updates on election day in his 2nd election.

A lot of states will have partial results: mine takes care to list results as not complete until the SoS certifies them - about a month after the election. There are usually races that are very close and can change from day to day - I'd expect Issa's and Nunes's races to be like this.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Proud liberal 80 (Original post)

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 09:37 PM

2. Before radio broadcasts America wouldn't have known the results til the newspapers came out next day

The AP has counted the vote in U.S. elections since 1848, including national, state and local races down to the legislative level in all 50 states, along with key ballot measures. The AP collects and verifies returns in every county, parish, city and town across the U.S., and declares winners in over 5,000 contests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Press

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread