HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Denver's first Black-owne...

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 07:02 PM

Denver's first Black-owned gun club opens as more African Americans buy firearms amid pandemic

(Full title: Denver’s first Black-owned gun club opens as more African Americans buy firearms amid pandemic, racial tension )

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/10/28/denver-gun-club-armory-black-owners/

hawn McWilliams held a gun inside a dark room at a new armory in Denver’s historically Black Five Points neighborhood, explaining the importance of practice to a group of mostly new gun owners, all of them Black.

“If you just got your concealed carry permit this year, we want you here,” McWilliams said. “I want to train you.”

The 1770 Armory and Gun Club is Colorado’s first Black-owned gun club, and it opened its doors last week as Black people increasingly are arming themselves amid a pandemic and racial division within the United States.

In Aurora, a church pastor this month started a gun club for Black residents and other people of color after seeing a demand for it in his community.

(excerpt)

4 replies, 513 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Denver's first Black-owned gun club opens as more African Americans buy firearms amid pandemic (Original post)
Dial H For Hero Oct 2020 OP
Thrill Oct 2020 #1
Throck Oct 2020 #2
sir pball Oct 2020 #3
GulfCoast66 Oct 2020 #4

Response to Dial H For Hero (Original post)

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 07:16 PM

1. Republicans will start wanting gun control now

Lol

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Dial H For Hero (Original post)

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 07:21 PM

2. I wonder if the establishment gave them any problems?

https://1770armory.com/

I see the instructors are NRA trained.

Reply to this post

Response to Throck (Reply #2)

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 07:33 PM

3. The NRA isn't intrinsically Bad

They were founded as a firearms education and safety group, and that's still a big part of what they do, but as of the last 15-20 years they've gone insane. I'm not advocating for them either way (though I do think their safety training is good and should be listened to), just pointing out up till about Clinton they weren't insane violent White Wingers.

Reply to this post

Response to Throck (Reply #2)

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 07:42 PM

4. Unfortunately for lots of firearm training the NRA is the only game in town.

Way back when I was a member they were non partisan. They even supported the ARB in the early 90s. They have been the gun training organization for 100 years. Even though they are now batshit crazy passing their courses is necessary to open a range or gun club. And I’ve been to ranges where I pack up and leave due to the slap-dash safety rule enforcement. A good range master rules with an iron fist. You get one warning if you violate a rule and are then asked asked to leave if you make a second infraction. I left the NRA when their political actions became more important than gun safety work. Now we know how corrupt they are. I’d love to see their leadership in Jail.

I used to go to the Local range a good bit to practice with my deer rifle. I haven’t been for several years due the fact there is always crazy Civil War 2 shit talking going on. Would love to have the option of a less right wing crazy range to go to.

I’m an ethical hunter and that requires practice. There is a good range that is super safety conscious and relatively non political I can go to, but it is over an hour away. I go once a year before deer season to hone up my skills. And test my rifle.

I don’t own ARs or stuff like that. Just guns with the features you could find in 1950. Hunting guns.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread