HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Classic question arises a...

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 10:26 AM

Classic question arises again: "What did the President know, and when did he know it?"

Seems the media for the most part is not quite ready to openly speculate about this yet. Talk has been constrained to Trump's role in "inciting an insurrection", not any potential role he might have had in actually planning it.

I appreciate that caution is required before accusing an American President of literally conspiring in the orchestration of a coup that potentially involved planning for the assassination of key government leaders. Any charges along those lines would be the most explosive in American history. Without extremely hard evidence backing such charges, it is extremely hard to responsibly advance that case. Just the accusation itself has the potential to totally destabilize our democracy. But if that is where the evidence leads, not pursuing it would ultimately be far more "destabilizing."

So for now it seems within bounds to speculate about potential coup conspirators embedded within the Capital Police, within congressional staffs, and potentially among elected members of the U.S. House of Representatives, but it remains off limits to discuss possible premeditated sedition by senior members of Trump's Administration and/or his inner circle, up to and including the President himself. All of the recent changes in leadership at the Department of Defense, at the Justice Department, at the Department of Homeland Security etc. for now are deemed unrelated to the actual formulation of a coup. At most, for the moment, they are said to have contributed to a "lack of preparation" rather than the willful withholding of resources that could have quashed a coup attempt before it had any chance of succeeding.

"Reputable journalists", and our congressional leaders, may not be at a point yet when they can publicly ask the question, but I sure can. What did the President know, and when did he know it?

10 replies, 345 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Classic question arises again: "What did the President know, and when did he know it?" (Original post)
Tom Rinaldo Jan 14 OP
empedocles Jan 14 #1
global1 Jan 14 #2
Tom Rinaldo Jan 14 #3
global1 Jan 14 #4
Tom Rinaldo Jan 14 #5
AnyFunctioningAdult Jan 14 #6
Tom Rinaldo Jan 14 #8
malaise Jan 14 #7
Crunchy Frog Jan 14 #9
Tom Rinaldo Jan 14 #10

Response to Tom Rinaldo (Original post)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 10:32 AM

1. trump's AG provided 'a lead', he said 'trump orchestrated' the deal

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 10:39 AM

2. Other Players That Need To Be Considered With This Are.....

Flynn - Stone - Manafort - Bannon - Guliani - Miller - Kushner - Don Jr

Some Congress critters that met with Trump at the White House in the run up to Jan 6th.

Storming the Capitol wasn't spontaneous.

Reply to this post

Response to global1 (Reply #2)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 10:53 AM

3. That's a really good list for starters

There was NOTHING spontaneous at the core of the storming of Congress.

Again, I can appreciate if investigators under the soon to be Biden Administration Justice Department remain tight lipped about the leads that they will be investigating, but that investigation must be thorough and be given all of the resources needed to get t0 the bottom of it. This time no one will be tempted to refuse to cooperate in hopes of getting a presidential pardon as a reward for their stonewalling.

Reply to this post

Response to Tom Rinaldo (Reply #3)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 11:00 AM

4. Question: Those That Trump Pardoned Before Jan 6th.....

would they be immune to any charges related to their possible involvement in this insurrection?

Reply to this post

Response to global1 (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 11:03 AM

5. Certainly not immune to any illegal acts they committed AFTER receiving their pardons

Beyond that I defer to better legal minds than mine.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 11:05 AM

6. The problem is

Trump has a built in defense. He could say he did not know anything and it would be completely believable.

Reply to this post

Response to AnyFunctioningAdult (Reply #6)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 11:11 AM

8. True, he got away with that for a long time. I think that ruse is starting to collapse...

Successful thugs have feral intelligence (Trump became President, so he is a successful thug.) They know how to exercise power and make others bend to their will. With that skill mastered, there are always plenty of people surrounding them with the standard IQs high enough to work all the details out for them.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 11:10 AM

7. Get thee to the greatest page

What did the President know, and when did he know it?

And remember he told them to come to DC on January 6 and said it would be wild!

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 11:21 AM

9. I hope the Senate will take its time in building its case.

And follow the evidence wherever it leads.

I especially want to know more about the likely sabotage of Capitol security, and willful delay in sending the NG.

The worse it is for Trump, the easier it will be to exorcize him from our politics.

So I hope some really explosive things come out.

Reply to this post

Response to Crunchy Frog (Reply #9)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 11:24 AM

10. Yup, my thoughts are similar

For something on this scale, it is well worth the time needed to catch everyone red handed, beyond any reasonable shadow of doubt.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread