HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Senate should vote to...

Sat Feb 13, 2021, 12:48 PM

The Senate should vote to form a Rule XI committee to gather evidence

Alan Frumin on CNN just said the Senate might be able to form a committee to gather evidence! That is what I have been saying.

The Senate should vote to form a Rule XI committee to gather evidence for the impeachment.

In 1934 Senator Henry Ashurst of Arizona, chairman of the Judiciary Committee, offered the resolution that became Rule XI after its adoption the following year. Rule XI provided:

That in the trial of any impeachment the Presiding Officer of the Senate, if the Senate so orders, shall appoint a committee of senators to receive evidence and take testimony at such times and places as the committee may determine…

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Senate_Impeachment_Role.htm

This wasn't intended for sitting Presidents, but Trump is a former Federal official.

The committee would be blockbuster TV for our side! And the full Senate could continue as normal!

3 replies, 265 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Senate should vote to form a Rule XI committee to gather evidence (Original post)
servermsh Feb 13 OP
soothsayer Feb 13 #1
servermsh Feb 13 #2
machoneman Feb 13 #3

Response to servermsh (Original post)

Sat Feb 13, 2021, 12:55 PM

1. Gather up all that evidence for the criminal trial too

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to soothsayer (Reply #1)

Sat Feb 13, 2021, 12:57 PM

2. Oooh, I didn't think of that! Nice! :) n/t

Reply to this post

Response to servermsh (Original post)

Sat Feb 13, 2021, 12:59 PM

3. Yes! Use the committee's findings as a stalking horse for the criminal trial McTurtle wants!

Stop the presses! Great and actionable idea. Drag this out all year long I say. The longer and more detailed, the better for us. Fuck any R calls for unity, drill every one of those bastards to their seats in the Senate.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread