HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Eric Swalwell sues Trump ...

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 09:36 AM

Eric Swalwell sues Trump and allies for violating civil rights with Jan. 6 incitement

https://www.axios.com/eric-swalwell-lawsuit-trump-capitol-riot-35e3d121-058e-4a8b-bcd7-38bdbac645d7.html

27 mins ago - Politics & Policy
Eric Swalwell sues Trump and allies for violating civil rights with Jan. 6 incitement
Hans Nichols

A Democratic congressman filed a lawsuit against former President Trump, Donald Trump Jr., Rudy Giuliani and Rep. Mo Brooks (R-S.C.) on Thursday alleging that they and others are "responsible for the injury and destruction" of the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Why it matters: The federal lawsuit filed on behalf of Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.), who served as one of the House's impeachment managers, adds to the mounting legal exposure Trump has found himself facing since leaving office.

Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) was the first lawmaker to sue Trump for inciting the Jan. 6 riot, accusing the former president in a suit brought by the NAACP of violating the 1871 Ku Klux Klan Act by trying to prevent Congress from carrying out its official duties.

Trump is also under criminal investigation by the Fulton County district attorney in Georgia for his efforts to pressure officials to overturn the results of the election, in addition to the ongoing legal scrutiny he faces in New York for his business dealings.

Details: The lawsuit — filed in the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., by the law firm KaiserDillon PLLC — accuses Trump and his allies of conspiring to violate the civil rights of the defendants.

"As a direct and foreseeable consequence of the Defendants’ false and incendiary allegations of fraud and theft, and in direct response to the Defendants’ express calls for violence at the rally, a violent mob attacked the U.S. Capitol, " the complaint alleges.

Swalwell alleges that the defendants, "by force, intimidation, or threat, agreed and conspired with one another to undertake a course of action to prevent" Joe Biden from being certified as the election winner and holding office.

Trump and Brooks are being sued in their "personal capacity." The lawsuit seeks unspecified monetary damages and a requirement that the defendants provide written notice seven days in advance of a rally or public event hosted on an election day.

Between the lines: The lawsuit is being brought under the 1985 revisions to the 1871 Ku Klux Klan Act, as well as stated causes of action.

14 replies, 2131 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Eric Swalwell sues Trump and allies for violating civil rights with Jan. 6 incitement (Original post)
babylonsister Mar 5 OP
katmondoo Mar 5 #1
Blue Owl Mar 5 #2
gibraltar72 Mar 5 #3
gab13by13 Mar 5 #4
lagomorph777 Mar 5 #5
Bo Zarts Mar 5 #6
moreland01 Mar 5 #7
gab13by13 Mar 5 #10
sdfernando Mar 5 #8
BobTheSubgenius Mar 5 #9
gab13by13 Mar 5 #11
triron Mar 5 #12
CaptainTruth Mar 5 #13
samplegirl Mar 6 #14

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 09:47 AM

1. Great!!!! I am all for this.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 10:01 AM

2. K&R

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 10:37 AM

3. National sue Trump Day.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 11:23 AM

4. This is what I'm talkin about,

Dems need to get nasty and fight fire with fire. I have been so upset because the MSM has switched to right wing narratives. Democrats need to control the narrative and way to go Eric, that law suit should shift the narrative a bit more back to the left.

This will put Repugs back on the defensive, they are going to have to deny the election was rigged or walk right into Swalwell's spider web.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 11:40 AM

5. Every Dem Rep and Senator should file suit.

Let Trump et al try to fend off hundreds of lawsuits and investigations.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 11:40 AM

6. K&R

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 11:42 AM

7. The remedy?

"The lawsuit seeks unspecified monetary damages and a requirement that the defendants provide written notice seven days in advance of a rally or public event hosted on an election day."

There were rally permits for what happened on Jan 6. What wasn't planned was the movement from the rally area to the Capital building. There is no permit for storming the Capital.

I'm not sure I understand what Swalwell (and others) hope to get from these lawsuits. Perhaps to hold permit holders responsible for damages done by raging insurgents?

I guess I'd like to see all of the defendants held criminally responsible, but this isn't a criminal lawsuit.

Reply to this post

Response to moreland01 (Reply #7)

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 11:50 AM

10. There are several civil law suits that are going to hurt just as bad.

Losing money won't sit well with Trump.
The E. Jeanne Carroll civil suit requires Trump to provide his DNA sample.
Mary's Trump's civil suit would cost him money and prove that he conned his niece out of her inheritance.

Some of these civil suits are going to leave a mark.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 11:45 AM

8. Every Democratic Senator & Representative as well

as every staff member or employee working in the Capitol on 1/6 should do the same and sue that orange bastard and his circus lawyer and the others that spoke at that rally. Bury them all in legal shit for years and take every freaking dime they have.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 11:46 AM

9. Another rock on the pile!

Keep stacking them up! Sooner or later, the crush threshold will be reached and there will be nothing but a greasy orange smear left in his place.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 11:53 AM

11. Nervous people usually end up eating more.

He doesn't have Twitter to vent his rage so he will have to double up on hamberders and buckets of chicken.

I caught a video of him golfing last week and that dude is fat. He can't golf with a corset on and tailor made suits.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 12:20 PM

12. Good, just keep piling the suits.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 01:14 PM

13. Ok, but I want criminal charges. I would like to see...

...a prosecutor gather up all the statements from every insurgent who said "I did it because Trump told me to" & use those dozens (probably hundreds) of statements along with other evidence to file criminal charges.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 6, 2021, 08:57 AM

14. Good for Eric Swalwell

No backing down! Hope others follow!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread