HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Some questions to conside...

Sat Mar 13, 2021, 06:29 PM

Some questions to consider about the ...Worst President of the U.S.A.

1. Could Herbert Hoover have prevented the stock market crash and the following depression?
....Who knew about the consequences of such a crash and banks closing and not having enough
money to cover deposits. Had anyone clearly predicted the crash and what followed?

2. Could James Buchanan prevented the South from succeeding?

3. After Lincoln died, could Johnson and Grant prevented the corruption that eventually
followed the end of the civil war?

4. Could F.D.R. prevented WWII and the attack on Pearl Harbor?
Did he have clear knowledge ahead of time of the upcoming attack on Pearl Harbor?

5. Did any other countries experience the overwhelming terror of the Virus passing around
and killing people? Was knowledge available on how to stop deaths that would come with
the virus?
Who called the virus..."..a hoax"? Had other countries dealt with the virus before
the U.S.A. did? Could people have been warned about the consequences of the virus spreading through
the entire country and hundreds of thousands killed? Who was responsible for a total nation wide warning?
Did that nation wide warning ever happen?. Who gave it and when?

10 replies, 895 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Stuart G (Original post)

Sat Mar 13, 2021, 06:33 PM

1. In the end, deaths per capita will be the yardstick by which nations are compared

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Mar 13, 2021, 06:48 PM

2. Lumping Grant in with Johnson is sooooo wrong. His drinking aside, he was not at all one of our

worst Presidents. And to suggest FDR somehow did not do all possible to prevent WWII and Pearl Harbor is to not know anything about the history of that time and the forces FDR was up against. FDR almost always leads the lists of best Presidents, for good reason, including but hardly limited to his attempts to aid the Brits despite Hitler-appeasing factions in this country--so this is really wrong.

Please rethink this. To be honest, I am so upset at the suggestion that these two--among our best Presidents are lumped in a list with Buchanan, Johnson, Hoover, and by extension, Trump that I'm just going to step away. sigh...

Reply to this post

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #2)

Sat Mar 13, 2021, 07:22 PM

5. Including FDR with the others is laughable.

I hope that wasn't the OP's intention.

Grant, on the other hand, is often included in 10-worst lists, though scholars tend to place him from mid-pack to around high 30s.

"The bottom 10 often include James Buchanan, Warren G. Harding, Andrew Johnson, Franklin Pierce, Millard Fillmore, William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, Ulysses S. Grant, Zachary Taylor and George W. Bush."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_presidents_of_the_United_States

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightZone (Reply #5)

Sat Mar 13, 2021, 07:29 PM

6. The major historians have systematically reassessed Grant in recent decades. No, he is NOT

one of the worst. That was based on sheer ignorance during a time when there was the most active attempt to rewrite civil war history with the promulgation of "Lost Cause" propaganda.

If you believe otherwise, start here:
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/02/rethinking-president-ulysses-grant-stature-rising/

Reply to this post

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #6)

Sat Mar 13, 2021, 07:40 PM

8. I didn't say I believed otherwise. I provided you with context.

In recent years, he's gone from roughly bottom 10 to, as I clearly noted, mid-pack -- in the low/high 20s. I don't recall seeing any poll indicating that he was one of the best, scholarly or otherwise.

The National Review is decidedly right-wing, by the way.

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightZone (Reply #8)

Sat Mar 13, 2021, 07:43 PM

9. I know about TNR, but this was a good assessment without a paywall.

The point of the OP was to lump Grant in with the "worst Presidents," which he decidedly is NOT.

Here are three excellent recent books on Grant which make that absolutely clear:
Grant by Ron Chernow

Charles C. Calhoun’s The Presidency of Ulysses S. Grant

The Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant, edited by John F. Marszalek with David S. Nolen and Louie P. Gallo

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightZone (Reply #5)

Sat Mar 13, 2021, 09:21 PM

10. William Henry Harrison?

Dude was president for 30 days. I mean, I suppose you could assess that as a failure in and of itself. But how he gets ranked at all for a one-month administration, during the whole of it he was in the process of dying, escapes me.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 13, 2021, 07:01 PM

3. trump is making one ex-POTUS happy

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 13, 2021, 07:18 PM

4. You can't possibly be lumping FDR in with the others.

The foreknowledge of Pearl Harbor is a conspiracy theory. There is little evidence supporting it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Harbor_advance-knowledge_conspiracy_theory

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 13, 2021, 07:33 PM

7. Monday Morning QB'ing is silly

If I'd bought AMD stock for $2 a few years back... and Gamestop in February for $20...

I'd be RICH!!

George W. Bush will ALWAYS be the Worst POTUS ever. Started an illegal and immoral war based on lies and bigotry. Killed millions.

I don't judge world leaders based on COVID-19

There are too many other variables. Look at Europe, 850k++ deaths... I'm not ready to blame the leaders of most Western European countries.

Let's get real. Nations with similar economies, cultures, infrastructure and populations suffered similarly.

Nations with historically obedient and submissive cultures fared best during the pandemic.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread