HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Following up on

Sun May 30, 2021, 03:42 PM

Following up on

the recent UFO threads:

> https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/30/opinion/ufo-sightings-report.html
>
> I’m a Physicist Who Searches for Aliens. U.F.O.s Don’t Impress Me.
> May 30, 2021, 9:30 a.m. ET
> Part of an unclassified video taken by Navy pilots that has circulated for years showing interactions with “unidentified aerial phenomena.”Dept. of Defense handout/Agence France-Presse via Getty Images
> By Adam Frank
>
> Dr. Frank is a professor of astrophysics at the University of Rochester. He and his colleagues were recently awarded a NASA grant to study signs of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.
>
> This month the TV news program “60 Minutes” ran a segment on recent sightings by Navy pilots of unidentified flying objects. The pilots’ accounts were bolstered by videos recorded by cameras onboard their planes that captured what the government now calls “unidentified aerial phenomena.”
>
> In the wake of these enigmatic encounters, people are asking me what I think about U.F.O.s and aliens. They’re asking because I’m an astrophysicist who is involved in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence. My colleagues and I were recently awarded one of the first NASA grants to look for signs of advanced technology on planets outside our solar system. (I’ve argued in these pages that the 10 billion trillion habitable planets that we now believe exist in the universe make extraterrestrial civilizations far more likely.)
>
> I understand that U.F.O. sightings, which date back at least to 1947, are synonymous in the popular imagination with evidence of extraterrestrials. But scientifically speaking, there is little to warrant that connection. There are excellent reasons to search for extraterrestrial life, but there are equally excellent reasons not to conclude that we have found evidence of it with U.F.O. sightings.
>
> Let’s start with the Navy cases. Some of the pilots have told of seeing flying objects shaped like Tic Tacs or other unusual forms. The recordings from the planes’ cameras show amorphous shapes moving in surprising ways, including appearing to skim the ocean’s surface and then disappear beneath it. This might appear to be evidence of extraterrestrial technology that can defy the laws of physics as we understand them — but in reality it doesn’t amount to much.
>
> For one thing, first-person accounts, which are notoriously inaccurate to begin with, don’t provide enough information for an empirical investigation. Scientists can’t accurately gauge distances or velocity from a pilot’s testimony: “It looked close” or “It was moving really fast” is too vague. What a scientist needs are precise measurements from multiple viewpoints provided by devices that register various wavelengths (visual, infrared, radar). That kind of data might tell us if an object’s motion required engines or materials that we Earthlings don’t possess.
>
> Perhaps the videos offer that kind of data? Sadly, no. While some researchers have used the footage to make simple estimates of the accelerations and other flight characteristics of the U.F.O.s, the results have been mixed at best. Skeptics have already shown that some of the motions seen in the videos (like the ocean skimming) may be artifacts of the cameras’ optics and tracking systems.
>
> There are also common-sense objections. If we are being frequently visited by aliens, why don’t they just land on the White House lawn and announce themselves? There is a recurring narrative, perhaps best exemplified by the TV show “The X-Files,” that these creatures have some mysterious reason to remain hidden from us. But if the mission of these aliens calls for stealth, they seem surprisingly incompetent. You would think that creatures technologically capable of traversing the mind-boggling distances between the stars would also know how to turn off their high beams at night and to elude our primitive infrared cameras.
>
> Don’t get me wrong: I’ll read with great interest the U.S. intelligence report about U.F.O.s that is scheduled to be delivered to Congress in June; I believe that U.F.O. phenomena should be investigated using the best tools of science and with complete transparency.
>
> But there may be more prosaic explanations. For example, it’s possible that U.F.O.s are drones deployed by rivals like Russia and China to examine our defenses — luring our pilots into turning on their radar and other detectors, thus revealing our electronic intelligence capacities. (The United States once used a similar strategy to test the sensitivities of Soviet radar systems.) This hypothesis might sound far-fetched, but it is less extreme than positing a visit from extraterrestrials.
>
> What’s most frustrating about the U.F.O.s story is that it obscures the fact that scientists like me and my colleagues are on the threshold of gathering data that may be relevant to the existence of intelligent extraterrestrial life. But this evidence involves subtle findings about phenomena far away in the galaxy — not sensational findings just a few miles away in our own atmosphere.
>
> Powerful telescopes that will soon be operational may be capable of detecting city lights on the night side of planets that orbit distant stars or the telltale mark of reflected light from planet-wide solar-collecting arrays or the distinctive sign of industrial chemicals in a planet’s atmosphere. All of these “technosignatures,” should we find evidence of them, will be small effects. If we do detect such things, you better believe that my colleagues and I will go to extraordinary lengths to eliminate every possible source of error and every possible alternative explanation. This will take time and careful effort.
>
> The work of science, though ultimately exciting, is mostly painstakingly methodical and boring. But that is the price we pay because we don’t just want to believe. We want to know.
>
> Adam Frank (@AdamFrank4 ) is a professor of astrophysics at the University of Rochester and the author, most recently, of “Light of the Stars: Alien Worlds and the Fate of the Earth.”

_______________________________________________
skeptic mailing list
skeptic@linuxmafia.com
http://linuxmafia.com/mailman/listinfo/skeptic
To reach the listadmin, mail rick@linuxmafia.com

10 replies, 973 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Following up on (Original post)
Disaffected May 2021 OP
Irish_Dem May 2021 #1
Leith May 2021 #2
Disaffected May 2021 #6
Goonch May 2021 #3
Disaffected May 2021 #7
USALiberal May 2021 #4
frogmarch May 2021 #5
Disaffected May 2021 #8
I_UndergroundPanther May 2021 #9
Buns_of_Fire May 2021 #10

Response to Disaffected (Original post)

Sun May 30, 2021, 03:49 PM

1. Drones did not exist before WWII, when military pilots started reporting sightings of UFOs.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Disaffected (Original post)

Sun May 30, 2021, 04:33 PM

2. Thank you!

I read an essay last night written by Isaac Asimov about UFOs. He really spelled out the case for them NOT being visitors from other planets.

First, in his conservative estimate on how many technologically advanced planets there are, those of our level or higher would be, on average, over 13,000 light years away from each other. At that distance, no other civilization would have any reason to look our direction - let alone make that kind of trip to see us.

They intercepted our broadcast signals, you say? Nope. Radio and TV signals travel the speed of light. Even in the unlikely chance that an advanced species is only 100 light years from us would mean that our signals haven't reached them yet. If and when they do, they're going to get crap like Hitler speeches and Father Coughlin crazy rants.

UFO means an object, you don't know what it is, and it appears to be moving in the air. That does not mean that it is a ship from another planet.

Before the invention of flying machines, people used to see demons and goblins all over the place. That did not mean that the gates of Hell were open and everybody run for the hills! It meant that the shiny eyes in the bushes were animals or hallucinations, not imps.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Leith (Reply #2)

Sun May 30, 2021, 05:31 PM

6. Yer most welcome.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Disaffected (Original post)

Sun May 30, 2021, 04:36 PM

3. Unidentified: Inside America's UFO Investigation

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Goonch (Reply #3)

Sun May 30, 2021, 05:35 PM

7. ???

Looks as much a flying dog turd as a flying saucer.

That's the quality and credibility of the "evidence" we are dealing with here.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Disaffected (Original post)

Sun May 30, 2021, 04:42 PM

4. Thank you, I'm shocked by how many people are so gullible. Nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Disaffected (Original post)

Sun May 30, 2021, 04:43 PM

5. Like I too have been saying...

But if the mission of these aliens calls for stealth, they seem surprisingly incompetent. You would think that creatures technologically capable of traversing the mind-boggling distances between the stars would also know how to turn off their high beams at night and to elude our primitive infrared cameras.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to frogmarch (Reply #5)

Sun May 30, 2021, 05:36 PM

8. You are right.

Nothing about the whole business even remotely computes.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Disaffected (Original post)

Sun May 30, 2021, 07:21 PM

9. We don't want to just believe..

We want to know.
This.☝️

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Disaffected (Original post)

Sun May 30, 2021, 08:29 PM

10. Poor Tic Tacs are having a rough time of it these days.

First, they're identified by some fat slob as what he stuffs his face with just before he starts uncontrollably kissing everyone and grabbing their cats;

Now, they're accused of being strange objects in the sky that probably carry us off and probe every orifice while they impregnate our livestock.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread