HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Chasten Buttigieg calls P...

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 10:23 PM

Chasten Buttigieg calls Pride tweet from RNC chair 'hypocritical'

Politico

The husband of Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg took Ronna McDaniel to task over her reference to people with “deeply held religious beliefs.”

By MARIA CARRASCO

06/09/2021 10:05 PM EDT

Chasten Buttigieg responded to Ronna McDaniel in a series of media appearances on Wednesday over a tweet she made celebrating LGBT Pride Month, calling the Republican National Committee chair’s language hypocritical.

“Happy #PrideMonth! @GOP is proud to have doubled our LGBTQ support over the last 4 years, and we will continue to grow our big tent by supporting measures that promote fairness and balance protections for LGBTQ Americans and those with deeply held religious beliefs,” McDaniel posted on Twitter on June 2.

Chasten Buttigieg, husband of Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, the first openly gay Cabinet secretary, fired back the following day, responding: “Those with ‘deeply held religious beliefs’ are often the parents who force their LGBTQ children out of the home and onto the street. I’ve met with those kids. 40% of homeless youth in this country are LGBTQ. Re-visit your party’s platform before you open your mouth about #pride.”

When asked on Wednesday about his response, Buttigieg said on CNN’s “Erin Burnett OutFront” that McDaniel’s language was “dangerous.”

snip

more at link

5 replies, 890 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Chasten Buttigieg calls Pride tweet from RNC chair 'hypocritical' (Original post)
JoeOtterbein Wednesday OP
bucolic_frolic Thursday #1
GB_RN Thursday #2
gratuitous Thursday #3
MetalMama Thursday #5
Jilly_in_VA Thursday #4

Response to JoeOtterbein (Original post)

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 03:27 PM

1. Once they use fair and balance in the same sentence you know they're lying

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bucolic_frolic (Reply #1)

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 05:44 PM

2. Their Motto Should Be

"Unhinged & Unbalanced🤡🤡"

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 05:50 PM

3. When my rights have to be balanced against someone's beliefs

My rights aren't protected. Whenever someone's "deeply held religious beliefs" are given precedence in civil society, I don't have rights. If someone wants to bar me from attending their worship services, fine. But when those religious principles (or prejudice, which is more accurate) slop over into everyday non-religious life and are given priority, there is no balance, no fairness, no protection for those who don't support those prejudices.

Reply to this post

Response to gratuitous (Reply #3)

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 08:43 PM

5. Very nicely said

As the mother of a bi-racial, bisexual daughter, I worry about her rights a lot.

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 05:53 PM

4. Thanks, Chasten

You tell the bitch!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread