HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » My experience at a Florid...

Wed Jun 23, 2021, 07:24 PM

My experience at a Florida public university.

Iím a very proud graduate of the University of Florida. I went later in life after being afforded the opportunity by angels, my mother and father. The offer was made in my thirties and was generous to the point that I only had to concentrate on school.

I went to an excellent local community college. Iím going to keep this part brief. I was never familiar with any of the staff holding a left leaning ideology outside of a Spanish teacher. Of course there were more than that but only one was open about it. I was familiar with a number of them being right wingers. Interestingly enough, my accounting teacher who was all too proud to tell us she was a libertarian, was probably the best instructor Iíve ever had. She was a professor at Princeton before she and her husband retired and moved here. She still wanted to teach. We get lucky like that around here simply because of our location.

Then I was accepted into the Warrington College of Business at the University of Florida. The professors were overall conservative. One of my economics professors was an economics advisor to the W administration. But the overall tilt was pretty conservative. As were most of the students.

My Business Law and Ethics professor was a different story. He was extremely proud of his arrest record. Big time leftist with a penchant for getting arrested at protests. He said he was too old for that stuff anymore but I think if I asked him to lay in the road outside to protests the universities use of fertilizer he would have been the first one out the door. How about this for a welcome to class? ďClose your eyes if you are squeamish. We are about to watch a mink get electrocuted. Donít want to mess itís fur up with blood.Ē

But the tilt was clear and it was to the right.

The Hare Krishnaís would set up in the middle of the University and feed students for free, one day per week. On occasion the Young Republicans Club would set up right next to them with a bbq truck.

In the free speech zone bigotry was a daily theme.

What happened to Chris Leak is something Iíll never forget. He was booed regularly as he brought us a National Championship. The racial aspect was a big topic on campus. It wasnít discussed much outside of that.

Who was on the sidelines? Our good white Christian with Bible verse under his eyes. Every rich white Bull Gator was trying to force the coach to make him a starter. So were most alumni with any clout. I want to be fair to Tebow. At a very young age he was amazing. Tebow only promoted the fact that Leak was number one and thatís right where he should be. While we did use Tebow that year he was Leaks biggest fan.

Some Imams came to give a lecture one evening. Additional police had to get them in as a group dressed in Israeli military uniforms showed up.

Donít taze me bro!

I watched people from all political spectrums give talks. UF brings in some interesting people. I went to a lecture from Sandra Day OíConnor one night and Ron Jeremy a couple of weeks later.

My long ass point. UF is not some enclave of liberalism. Not even close.

Iím sure the experience is different for students at other UF Colleges. But thatís the point. They are places of diversity.

Fuck DeSantis. We have some issues at our universities and this ainít one of them.

Lastly, I hope I have given you a grammatical error or two so you can grumble ďeducated Florida ManĒ under your breath, before laughing.

10 replies, 1833 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply My experience at a Florida public university. (Original post)
RegularJam Jun 2021 OP
leftieNanner Jun 2021 #1
RainCaster Jun 2021 #2
yardwork Jun 2021 #3
Blue_true Jun 2021 #4
RegularJam Jun 2021 #5
iemanja Jun 2021 #6
RegularJam Jun 2021 #7
DemocratSinceBirth Jun 2021 #8
sop Jun 2021 #9
dianaredwing Jun 2021 #10

Response to RegularJam (Original post)

Wed Jun 23, 2021, 07:28 PM

1. For De Santis - this isn't about "diversity" at all

It's another step towards fascism. Another move towards thought control and possibly even sanction/arrest for folks with the "wrong" ideas.

I enjoyed reading your post. Thanks.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jun 23, 2021, 07:48 PM

2. If you don't start by saying "stop the steal"....

... DeSquatis thinks that your thoughts are heretical and you should be sent to Gitmo.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 23, 2021, 07:55 PM

3. Sounds about right for most large public universities.

I went to a smallish southern private university (very conservative, very preppy, Republicans dominated, I was miserable) and then a largish southern public university that is supposedly very liberal but has major issues with race and reckoning. Even at the supposedly liberal university there were lots and lots of Republicans and conservative yakking.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 23, 2021, 08:10 PM

4. I have a degree from UF.

It appears that you went in the naughts (00ís). I went during the mid seventies. What I saw was the Frats and Sororities were segregated, but students in general matched up based upon common interests.

I honestly didnít pay much attention to the political drift of my professors, pretty much all of them kept that to themselves. The Sierra Club and the professor who was itís president were very popular on campus, but we also had ROTC students who walked around in uniform.

DeSantis is using higher education as a whipping post, he is that low.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_true (Reply #4)

Wed Jun 23, 2021, 08:18 PM

5. He really is that low. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 23, 2021, 08:19 PM

6. It depends on the discipline

Most in the humanities are liberal. But your experience is with other disciplines.

Reply to this post

Response to iemanja (Reply #6)

Wed Jun 23, 2021, 08:28 PM

7. That's the thought being put forward in my third to last paragraph.

Agree.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 23, 2021, 08:34 PM

8. I went to Florida universities as well.

It depends on the discipline.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 23, 2021, 08:47 PM

9. I graduated from UF. It's not a "liberal" school. If anything it's gotten more conservative with

every passing year, as have most institutions of higher learning. DeSantis is just sucking up to his ignorant base; the kind of people who think universities are full of communists and feminazis, making their kids gay and coming for their guns. DeSantis is full of shit.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 23, 2021, 09:48 PM

10. I got my BA

much later in life (50 some) at a Southern university and then went for an MA in Washington State. My Southern advisor (very liberal) thought it was a major advancement but I found that there were lots of professors and students at both universities who were both liberal and liberal-minded (I make the distinction on purpose). I had a best friend who continued her education at Florida State at the same time as I was in Washington and both she and her partner were appalled at the prejudice they encountered there. As a note, she finished up her BA at the same time as I did in Louisiana. Therefore, I agree that universities are in general places of diversity and it depends a great deal on the focus of one's studies and the faculty teaching those classes as to whether the perception of the student is that of liberal or conservative. It is not a blanket issue. If one studies business and economics one is much more likely to run into conservative instructors than if one (like me) studies liberal arts with a focus on indigenous studies.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread