HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » If you are a casual obser...

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 03:22 PM

If you are a casual observer of politics who just watched Minority Leader McCarthy's presser

and just dropped in to see what we Democrats made of it, the following is just my opinion. I do not speak for DU or the Democratic Party, but I support both.

I see no need to even attempt to tell you what to think about what you just saw and heard. I am a Democrat and we don't presume that we are any more perceptive or intelligent or "sophisticated" than anyone else. Contrary to how some would have you evaluate recent events in our nation, we urge you to believe your own eyes---and ears.

The party Mr. McCarthy represented at that press conference this afternoon has repeatedly insisted that what we saw and heard on January 6th was simply a group of non-violent tourists who were invited into the Capitol.
Is that what you saw and heard?

When they reconvened in the wee hours of the morning after the crowd of people toting Trump flags and Confederate flags had broken into the Capitol with the announced intent to overturn the 2020 election, the overwhelming majority of Mr. McCarthy's party, including him, voted to do just that: overturn the free and fair election that Trump lost.
Do you think Mr. McCarthy and Mr.Jordan should decide how the January 6th event is evaluated? Do you think they would even try to seek a truth that they found politically inconvenient?

You have likely witnessed spoiled toddlers throwing temper tantrums when things did not go their way.
Did you see anyone behaving in a similar fashion this afternoon?

Mr. McCarthy's party now complains loudly that the select committee will be "highly partisan".
Does their blocking of the originally proposed equally divided bipartisan commission make their current complaint sound insincere?

Don't let me or anyone else tell you what you've seen and heard. And don't let anyone tell you what you should think about it.

America depends on us to use our common sense and to elect people who can and will do the same.
Let's do that.

29 replies, 7035 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 29 replies Author Time Post
Reply If you are a casual observer of politics who just watched Minority Leader McCarthy's presser (Original post)
Atticus Wednesday OP
Sympthsical Wednesday #1
Atticus Wednesday #5
Sympthsical Wednesday #6
mchill Wednesday #18
Cosmocat Wednesday #22
wnylib Wednesday #13
Kingofalldems Wednesday #20
KS Toronado Wednesday #23
wnylib Wednesday #25
Rabrrrrrr Wednesday #24
Sogo Thursday #27
pwb Wednesday #2
secondwind Wednesday #3
lame54 Wednesday #4
lastlib Wednesday #10
stillcool Wednesday #7
Champp Wednesday #11
SergeStorms Wednesday #8
groundloop Wednesday #16
AllaN01Bear Wednesday #9
onecaliberal Wednesday #12
Evolve Dammit Wednesday #14
Ford_Prefect Wednesday #15
NotASurfer Wednesday #17
sprinkleeninow Wednesday #19
dlk Wednesday #21
Wednesdays Thursday #26
Sogo Thursday #28
czarjak Thursday #29

Response to Atticus (Original post)

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 03:30 PM

1. McCarthy did this entirely on purpose

Put someone totally odious on the committee that the Speaker would not tolerate. Once they were inevitably removed, be able to say, "Partisan witch hunt to advance authoritarianism against the Right."

And you know who's going to buy all of that?

The Right.

This is about motivating ahead of elections. And once this committee goes forward and spends the next year picking at the Right, those fuckers will be highly motivated.

McCarthy isn't stupid. Just malevolent. Too many Republicans would rather be king of the ashes.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Sympthsical (Reply #1)

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 03:36 PM

5. Sorry. I disagree: McCarthy is BOTH stupid AND malevolent. And anyone who doesn't live in

a cave knows that's his shade of lipstick all over Trump's sitter-downer.

Reply to this post

Response to Atticus (Reply #5)

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 03:44 PM

6. We all know exactly where and how his bread is buttered

But I disagree about the stupid part. At least on this situation.

He knew exactly what he was doing.

Reply to this post

Response to Sympthsical (Reply #6)

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 05:37 PM

18. I like the bread butter metaphor considering

He made his way to Congress after winning the lottery and buying a sandwich shop.

Reply to this post

Response to Atticus (Reply #5)

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 05:55 PM

22. Yeah

he is unimaginably over his head as the leader of a party in congress.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 04:51 PM

13. There is still more to come from

McCarthy if he follows through with his claim that he will form his own committee to investigate Jan 6. If he does that, it will be a totally attention getting circus.

Reply to this post

Response to wnylib (Reply #13)

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 05:39 PM

20. Where will they get subpoena power?

Reply to this post

Response to Kingofalldems (Reply #20)

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 06:00 PM

23. I don't know all the ins & outs of how politics works

but my gut feeling is Nancy would have to give McCarthy her blessing to proceed with a reQublican only
investigation into Jan 6th. And that'll never happen, they can unofficially meet in Gym Q Jordan's basement.

Reply to this post

Response to KS Toronado (Reply #23)

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 08:41 PM

25. Yeah, I'm not sure how that works, either.

But if they need Pelosi's ok on it, they won't get it. But, as you suggested, they might have their own unofficial meetings. I don't know how the subpoena power works, either, but they wouldn't need it. Their plan, according to NPR news, is to focus their investigation on Pelosi and the Capitol security on Jan 6. They can get some of their own bozos to testify, e.g Republicans in the House and Senate, and any supporters among the Capitol security, DC police, and National Guard. i wouldn't be surprised if they got TFG to offer his version of events. Also, TFG's henchmen that he put in the Pentagon prior to the insurrection.

Are there House rules about how investigations can be carried out and by whom? I think some committees can independently conduct hearings, but there would be Dems on those committees, too. They might want some documents and records to "reinterpret" to fit their version of events, so can they get them on simple request or by subpoena? Can tbey put people under oath? If they don't put witnesses under oath, can they still be prosecuted for lying to Congress?

This is a power play to defy the Speaker's authority and run their own shadow government within the government. I am 100% certain that TFG is behind this, calling the shots on how McCarthy handles this. It has TFG's fingerprints all over it - defy authority and norms, counter-investigate the person (Pelosi) who is running the official, real investigation.

Absolute proof that there is a LOT to cover up and obfuscate. They are conducting a political, non-violent coup to hijack the centers of government by breaking away from the main body of Congress to run their own show. We are in totally new territory here, at least for the US. It has happened in other countries.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 06:27 PM

24. Yep - that's exactly it. By continuing to not cooperate, he ensures that he can always say

it's just a partisan sham.

Anyone with an ounce of intelligence will know that he's lying about it, but Trumpers and hardcore righties won't give a damn - they'll buy the line with every dollar of their ability.

"The dems refused to cooperate with us at first; and then, when we demanded that we get to appoint 6 people, the dems started denying them presence on the committee. Seriously, people, we're doing everything we can to ensure that this isn't a stinking pile of political theater, but we're losing at every point because the dems won't play fair because they hate America."

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 22, 2021, 01:40 PM

27. Well said..

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 03:35 PM

2. Benghazi!

Reply to this post

3. K&R

Reply to this post

4. Definitely his plan from the start but...

Doesn't mean it's a good plan

They are going to snipe and moan and do whatever they can to undermine the process daily anyways

At least this way they are not on the inside

Reply to this post

Response to lame54 (Reply #4)

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 04:32 PM

10. Their strategy is always to pour on the gasoline, then bitch about the fire department....

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 04:13 PM

7. Maybe now instead of the GOP...

putting on a vaudeville show and making headlines, the Dems can make some all their own. I'm so glad Jamie Raskin is on the committee.
In addition to Cheney, Pelosi's other picks include Democratic Representatives Bennie Thompson, Elaine Luria, Jamie Raskin, Stephanie Murphy, Pete Aguilar, Adam Schiff and Zoe Lofgren. Thompson, the top Democrat on the House Homeland Security Committee, will chair the January 6 panel.

Reply to this post

Response to stillcool (Reply #7)

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 04:38 PM

11. Adam Schiff is as experienced, astute, and judicious as they come

I'm glad he is on the committee. He has done stellar work for America, and no doubt will again.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 04:30 PM

8. I expected nothing more...

than what McCarthy delivered. Republicans have taken a hard right toward authoritarianism, and have no business investigating their own crimes. Democrats gave them every chance to do so, however, and republicans threw a fit and told us that everything we saw January 6 was a figment of our imaginations.

Over 70% of Americans want an investigation into the events of January 6th. We're going to make sure that happens, with or without the criminals input.

Reply to this post

Response to SergeStorms (Reply #8)

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 05:00 PM

16. Don't forget who McCarthy consulted with about this..... it's right from 45*s playbook.

We knew this would happen all along, GQPers are going to do everything in their power to turn the commission into a circus.... AFTER they delay delay delay for as long as possible.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 04:31 PM

9. but , but , but her emails .

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 04:43 PM

12. You can't unsee the orange around the mouth of the minority leader.... We know exactly what that

loser is trying to do.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 04:53 PM

14. McCarthy is marching for the Orange Man, who is marching for Putin and drooling to be dicktator.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 05:00 PM

15. McCarthy runs to TLG for his orders relayed from Putin.

Anyone who imagines there is anyone else steering his deliberate train wreck of Congressional oversight hasn't been paying attention.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 05:07 PM

17. Maybe Mr McCarthy would like to share what he knows on who invited the insurrectionists

If that makes it OK in his book, there should be no problem relating it, assuming he knows for a fact and isn't just pulling things from where the sun never shines

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 05:39 PM

19. They're guilty as all get out and know it. They're skilled contortionists.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 05:40 PM

21. As usual, Republicans blame Democrats for what they're actually doing

Projection is their middle name.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 22, 2021, 11:12 AM

26. Having Repugs on the Jan. 6 committee

is like having Nazis preside over the Nuremberg trials.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 22, 2021, 01:50 PM

28. They're freaking out because

they know this could out all of their involvement in the planning and execution of the attempted coup.

They belong on the gallows they erected for Mike Pence.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 22, 2021, 02:31 PM

29. Ain't no wrong like Republican Wrong. Scientific fact!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread