HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Japan marks 76th annivers...

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 07:46 AM

Japan marks 76th anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear bombings

https://www.euronews.com/2021/08/06/japan-marks-76th-anniversary-of-hiroshima-and-nagasaki-nuclear-bombings

Japan's Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga attended a memorial commemorating the 76th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Survivors and relatives marked the blast anniversary with a minute of silence; many who survived the attacks continue to require welfare and medical care.

August 6, 1945

The United States dropped the world's first nuclear bomb used against civilians at 08:15 local time in the southwestern city of Hiroshima.

The bomb nicknamed "Little Boy" destroyed the city and immediately killed 80,000 civilians, which represented around 30% of the population at the time.

35 replies, 1095 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 35 replies Author Time Post
Reply Japan marks 76th anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear bombings (Original post)
Dial H For Hero Aug 2021 OP
Blues Heron Aug 2021 #1
Dial H For Hero Aug 2021 #17
MarineCombatEngineer Aug 2021 #18
HAB911 Aug 2021 #2
Blues Heron Aug 2021 #3
HAB911 Aug 2021 #4
MarineCombatEngineer Aug 2021 #8
MarineCombatEngineer Aug 2021 #7
HAB911 Aug 2021 #10
MarineCombatEngineer Aug 2021 #12
Johnny2X2X Aug 2021 #5
HAB911 Aug 2021 #6
Johnny2X2X Aug 2021 #11
marie999 Aug 2021 #28
11 Bravo Aug 2021 #33
MarineCombatEngineer Aug 2021 #9
Archae Aug 2021 #13
MarineCombatEngineer Aug 2021 #15
betsuni Aug 2021 #34
roamer65 Aug 2021 #14
GregariousGroundhog Aug 2021 #25
HAB911 Aug 2021 #16
hardluck Aug 2021 #19
Sympthsical Aug 2021 #20
sarisataka Aug 2021 #21
Dial H For Hero Aug 2021 #22
sarisataka Aug 2021 #23
ProfessorGAC Aug 2021 #35
LexVegas Aug 2021 #24
roamer65 Aug 2021 #26
marie999 Aug 2021 #29
MineralMan Aug 2021 #27
mitch96 Aug 2021 #30
Leith Aug 2021 #31
gratuitous Aug 2021 #32

Response to Dial H For Hero (Original post)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 07:55 AM

1. remember- when the going gets tough against an enemy

slaughter their grandparents and children en masse - that's straight from the VMI valor encylopedia.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Blues Heron (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 08:50 AM

17. "Smart" weapons were in their infancy in 1945, less than 0.00001% of munitions.

Weapons causing mass casualties were all we had at the strategic level.

Reply to this post

Response to Blues Heron (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 08:53 AM

18. Don't start nuthin,

won't be nuthin.
Words Japan should have lived by.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 07:57 AM

2. Horrible, but

it saved my fathers life, and thus mine, and 4 of his brother's lives

Reply to this post

Response to HAB911 (Reply #2)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 08:02 AM

3. easy to say but you don't know that.

Reply to this post

Response to Blues Heron (Reply #3)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 08:03 AM

4. easy to say because

I do know that

Reply to this post

Response to HAB911 (Reply #4)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 08:27 AM

8. +100. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Blues Heron (Reply #3)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 08:26 AM

7. I do know that,

my father was in the first wave slated to go ashore, and it was expected to be a 100% casualty rate for the first wave.

Reply to this post

Response to MarineCombatEngineer (Reply #7)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 08:29 AM

10. Marines and SeaBees doin' the work

Reply to this post

Response to HAB911 (Reply #10)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 08:32 AM

12. Uh Rah, and of course

Can Do.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 08:14 AM

5. I agree

I know there's some suggestion that Japan would have surrendered eventually without an invasion, but I don't think that's likely. And the Japanese were fanatics, they would fight to the death and their citizens would have died before giving an inch.

It's always going to be debated, but I don't think people have an appreciation for how depraved and fanatical the Japanese soldiers and people were at that time. The soldiers who fought in both theaters said the Germans were cream puffs compared to the Japanese. The Germans would surrender when defeated in battle, the Japanese would fight to the death to the last man.

Reply to this post

Response to Johnny2X2X (Reply #5)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 08:21 AM

6. My dad was on a PT boat base in New Guinea

a SeaBee on the front lines on the march to Japan and one of my uncles was in the Army at Hickham on Dec 7th and fought hand to hand through the Pacific until surrender. When he came home he had no mind, and that's no hyperbole.

PT boat base paper my dad brought back:

Reply to this post

Response to HAB911 (Reply #6)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 08:30 AM

11. My grandfather fought in Europe

He stormed the beaches at Normandy, he was an explosives expert and came home with little hearing. If we had had to have invaded Japan, he would have been there.

When we were kids, whenever we went and saw him he'd bring us a couple blocks away to see his war buddy, Joe, Joe had lost both legs and 1 arm in WWII, it wasn't until I got older that I realized he wanted to show Joe what they made possible as well as lift his spirits.

Reply to this post

Response to Johnny2X2X (Reply #5)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 11:28 AM

28. Absolutely not needed.

They had already contacted Russia about ending the war. They wanted to surrender unconditionally except for wanting to keep the emperor which is what Truman approved after showing Russia our nuclear arsenal.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 04:29 PM

33. Likely the same for my Dad, and thus my three siblings.

Dad was a fighter pilot on a carrier off of Okinawa, and the kamikazes were getting, in his words, "pretty damned thick".

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 08:32 AM

13. Every year around this time...

Somebody pops up here, or Facebook, or Twitter calling Truman a "terrorist" for having given the order to drop The Bombs.

The reality is far different.

At that time, nukes were being developed to be used against Hitler and his goons.

Hitler blew his own brains out, and his goons most surrendered in late April and early May of 1945.

The fanatical War party of Japan was far more willing to fight to the death.

All anyone needs to do is watch the films of Japanese Kamikaze attacks, when Okinawa was invaded.
Japan even developed a rocket-powered guided missile, it's guidance being the pilot.

The Japanese ground troops were just as bad, hurling themselves against US armored vehicles with explosives strapped to their bodies.

They even had a plan to sacrifice their biggest battleship in a suicide attack, it was located long before reaching it's target, pounded into scrap by US carrier planes and blown up.

The A-bomb was thought of as simply a bomb with a bigger bang, and the shock of not one, but two of those bombs took the wind out of the War Party's sails.

Even so, a group of junior fanatical officers tried and failed to stop the Emperor's radio broadcast, and when they failed, they killed themselves en masse.

Reply to this post

Response to Archae (Reply #13)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 08:36 AM

15. And this is exactly what invading US troops would have faced,

every man, woman and child were prepared to sacrifice their lives to kill as many Americans as they could.

Reply to this post

Response to MarineCombatEngineer (Reply #15)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 04:56 PM

34. Like in the Battle of Okinawa.

Film of people jumping off cliffs to their deaths, schoolchildren hiding in caves with their teachers with hand grenades to blow themselves up with. Gruesome.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 08:33 AM

14. The third bomb would have been dropped on 19 August 1945.

Likely target would have been Kokura. The target that was skipped on 9 August 1945 due to bad weather.

We could manufacture 3-4 bombs per month and the debate was whether to continue dropping them or save them up for the main invasion, according to a declassified document I read a few years back.

Reply to this post

Response to roamer65 (Reply #14)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 10:29 AM

25. Indeed

The main targets considered were Kyoto, Hiroshima, Kokura, Yokohama, and Niigata. The Whitehouse opposed using an atom bomb on Kyoto, and it was replaced on the list by Nagasaki.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 08:48 AM

16. THE END RESULT

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 08:58 AM

19. Did they mark the 76th anniversary of the rape of Manila?

Must have missed it.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 09:02 AM

20. There's a really good BBC documentary/dramatization about it

It used to be on Netflix, which is where I saw it. Now it seems it's only available from Amazon.

Pretty gripping version of events of what happened before, during, and after in the city.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 09:11 AM

21. Is it already that time of the year

For historical revisionism and crystal ball would've-should've-could've? How time flies.

I will be next to Como Park tomorrow so I will make my annual stop at the Japanese garden there in honor of our sister city.

It is possible to realize that all options to end the war were going to be horrible. The bombs were probably the least horrible in number of casualties but at least were horrible enough so they haven't been used since.

Reply to this post

Response to sarisataka (Reply #21)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 09:19 AM

22. One of my "favorites": Don't drop the bombs, just continue the blockade.

That way Japan is in no position to significantly attack us, and they’ll eventually give up, with few having been killed.

Other than the literal millions who would have starved to death in the next year alone, mind you.

Reply to this post

Response to Dial H For Hero (Reply #22)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 09:24 AM

23. Yes, that is one

Thousands killed is horrible but millions would have been better.

Reply to this post

Response to Dial H For Hero (Reply #22)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 05:08 PM

35. Nailed It!

Also, we are CERTAIN that a radical faction of the military plotted to prevent the emperor from making the surrender address to the people.
There's no doubt that some military leadership were willing to exterminate their own population rather than surrender.
It's silly to think that a slow, painful famine would have had the crystallizing effect that the bomb attacks did.
Compared to mass starvation, the bomb was the lesser of two evils.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 09:32 AM

24. I celebrate it. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 10:59 AM

26. Once the Soviets started island hopping in the Kurils, it was only a matter of time till surrender.

Next invasion by the Soviets was to be Hokkaido Island. Hirohito knew there would be no mercy for Japanese civilians from the Russians.

With his cities vaporizing, the Russians nearing invasion of Hokkaido and his last oil refinery gone, for Hirohito the only sane option left was to surrender to the Americans.

Truman held off on dropping the third bomb because he knew they would buckle under the pressure. The Japanese HATE the Russians.

Reply to this post

Response to roamer65 (Reply #26)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 11:31 AM

29. Agree, they were afraid of the Russians not our bombing of their cities.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 11:16 AM

27. Just over a week after I was born.

I was truly an "Atomic Bomb Baby." My mother told me when I was in my 20s that she was incredibly worried at the time about bringing a child into the world after that bomb. My father was still in Italy, flying B-17s on transport missions, moving US personnel around on their way back to the USA.

He came home three months after I was born, and started a new life.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 01:46 PM

30. Ironically the firebombing of Tokyo did more damage and killed more people.

Did not faze the japanese. Like what was said, after the atom bombs and Russia getting in the war the hand writing was on the wall..ymmv

m
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-09/tokyo-wwii-firebombing-remembered-70-years-on/6287486

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Tokyo_(10_March_1945)

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 03:09 PM

31. The Japanese of the 1940s were nothing like the Japanese of today

The closest comparison would be to imagine if North Korea had 4 times the population, invaded China, Manchuria, the Philippines, all of SE Asia mainland, and seriously threatened Australia, and had already attacked Hawaii.

North Koreans are already starving and performing mandatory slave labor. They have a fanatical cult in their emperor. They have an irrational fear of being invaded by the rest of the world. The country puts more importance in their weapons of war than the wellbeing of their own people. And they would fight an invasion with to the last man, woman, and child. THAT was Japan of the 1930s and 1940s.

In the 1980s, one could still see old women, survivors of the horrors of the war, bent over from malnutrition in a way that would make Groucho Marx complain about back trouble. I felt bad for them because their own country did that to them.

At the same time, being hibakusha (victims of an atomic bomb) has made them completely oblivious to the horrors their fathers and grandfathers committed on the rest of Asia. To this very day, the Japanese have never faced their own culpability and actions during the war.

I won't second guess Truman. He did the right thing at the right time.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 03:20 PM

32. Known in the United States as "Our shit don't stink" day

U!S!A!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread