HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Sam Haselby @samhaselby: ...

Fri Aug 27, 2021, 08:03 PM

Sam Haselby @samhaselby: The U.S. can't convince almost half of its own citizens to take a vaccine

( That's a question I would love to hear msm ask all the hawks out there )

6 replies, 676 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sam Haselby @samhaselby: The U.S. can't convince almost half of its own citizens to take a vaccine (Original post)
BeckyDem Aug 2021 OP
Hugh_Lebowski Aug 2021 #1
BeckyDem Aug 2021 #2
Hugh_Lebowski Aug 2021 #3
BeckyDem Aug 2021 #4
myccrider Aug 2021 #5
BeckyDem Aug 2021 #6

Response to BeckyDem (Original post)

Fri Aug 27, 2021, 08:13 PM

1. Not sure the value of arguing, essentially, that the government is a failure at everything (nt)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Hugh_Lebowski (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 27, 2021, 08:15 PM

2. I'm not sure I understand, the war there was not a failure?

Reply to this post

Response to BeckyDem (Reply #2)

Fri Aug 27, 2021, 08:46 PM

3. The argument presented is, at its most basic level ...

"Look, the US government fails at stuff, so why be surprised when the US government fails at more stuff?"

I'm not sure of the value of such a syllogism, coming from the side of people who, generally-speaking, believe in the value of the US government.

Reply to this post

Response to Hugh_Lebowski (Reply #3)

Fri Aug 27, 2021, 08:50 PM

4. A healthy functioing government, I don't think there is evidence we have that..is his point, imo.

There is most certainly value in trying to achieve it, thus the need for scrutiny.

Reply to this post

Response to BeckyDem (Reply #4)

Sat Aug 28, 2021, 12:50 PM

5. This doesn't read as "scrutiny"

It sounds like a blanket condemnation of the government, as in "government isnít the solution, itís the problem" as per Reagan.

The vaccine hesitancy is, in large part, being caused by decades of misinformation, FUD and right-wing propaganda that has caused mistrust of science (now spilling over into distrust of the medical profession) and decades of people preaching Reaganís mantra causing indiscriminate distrust of the government. The failure in Afghanistan is an even more complex problem that is, in part, caused by American military hubris and lack of honest assessment of that countryís dynamics. That error is the governmentís responsibility, although this president did not support those policies.

The two problems heís connecting are not caused, primarily, by the same thing (except for human idiocy in general), so his "argument" isnít sound. Tying the two things together like this is the same mistake in thinking that has, in part, caused the 20 year war over there. Heís not making some profound or clever point, heís just taking pot shots.

Reply to this post

Response to myccrider (Reply #5)

Sat Aug 28, 2021, 01:42 PM

6. It does to me but he certainly is not writing extensively at the moment.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread