HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Singapore will stop cover...

Sun Nov 14, 2021, 07:02 PM

Singapore will stop covering the medical bills of unvaccinated COVID-19 patients

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/11/09/1053889069/singapore-medical-bills-covid-19-patients-unvaccinated-by-choice

Singapore's government has been covering the medical bills of COVID-19 patients throughout the pandemic. But it says unvaccinated people will soon be on their own.

Those who are "unvaccinated by choice" will have to start paying for their own COVID-19 treatment starting Dec. 8, the Ministry of Health announced on Monday, citing the strain they are putting on the nation's health care system.

"Currently, unvaccinated persons make up a sizeable majority of those who require intensive inpatient care, and disproportionately contribute to the strain on our healthcare resources," it said in a statement.

Until now, the government has been covering the cost of COVID-19 care for all Singaporeans, permanent residents and long-term pass holders, excluding those who tested positive after returning from overseas travel.

"This was to avoid financial considerations adding to public uncertainty and concern when COVID-19 was an emergent and unfamiliar disease," it explained, adding that this system will continue to apply to "the majority who are vaccinated ... until the COVID-19 situation is more stable."

7 replies, 632 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Singapore will stop covering the medical bills of unvaccinated COVID-19 patients (Original post)
twin_ghost Nov 2021 OP
bluecollar2 Nov 2021 #1
twin_ghost Nov 2021 #2
Maru Kitteh Nov 2021 #3
twin_ghost Nov 2021 #4
nycbos Nov 2021 #5
dalton99a Nov 2021 #6
NowISeetheLight Nov 2021 #7

Response to twin_ghost (Original post)

Sun Nov 14, 2021, 07:41 PM

1. It's time for America's insurance industry

To adopt a similar position.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bluecollar2 (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 14, 2021, 08:45 PM

2. I don't know if they can becuase of the Americans with Disabilty Act and Obamacare rules.

Although that make people get vaccinated if they did do something like that.

Reply to this post

Response to twin_ghost (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 14, 2021, 08:51 PM

3. Delta is charging unvaccinated $200/mo extra for their insurance.

So it must be possible.

Reply to this post

Response to Maru Kitteh (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 14, 2021, 08:54 PM

4. I can see uping their insurance premuim. But denying coverage outright might violate the law??

I think I read that95% of Delta employees got vaccinated once they knew their insurance premiums would jump.

Reply to this post

Response to twin_ghost (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 14, 2021, 10:00 PM

5. I think you can hike insurance premiums.

Tobacco users get charged higher health insurance premiums.

Also they have higher life insurance premiums. I was a life insurance agent for a bit that job wasn't for me.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 14, 2021, 10:04 PM

6. Kick

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 14, 2021, 10:31 PM

7. How about medical bankruptcy?

You currently can not (usually) discharge student loan debt in bankruptcy. How about a law change that says if you have covid medical bills and are unvaccinated you can't discharge them in bankruptcy?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread