HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Voting Rights Isn't Just ...

Tue Jan 18, 2022, 12:09 AM

Voting Rights Isn't Just a Black Issue

But Americaís memory of Jim Crow has been distorted by a political culture that pays lip service to Dr. King while forgetting his vision of a democracy that works for all Americans. From the Montgomery bus boycott to the passage of the Voting Rights Act, Dr. King was a spokesperson for the Black-led freedom movement that was determined to end Jim Crow segregation in America. But Dr. King was also clear that Black Americans did not simply want to be integrated into a burning house. They organized with a broad and diverse coalition of Americans to challenge the basic contradictions that threatened the promise of democracy for all people. The Beloved Community that Dr. King preached and organized toward wasnít just an America where Black, white and brown could sit down in a restaurant together. It was the hope of a political system where the Black, white and brown masses could vote together for leaders who serve the common good.

Today, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce opposes both voting rights laws and living wages. They back Senators Kyrsten Sinema, Joe Manchin and their Republican colleagues in an effort to normalize the subversion of democracy and make voting rights the special interest of minority groups. But they donít separate their money, so we surely shouldnít separate and bifurcate our movement demands for a democracy that works for everyday people. Voting rights are about power to write policy that impacts our daily lives and power to control the purse strings of the U.S. budget and over $21 trillion in gross domestic product.

(Snip)

Whatever the fate of the current legislation in the Senate, we must build a broad, multiethnic coalition to fight together for democracy in America. This is why the Poor Peopleís Campaign has announced plans for a Mass Poor Peopleís and Low Wage Workers Assembly and Moral March on Washington on June 18. However much we are able to push back against the present assault on voting rights, we need people from every race, creed and culture to unite in support of the common good and mount an historic get-out-the-vote effort this fall. No one would put this much energy into suppressing our votes if a multiethnic coalition did not have the potential to change this nation. This MLK weekend, we must resolve to do what Dr. King noted our foreparents did during Reconstruction: unite and build a great society.

https://time.com/6139456/martin-luther-king-jr-voting-rights/

This is our time. The BLM movement and the restrictions on voting rights, as well as the importance of the 2022 election, all come together this year. We must rise to the occasion. If you revere MLK let his memory be a push to get you to do something to register and get people out to vote. Itís not hard itís empowering.

15 replies, 649 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to scipan (Original post)

Tue Jan 18, 2022, 12:18 AM

1. 'the U.S. Chamber of Commerce opposes both voting rights laws and living wages.

They back Senators Kyrsten Sinema, Joe Manchin and their Republican colleagues in an effort to normalize the subversion of democracy and make voting rights the special interest of minority groups.'

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to elleng (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 18, 2022, 12:25 AM

3. I remember when the Chamber of Commerce

was a respectable organization. They represented business interests but it was not at the cost of everything else.

They should be outed for what they are now.

Reply to this post

Response to scipan (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 18, 2022, 12:28 AM

4. So do I, but it seems like a LONG time ago.

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 18, 2022, 12:40 AM

8. Yeah. I think they were less overt about what they wanted?

That scares me because I read a long time ago that when they are sure of their power (the right in general), they will make their wants obvious.

And it seems to be happening...

I hope all is not lost.

Reply to this post

Response to scipan (Reply #8)

Tue Jan 18, 2022, 12:45 AM

9. I'm afraid much is lost.

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 18, 2022, 12:50 AM

11. But... we can't give up.

You know that the Powers That Be are afraid of us.

When we all work together. Even half of us.

Reply to this post

Response to scipan (Reply #11)

Tue Jan 18, 2022, 12:54 AM

12. There's lots that has to be done,

we have to learn to work, 'together' or however. I'm concerned that 'we' don't know how, leadership NOT on top of things.

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #12)

Tue Jan 18, 2022, 01:00 AM

13. I think you're on to something.

Look at all the organizations on the right and the lack on the left. Have we lost the ability to organize and if so why?

Iím a child of the 60ís. We knew how to organize.

Do we just look to elected politicians to do stuff? Donít we know that they need pressure?

I personally have no idea how to organize something. Why are we so helpless?

Reply to this post

Response to scipan (Reply #13)

Tue Jan 18, 2022, 01:12 AM

14. even SINCE the 60s, we had some good organizers,

and they're not dead, but what are they doing?

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #14)

Tue Jan 18, 2022, 01:39 AM

15. Here's where I get radical

They have been bought by corporate interests.

That still doesnít explain why we canít organize.

I think that someone should organize an entity that for example tries to register people to vote.

It must live beyond individuals running. The trouble with that is obviously they disband after the election.

I honestly donít know of one.

The split between progressives and centrists may factor in.

Reply to this post

Response to scipan (Original post)

Tue Jan 18, 2022, 12:22 AM

2. as there are way more white voters than black, changes will affect more whites

in total.

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 18, 2022, 12:31 AM

5. Agree. But blacks as usual will probably get the worst

of it.

Then again whitesí interests are tied to blacks. Such as not teaching our history in schools. The whole history.

And the uneducated, poor whites who will be entangled by blocks to voting.

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 18, 2022, 12:35 AM

6. I'm curious about what your point is. I may have missed it.

Reply to this post

Response to scipan (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 18, 2022, 12:39 AM

7. since so many people who are not black are also affected it supports your

statement that it is not just a black issue

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #7)

Tue Jan 18, 2022, 12:45 AM

10. Okay. I still say we are tied together.

And actually we always were. Racism being the original sin of our culture. The more I live, the more I see it. Itís at the heart of just about everything.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread