HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A swimmer from Mariupol

Fri Apr 15, 2022, 06:11 PM

A swimmer from Mariupol

I read this story recently, and I can't remember which site, but I thought it was interesting. I have no idea if it is true, but if so, wow.

There was a young man who wished to escape from Mariupol. What he did: He swam from the port of Mariupol in the sea until he came to a friendlier port, quite a distance. From there, he made his way through to the Ukrainian side.

I thought, in the very beginning, that Ukraine would fold very quickly. Perhaps, without military aid, they would have. But, also, the Ukrainians have proven to be unbelievably resourceful, gutsy, and determined. I am very impressed.

Who wouldn't want them to be on their side in a conflict. NATO, you need to bring Ukraine into NATO rapidly. Give them the same chance you are giving to Sweden and Finland.

3 replies, 808 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply A swimmer from Mariupol (Original post)
EndlessWire Apr 2022 OP
Quakerfriend Apr 2022 #1
secondwind Apr 2022 #2
nilram Apr 2022 #3

Response to EndlessWire (Original post)

Fri Apr 15, 2022, 06:58 PM

2. Interesting story........ I kept looking to see what happened with his mother....

Perhaps she stayed behind.........

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to secondwind (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 15, 2022, 07:29 PM

3. Near the end--

“ Yurin, meanwhile, said his mother, who worked as a cleaner in the offices of Mariupol’s Pryazovia Worker newspaper, managed to escape a few days after his epic Azov sea swim. She was now staying with her sister in Russian-occupied Berdyansk.”

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread