HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A faulty forensic test se...

Thu Jun 23, 2022, 08:38 AM

A faulty forensic test sends mothers to prison for killing their newborns. MAY BE DISTURBING TO SOME

UMÁN, Mexico — Shortly after being found at a high school on Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula, the body of a newborn arrived at the medical examiner’s office.
The autopsy team placed the boy on a scale — which indicated 5 pounds, 4 ounces — and searched for clues to how he died. Opening his chest, they removed a tiny pair of reddish lungs and set them in a container of water.

It was a key moment and a test. If the lungs floated, they presumably contained air, which would suggest the infant took a breath when he entered the world. If the lungs sank, it would point to a stillbirth.

The lungs floated. And when they were pushed underwater, bubbles appeared.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2022-06-23/newborns-were-found-dead-a-faulty-forensic-test-sent-their-mothers-to-prison

2 replies, 490 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply A faulty forensic test sends mothers to prison for killing their newborns. MAY BE DISTURBING TO SOME (Original post)
Floyd R. Turbo Jun 23 OP
ck4829 Jun 23 #1
Floyd R. Turbo Jun 23 #2

Response to Floyd R. Turbo (Original post)

Thu Jun 23, 2022, 08:52 AM

1. "Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"

Great.

And I bet we'll see this in post-Roe America too.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ck4829 (Reply #1)

Thu Jun 23, 2022, 08:54 AM

2. My first thought upon reading it!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread