Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Support DU (and get rid of ads!):
Related: Editorials & Other Articles, Issue Forums, Alliance Forums, Region Forums
Wed Oct 5, 2022, 10:12 AM Oct 2022
Parents, students complain East Baton Rouge schools field trip was more like church service.https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/education/article_97dc38c2-3a0d-11ed-a388-3f7b65892ceb.html
Brittney Byrant, a biology teacher at Woodlawn High and the mother of a senior at the school, was one of those who took to Facebook to register her concerns. Shed learned the day before that she was serving as a chaperone for the event, accompanying her child. Bryant particularly objected to the organizers decision to separate the audience by gender and have the girls listen to a series of emotional talks from three female speakers.
They talked about rape (and) forgiving the offender, suicide, prayer leadership, and many more dark controversial topics. We had females in the bathrooms crying due to the topics of discussion, Bryant wrote.
Her transgender child, who identifies as he, tried to walk out as the girl talk started and was initially barred from leaving, the mother said. Bryant said she also heard that other transgender students were bullied Tuesday.
- Baton Rouge High School students were brought on field trip to a career fair, which turned out to be church retreat
- Boys and girls were separated.
- The boys events including doing push-ups competitively to earn money in a hyper-macho atmosphere.
- The girls were proselytized about church dogma, including forgiving their rapist and purity culture.
- A transgender boy was forced to attend the girls lecture and couldnt leave. At the end, there was some ceremony where he was cleansed by having water poured over his head to convert him.
- The entire event was highly misogynist, homophobic, transphobic, and left students traumatized.
What the fuck!?
InfoView thread info, including edit history TrashPut this thread in your Trash Can (My Stuff » Trash Can) BookmarkAdd this thread to your Bookmarks (My Stuff » Bookmarks) 6 replies, 923 views
6 replies = new reply since forum marked as read Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies RecommendedHighlight replies with 5 or more recommendations
Parents, students complain East Baton Rouge schools field trip was more like church service. (Original Post) Oneironaut Oct 2022 OP
This happens regularly and has for decades among the christofascists. Thomas Hurt Oct 2022 #1
"Did you forgive your rapist today?" Who talks like that? ck4829 Oct 2022 #2
I know Mad_Machine76 Oct 2022 #3
My kiddo would pitch a fit if he got stuck in one of these church events. MontanaMama Oct 2022 #4
Fuck learning in schools,... magicarpet Oct 2022 #5
Why you reading them science books? Oneironaut Oct 2022 #6
1. This happens regularly and has for decades among the christofascists.
Wed Oct 5, 2022, 10:17 AM
Lying for Lord. Deceit, manipulation etc.
4. My kiddo would pitch a fit if he got stuck in one of these church events.
Wed Oct 5, 2022, 10:27 AM
Rightly so. He declines to stand for the pledge of allegiance on Monday mornings in school.
5. Fuck learning in schools,...
Wed Oct 5, 2022, 10:48 AM
Schools are for religious indoctrination and Bible study classes.