Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

mzmolly

(51,020 posts)
Sun Mar 3, 2024, 03:06 PM Mar 3

Nikki Haley walks back pledge to support Donald Trump if he's the GOP nominee

WASHINGTON – GOP presidential candidate Nikki Haley says she no longer feels bound by the Republican National Committee pledge to endorse former President Donald Trump if he becomes the party’s nominee.

“The RNC is now not the same RNC,” the former South Carolina governor said on NBC's "Meet the Press'' in an interview that aired on Sunday. “I'll make what decision I want to make."

Haley's stance is a shift from an earlier pledge to support the Republican nominee. The RNC required candidates to sign a loyalty pledge to get on the primary debate stage. Trump declined to sign and did not participate in any of the debates.

During the first GOP debate, Haley was among a handful of candidates who said they would vote for Trump if he were the Republican nominee, even if he were convicted of a felony.

More at: USA TODAY

19 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Nikki Haley walks back pledge to support Donald Trump if he's the GOP nominee (Original Post) mzmolly Mar 3 OP
The new republic party: Loyalty pledges to morons and louis-t Mar 3 #1
Like I said before................................. Lovie777 Mar 3 #2
"Therefore, it's not the Dems but in fact it's the GQP in disarray." LenaBaby61 Mar 3 #5
One does have to wonder why she's hanging in the race, BlueKota Mar 3 #13
Another haley flip flop. Lunabell Mar 3 #3
Hardly a "walk back." "I'll make what decision I want to make" means that she will still support trump. PSPS Mar 3 #4
Nimarata will kiss RAPIST, racist, treasonous fat boy's stinking, diaper-wearing wide butt IF .... LenaBaby61 Mar 3 #7
She's no longer claiming to be committed to support the R nominee if it's tRump. mzmolly Mar 3 #10
That's a far cry from saying she's committed to support anyone except trump. PSPS Mar 3 #11
I don't believe her mzmolly Mar 3 #12
haley's best bet for 2028 would be to go against trump samsingh Mar 3 #6
Trump won't live until 2028. Mr.Bill Mar 3 #17
he isn't looking very good at all samsingh Mar 3 #18
Neither one of them is fit to be president. Emile Mar 3 #8
The only way she can save what reputation she has left is to endorse and campaign for Biden. Freethinker65 Mar 3 #9
I don't believe her and I feel bad about that Blaukraut Mar 3 #14
Clearly realizes she will not be Trump's pick for VP. rgbecker Mar 3 #15
Yea, BUT bluestarone Mar 3 #16
She never had a chance not really attacking him when she "ran" ZonkerHarris Mar 3 #19

louis-t

(23,323 posts)
1. The new republic party: Loyalty pledges to morons and
Sun Mar 3, 2024, 03:12 PM
Mar 3

electing lying, cheating, thieving, raping, con artist criminals.

Lovie777

(12,490 posts)
2. Like I said before.................................
Sun Mar 3, 2024, 03:21 PM
Mar 3

Haley and her campaign know something.

Also a good chunk of Republicans claim they will not vote for shithole. That's why shithole's primary wins are underperforming (where corporate media rather attack Pres Biden instead of exposing the facts).

Therefore, it's not the Dems but in fact it's the GQP in disarray.

LenaBaby61

(6,981 posts)
5. "Therefore, it's not the Dems but in fact it's the GQP in disarray."
Sun Mar 3, 2024, 03:48 PM
Mar 3

True.

But given these BIASED and very slanted polls, all usually saying that President Biden's too old and that NO ONE--Even in the Dem party--will vote for him, and that the RAPIST tRump is blowing President Biden away in ALL of the swing states. Oh, and that Pres. Biden & Dems are in BIG trouble come this Fall

BlueKota

(1,892 posts)
13. One does have to wonder why she's hanging in the race,
Sun Mar 3, 2024, 06:19 PM
Mar 3

otherwise. It's not like Republicans have never eaten their own before, or can be trusted even by each other.

Curious as to what it could be, if she does know something the rest of us don't?

Lunabell

(6,152 posts)
3. Another haley flip flop.
Sun Mar 3, 2024, 03:40 PM
Mar 3

A good one, but she's a typical opportunistic power hungry politician. First, an embryo is a baby, a day later she's changed her mind. She used to be a trump cheer leader, now she's not.

Wich way is the wind going to blow tomorrow, Nikki?

PSPS

(13,657 posts)
4. Hardly a "walk back." "I'll make what decision I want to make" means that she will still support trump.
Sun Mar 3, 2024, 03:41 PM
Mar 3

She just won't put it so bluntly because she still wants to be his VP or at least part of his junta.

LenaBaby61

(6,981 posts)
7. Nimarata will kiss RAPIST, racist, treasonous fat boy's stinking, diaper-wearing wide butt IF ....
Sun Mar 3, 2024, 04:02 PM
Mar 3

He makes into November 2024.

PSPS

(13,657 posts)
11. That's a far cry from saying she's committed to support anyone except trump.
Sun Mar 3, 2024, 06:09 PM
Mar 3

She's just another lying republican. I'll believe her only if, after trump gets nominated, she endorses Biden.

samsingh

(17,619 posts)
6. haley's best bet for 2028 would be to go against trump
Sun Mar 3, 2024, 03:49 PM
Mar 3

make sure he loses and then rebuild the republican party without maga around her. This would position the republicans to shed the criminals and traitors.

Who know's what she will do - she's been borderline MAGA all along.

Freethinker65

(10,127 posts)
9. The only way she can save what reputation she has left is to endorse and campaign for Biden.
Sun Mar 3, 2024, 04:19 PM
Mar 3

And, she just might

Blaukraut

(5,695 posts)
14. I don't believe her and I feel bad about that
Sun Mar 3, 2024, 06:40 PM
Mar 3

I feel bad about having to always be on guard when it comes to anything Republicans say these days. Even the Lincoln Project crowd. I don't trust them not to turn on us at their earliest convenience.

Kick in to the DU tip jar?

This week we're running a special pop-up mini fund drive. From Monday through Friday we're going ad-free for all registered members, and we're asking you to kick in to the DU tip jar to support the site and keep us financially healthy.

As a bonus, making a contribution will allow you to leave kudos for another DU member, and at the end of the week we'll recognize the DUers who you think make this community great.

Tell me more...

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»Nikki Haley walks back pl...