Trump Directs Military to Target Foreign Drug Cartels
https://www.nytimes.com/2025/08/08/us/trump-military-drug-cartels.html
Trump Directs Military to Target Foreign Drug Cartels
The president has ordered the Pentagon to use the armed forces to carry out what in the past was considered law enforcement.
By Helene Cooper, Maggie Haberman, Charlie Savage and Eric Schmitt
Aug. 8, 2025 Updated 10:35 a.m. ET
President Trump has secretly signed a directive to the Pentagon to begin using military force against certain Latin American drug cartels that his administration has deemed terrorist organizations, according to people familiar with the matter.
The decision to bring the American military into the fight is the most aggressive step so far in the administrations escalating campaign against the cartels. It signals Mr. Trumps continued willingness to use military forces to carry out what has primarily been considered a law enforcement responsibility to curb the flow of fentanyl and other illegal drugs.
The order provides an official basis for the possibility of direct military operations at sea and on foreign soil against cartels.
U.S. military officials have started drawing up options for how the military could go after the groups, the people familiar with the conversations said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive internal deliberations.
But directing the military to crack down on the illicit trade also raises legal issues, including whether it would count as murder if U.S. forces acting outside of a congressionally authorized armed conflict were to kill civilians even criminal suspects who pose no imminent threat.
...
https://www.nytimes.com/2025/08/08/world/americas/mexico-trump-military-cartels.html
Mexicos President Says U.S. Forces Are Unwelcome in Her Country
The Mexican government thought it had turned a corner in cooperating with the Trump administration on combating the cartels, having launched an aggressive crackdown of its own.
By Maria Abi-Habib
Aug. 8, 2025 Updated 1:12 p.m. ET
President Claudia Sheinbaum of Mexico rejected the use of U.S. military forces in her country on Friday, responding to news that President Trump had directed the Pentagon to target drug cartels that the United States considers terrorist organizations.
The United States is not going to come to Mexico with the military. We cooperate, we collaborate, but there is not going to be an invasion. That is ruled out, absolutely ruled out, she said. It is not part of any agreement, far from it. When it has been brought up, we have always said no.
It remains unclear what plans the Pentagon is drawing up for possible action, and the order raises legal questions about several issues. It is also unclear what notice the Mexican government had of the directive: Although Ms. Sheinbaum said U.S. officials had told her and her team that the directive was coming," three people familiar with the matter said Mexican officials had been blindsided.
Depending on what the United States does, Mexico could pull back its cooperation on issues like security and migration if the White House acts unilaterally, those people said. They spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive internal deliberations.
...