Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

Coventina

(29,938 posts)
Tue Sep 16, 2025, 05:10 PM Sep 2025

National Park Service to remove photo of enslaved man's scars: Report

The National Park Service (NPS) is set to remove the photo of an enslaved man’s scars amid efforts to comply with the Trump administration’s March executive order outlawing exhibits that promote a “corrosive ideology.”

NPS said the piece widely referenced as “The Scourged Back” will no longer be available for viewing, sources told The Washington Post.

The move comes after President Trump ordered the Interior Department to review multiple museums including the National Portrait Gallery and National Gallery of Art, where the striking image of Peter Gordon, a formerly enslaved individual, was previously on display.

“Interpretive materials that disproportionately emphasize negative aspects of U.S. history or historical figures, without acknowledging broader context or national progress, can unintentionally distort understanding rather than enrich it,” Park Service spokesperson Rachel Pawlitz told the Post.

NPS did not immediately respond to The Hill’s request for comment.

Harper’s Weekly originally published the photo on Independence Day in 1863, in the immediate aftermath of the Battle of Gettysburg. At the time, it chronicled Gordon’s escape from a Louisiana plantation before he took up arms for the Union during the Civil War, the Portrait Gallery website explains.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/5505917-national-park-service-photo-removed-enslaved-scars/

*************************************************************************************************************

More Nazi shit.....

3 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
 

Silent Type

(12,412 posts)
2. Hope they reconsider. It's one of the iconic photos from that period and won't disappear just because of trumpsters.
Tue Sep 16, 2025, 05:17 PM
Sep 2025

ImNotGod

(1,217 posts)
3. corrosively racist trump administration's March executive order outlawing exhibits that promote a "corrosive ideology."
Tue Sep 16, 2025, 05:23 PM
Sep 2025

Kick in to the DU tip jar?

This week we're running a special pop-up mini fund drive. From Monday through Friday we're going ad-free for all registered members, and we're asking you to kick in to the DU tip jar to support the site and keep us financially healthy.

As a bonus, making a contribution will allow you to leave kudos for another DU member, and at the end of the week we'll recognize the DUers who you think make this community great.

Tell me more...

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»National Park Service to ...