Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

LetMyPeopleVote

(182,091 posts)
Sun Sep 28, 2025, 06:19 PM Sep 2025

Oregon sues Trump administration over National Guard deployment: 'It is unlawful'

Attorney General Rayfield and Governor Kotek say Oregon has no rebellion or unrest to justify President Trump's federal order deploying 200 National Guard troops.

Oregon is suing Trump

Oregon sues Trump administration over National Guard deployment: 'It is unlawful' Attorney General Rayfield and Governor Kotek say Oregon has no rebellion or unrest to justify President Trump's federal order deploying 200 National Guard troops.
www.kgw.com/mobile/artic...

Catherine (@docspkfree.bsky.social) 2025-09-28T21:48:09.835Z

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/politics/national-politics/oregon-sues-trump-administration-national-guard-deployment/283-1ae97006-d7b3-418f-9b8e-979c7deef629

OREGON, USA — Oregon Attorney General Dan Rayfield announced Sunday that the state has filed a federal lawsuit against the Trump administration alleging that President Donald Trump unlawfully ordered the deployment of 200 Oregon National Guard members for federal law enforcement duties.

The lawsuit, which was filed jointly by the State of Oregon and the City of Portland in U.S. District Court, challenges the legal basis of the federal order. It names President Trump, Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem, and their respective departments as defendants.

In a statement, Rayfield said the deployment is not based on any legitimate threat but is instead “about the President flexing political muscle under the guise of law and order.”

Oregon communities are stable, and our local officials have been clear: we have the capacity to manage public safety without federal interference,” Rayfield said. “Sending in 200 National Guard troops to guard a single building is not normal.”

According to the Oregon Department of Justice, the order was issued earlier in the day in a memo sent to Governor Tina Kotek. It authorized the guard to protect federal property for 60 days in areas “where protests are occurring or likely to occur.”
1 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Oregon sues Trump administration over National Guard deployment: 'It is unlawful' (Original Post) LetMyPeopleVote Sep 2025 OP
Mahalo and For All the People in Portland... Cha Sep 2025 #1

Cha

(320,626 posts)
1. Mahalo and For All the People in Portland...
Sun Sep 28, 2025, 06:29 PM
Sep 2025

Including my daughter and her family who have lived there for Decades. 💙💙💙

Traitor is "flexing" his GD Monster Bully Ghoul head.

Kick in to the DU tip jar?

This week we're running a special pop-up mini fund drive. From Monday through Friday we're going ad-free for all registered members, and we're asking you to kick in to the DU tip jar to support the site and keep us financially healthy.

As a bonus, making a contribution will allow you to leave kudos for another DU member, and at the end of the week we'll recognize the DUers who you think make this community great.

Tell me more...

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»Oregon sues Trump adminis...