General Discussion
Related: Editorials & Other Articles, Issue Forums, Alliance Forums, Region ForumsTrump directs demolition on part of White House for ballroom despite lacking construction approval
Follow the latest news on President Donald Trump and his administration | Oct. 20, 2025
The White House has started tearing down part of the East Wing to build the ballroom President Donald Trump wants added to the building. Demolition started Monday.
BY CURTIS YEE, MICHAEL WARREN, LUENA RODRIGUEZ-FEO VILEIRA, KIANA DOYLE, SAM BURDETTE AND NELL CLARK
Updated 9:39 PM EDT, October 20, 2025
At President Donald Trumps direction, crews on Monday started tearing down part of the White Houses East Wing to build a new ballroom Trump has championed, despite lacking approval for construction from the federal agency that oversees such projects.
Although Trump said in July the ballroom would not interfere with the mansion itself, dramatic photos of the demolition work Monday showed construction equipment tearing into the East Wing façade and windows and other building parts in tatters on the ground.
The White House has moved ahead despite not yet having sign-off from the National Capital Planning Commission, which approves construction work to government buildings in the Washington area. Its chairman, Will Scharf, who is also the White House staff secretary and one of Trumps top aides, said that the agency does not have jurisdiction over demolition work for buildings on federal property, only construction.
{snip}
no_hypocrisy
(55,379 posts)the new construction will be structurally sound? But then again, Trump will have been long gone and not responsible for expected personal injuries due to shoddy work.
DemMedic
(599 posts)Of what he is doing to the country.
Harker
(18,155 posts)Volaris
(11,794 posts)Tell me this isn't a republicans wet dream of how Government is supposed to work.
Buns_of_Fire
(19,222 posts)one of shithead's "top aides," who also just so happens to be the chairman of the planning commission).
So I guess King Taco can go ahead and tear down as much of the WH as he damned well pleases, without permission. Convenient. Might as well tear down enough to make room for the onsite McDonald's.
Joinfortmill
(21,668 posts)HarryM
(467 posts)As he stiffs the construction company, as he usually does.
Katinfl
(885 posts)What next?
tanyev
(49,682 posts)The journalists didnt give up searching for these artworks that had been promised to the American public. Three days later, the New York Times wrote, Repeated efforts over the last three days to reach Mr. Trump have been unavailing. On the fourth day, the real estate developer contacted the journalists and explained that he had ordered the destruction of the Bonwit Teller reliefs himself: Because their removal could have cost more than $500,000 in taxes, demolition delays and other expenses, and might have endangered passing pedestrians on Fifth Avenue. My biggest concern was the safety of people on the street below, said the 33-year-old developer, who contended that cranes, scaffolding and the most careful handling could not have assured the safe removal of the cracked and weathered two-ton limestone panels from high on the buildings facade. If one of those stones had slipped, he said, people could have been killed. To me, it would not have been worth that kind of risk.' In truth, Trumps biographer Harry Hurt III confirmed, Trump himself ensured that the workers were told to remove the bronze latticework over the entrance with blowtorches, separate the friezes from the walls with jackhammers and break them off with crowbars, and throw them down into the interior of the building where they shattered into a million pieces. Ashton Hawkins, vice president and secretary of the board of trustees of the Met, was among those outraged and told The New York Times in June 1980: How extraordinary. I know that there was an offer of a gift in the event that the objects could be saved. I would think that would be sufficient to guide them in their actions. We are certainly very disappointed and quite surprised. Hawkins dismissed with a single sentence Trumps argument that the sculptures had no value: Can you imagine the museum accepting them if they were not of artistic merit? The reliefs are as important as the sculptures on the Rockefeller building, elaborated the gallerist Robert Miller, who had assessed the reliefs earlier. Theyll never be made again.
Today as president Trump labels everything that doesnt conform to his political ideas fake news, but he had to admit that he had adopted a false identity to explain his point of view to the public. The alleged press spokesperson John Barron, who sometimes called himself Baron and occasionally identified himself as vice president of the Trump Organization, was none other than Trump himself. In a legal proceeding in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York in Manhattan concerning the illegal employment of Polish workers in the building of Trump Tower for $4 an hour Trump admitted that he and one of his executives have used the name John Barron in some their business dealings. Outside the courthouse, he explained confidently: Lots of people use pen names. Ernest Hemingway used one. Sometimes he used the alias John Miller for statements such as those about famous women like Madonna or Kim Bassinger who supposedly wanted to meet Trump. In March 2006, Melania and Donald Trump named their son Barron.
Two contemptuous statements Trump made later in 1980 show that the Bonwit Teller affair, which did long-term damage to his reputation in New Yorks intellectual circles, continued to trouble Trump. At an event in the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Manhattan, Trump, its owner, expressed his opinion about the table decorations made out of gold mylar and the lions head medallions over the entrance to the ballroom: Real art, not like the junk I destroyed at Bonwit Teller.
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/donald-trump-bonwit-teller-friezes-met-2132673
haele
(15,595 posts)Spoiled Toddler of the United States.
He ain't no real Daddy.
themaguffin
(5,416 posts)
Kick in to the DU tip jar?
This week we're running a special pop-up mini fund drive. From Monday through Friday we're going ad-free for all registered members, and we're asking you to kick in to the DU tip jar to support the site and keep us financially healthy.
As a bonus, making a contribution will allow you to leave kudos for another DU member, and at the end of the week we'll recognize the DUers who you think make this community great.