HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "The C.I.A.’s Part in Ben...

Sat May 25, 2013, 11:21 PM

"The C.I.A.’s Part in Benghazi"

The C.I.A.’s Part in Benghazi

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD at the NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/23/opinion/the-cias-part-in-benghazi.html?smid=re-share&_r=0

"SNIP......................

Other e-mails show that it was the F.B.I., which led the inquiry, and the C.I.A.’s general counsel and deputy director who wanted references to Ansar al-Sharia deleted to avoid compromising the investigation. Another intelligence official wrote that there was no “actionable intelligence” that foretold an attack of the kind that occurred.

Republicans faulted the State Department for objecting to the C.I.A.’s initial draft. But the department seemed concerned mostly that the C.I.A. would say more to lawmakers than what could be shared with reporters or that the C.I.A. was trying to suggest that warnings about the attack had been ignored.

To a degree, the wrangling occurred because the C.I.A. annex was a classified operation. In fact, the C.I.A. was the main American presence on the ground in Benghazi, had relationships with local groups and was supposed to have the best fix on what was going on. There are serious questions as to why the agency did not have a better handle on security and didn’t do a better job of vetting the local militia that was hired for protection.

The State Department did a full a public review of its behavior and accepted the conclusion that “systemic failures and leadership and management deficiencies at senior levels” in two bureaus created “a security posture that was inadequate for Benghazi and grossly inadequate to deal with the attack that took place.” Reforms are under way. Congress needs to look closely at the C.I.A.’s role and insist that the agency do the same.

......................SNIP"

8 replies, 1282 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply "The C.I.A.’s Part in Benghazi" (Original post)
applegrove May 2013 OP
Comrade Grumpy May 2013 #1
applegrove May 2013 #2
OnyxCollie May 2013 #3
Berlum May 2013 #4
Warren DeMontague May 2013 #5
kentuck May 2013 #6
malaise May 2013 #7
kelliekat44 May 2013 #8

Response to applegrove (Original post)

Sun May 26, 2013, 12:40 AM

1. What was the CIA up to in Benghazi?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Comrade Grumpy (Reply #1)

Sun May 26, 2013, 01:10 AM

2. I read yesterday that the CIA and Stevens

were involved in trying to buy back shoulder to air missiles that were lost during the Libyan civil war two years ago. It wasn't from a reputable source/or a source I was familiar with so I didn't post it on the DU. Don't know if that is true. But it makes alot of sense if Ambassador Stevens was there to buy weapons back from militants and they used the opportunity to ambush the Americans.

Reply to this post

Response to Comrade Grumpy (Reply #1)

Sun May 26, 2013, 01:37 AM

3. Torture would be my guess.

An increased military presence would not be be desirable if a covert torture operation was going on.

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 03:57 AM

4. "Move along. Nothing to see here." - Pet Rayus (R)

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 04:26 AM

5. Hmmmm.

This is the DU member formerly known as Warren DeMontague.

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 06:48 AM

6. Maybe this is why Repubs have put it on the back burner??

Never mind...

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 06:50 AM

7. But but but Betrayus resigned over some sex scandal

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 08:30 AM

8. But that doesn't fit the storyline that the GOP wants to push. You know it was Susan Rice and Obama

and HRC who is to blame.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread