HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Public Shaming: Sexists N...

Sun May 26, 2013, 05:20 PM

Public Shaming: Sexists Not Happy That A WOMAN Dared to Interrupt Obama

OH MY GOD. Did you hear that a WOMAN dared to stand up and interrupt President Obama’s speech to speak out on some very important issues like Guantanamo Bay and the killing of 16 year old Abdulrahman al-Awlaki? Well, that is exactly what Code Pink’s Medea Benjamin, a FEMALE, did. And would you look at that, Medea is a LADY. Just who does SHE think SHE is? Hint: She is a NOT A MAN.

Now, regardless as to whether you are an Obama supporter or not, or whether or not you think it was OK for her to interrupt the President’s speech, that’s not the issue here. What *is* the issue is the fact that some fine people, from the left and right, felt the need to demean Medea Benjamin because she is a WOMAN…

(warning: collected examples of sexist profanity if you click through )
http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/51244294414/sexists-not-happy-that-a-woman-dared-to-interrupt-obama

11 replies, 1920 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Public Shaming: Sexists Not Happy That A WOMAN Dared to Interrupt Obama (Original post)
limpyhobbler May 2013 OP
Cirque du So-What May 2013 #1
limpyhobbler May 2013 #2
Skittles May 2013 #10
nadinbrzezinski May 2013 #3
Warpy May 2013 #4
smirkymonkey May 2013 #5
n2doc May 2013 #6
liberalmuse May 2013 #7
marble falls May 2013 #8
Triana May 2013 #9
YOHABLO May 2013 #11

Response to limpyhobbler (Original post)

Sun May 26, 2013, 05:31 PM

1. Amazing, isn't it?

Some of those troglodytes have admitted that they have nothing but contempt for Barack Obama, yet they are incensed by her interruption of his speech. Misogyny trumps racism, it appears. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, seeing that African American males obtained the right to vote a full 50 years before women.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Cirque du So-What (Reply #1)

Sun May 26, 2013, 05:39 PM

2. The ignorance is staggering. Some of the other blog posts on that site are crazy too.

language warning: timely collected statements of racists, homophobes for public shaming...

People who think gays will destroy the boy scouts:
http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/51189655685/hateful-bigots-think-gay-children-will-destroy-the-boy

Racist people in England who want to kill Muslims in retaliation for the machete murderer
http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/51092450285/man-killed-in-horrible-london-machete-attack-racist

Reply to this post

Response to Cirque du So-What (Reply #1)

Sun May 26, 2013, 07:39 PM

10. and....we've never had a female president

and women are OVER HALF THE POPULATION

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 05:40 PM

3. I hate to say it

Not surprised, one bit

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 05:43 PM

4. What really chaps their arses is that

Obama said she was worth listening to.

A mere woman? Worth listening to? Horrors!

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 06:10 PM

5. +10.000

Keep speaking up Medea, somebody has to have some courage!

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 06:30 PM

6. I had the impression it was more that anyone dared question the Icon n/t

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 06:48 PM

7. Obama can handle it, and she was right.

I love Code Pink, and I love Obama. I think Obama needed to hear what she had to say. Like he said, the Presidency can be a bubble, and we really need to try and break through it any time we can.

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 07:11 PM

8. The issue isn't that a woman interupted the President, its that he was interupted period.....

If the President is such fair game then folks could stand through every one of his appearances and yell. I voted for the man twice and would give him a third term if I could even as I disagree with his policies on the wars, Guantanamo, Wall Street, the banks, drugs and more.

The Tea Party does this sort of disruption, too. Are we going to be like that, too? This President had done more than any other President to give the public a chance to message the White House with all sorts methods, including petitions.

I don't believe anyone has earned any sort pass to perform any sort of incivility. Her point may have been valid(her statements ring true with me) but her choice of venue to air them was all wrong.

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 07:26 PM

9. I guess they hate women more than a black President.

Pfft. Jeeze.

Reply to this post

Sun May 26, 2013, 07:45 PM

11. It's always Medea .. she's a professional activist .. but is she effective?

Has nothing to do with gender, IMO. It's just that Code Pink shows up at every hearing, press conference etc.. Can their protests be recognized by the public as being anything other than a nuisance? Perhaps Medea should let some of her cohorts do some shouting down the President. I rally around her cause, and think these are serious issues to which she is drawing attention. Perhaps Medea likes the attention she gets. How does this woman, who spends her entire time protesting events, make a living? She has to appeal to more than just the feminist left .. if she wants social and political change. Unfortunately, that is what I think Obama's philosophy has been. Trying to make change by appeasing the right wing, as crazy as they are. I don't know if Medea's tactics are working. We need to see more ''grass roots'' men out there challenging this administration.
This is the DU member formerly known as YOHABLO.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread