HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Welcome to the DU3 Genera...

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 02:40 PM

Welcome to the DU3 General Discussion Forum!

Last edited Mon Dec 12, 2011, 03:10 AM - Edit history (2)

Looks like you've found the General Discussion forum. Welcome!

The DU3 General Discussion forum is essentially the spiritual successor to the two General Discussion forums (GD & GDP) from our old DU software. It's purpose is basically the same as that of the old GD forums: providing a space for general discussion of politics, issues, and current events. For reference, here is the Statement of Purpose for General Discussion:

Discuss politics, issues, and current events. No posts about Israel/Palestine, religion, guns, showbiz, or sports unless there is really big news. No conspiracy theories. No whining about DU.

That statement of purpose is very similar to the purpose of the two GD forums on the old DU software. Note that the statement of purpose includes helpful links showing you where you might consider posting any of the excluded topics.

Where do we discuss this new DU3 software?

We understand that the new software seems like a big change, and people want to discuss it. We want to foster a robust discussion of DU3. But we also want to provide our members with a place where you can discuss politics, issues, and current events. So, we ask that you post your thoughts about DU3 in the Help & Meta-discussion forum, which is turning out to be a very active forum on DU3.

The Hosts of the General Discussion forum have the power to lock threads which they feel violate the Statement of Purpose for the forum. They have been testing out their new powers, and have been trying to exercise them with a light touch, so as to minimize disruption for our members. So, I hope everyone will not be too surprised if a polite DUer asks you to re-post your meta-discussion in the Meta-discussion forum, and then locks your thread. Please be aware that the Hosts on DU3 are permitted to exercise their judgment and permit some meta-discussion in this forum if they feel it is appropriate to do so.

(This fairly simple separation of topics will make DU much more pleasant for everyone. If any DUers don't want to read all the meta-discussion about DU3 on the Latest Threads page, you can customize it to filter out non-political forums and groups. Just select "Political" on the drop-down menu provided, and click "Go!" Your preference will be automatically saved by the software.)

What to do if you feel your thread was locked inappropriately.

If a Host locks your thread, all is not lost. If you feel the lock was not justified, you are empowered to contact that Host and make your case directly to them. We provide you with a direct link to send a DU Mail message directly to the Host that locked the thread. If you make your case on the merits, and express yourself politely, I think you will find that the DU3 Hosts are more than willing to engage in a good-faith discussion with you about their actions. They are responsible for their actions, and they take them seriously.

And if you want to help make decisions about how the General Discussion forum is hosted, feel free to sign up to become a Host yourself. If you sign up to do it with a positive attitude, then your voice can only help us make better decisions.

Again, welcome. And thank you for being a member of this community.

Skinner
DU Administrator

69 replies, 25295 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 69 replies Author Time Post
Reply Welcome to the DU3 General Discussion Forum! (Original post)
Skinner Dec 2011 OP
MineralMan Dec 2011 #1
RKP5637 Dec 2011 #2
A-Schwarzenegger Dec 2011 #3
SidDithers Dec 2011 #4
Texasgal Dec 2011 #5
housewolf Dec 2011 #6
Hutzpa Dec 2011 #7
Bjorn Against Dec 2011 #8
Skinner Dec 2011 #9
Bjorn Against Dec 2011 #10
Skinner Dec 2011 #11
Skinner Dec 2011 #16
NNN0LHI Dec 2011 #17
sibelian Dec 2011 #22
Love Bug Dec 2011 #30
freshwest Dec 2011 #12
Skinner Dec 2011 #13
freshwest Dec 2011 #14
KoKo Dec 2011 #43
madokie Dec 2011 #15
Rex Dec 2011 #18
Boudica the Lyoness Dec 2011 #19
Odin2005 Dec 2011 #20
Bonobo Dec 2011 #21
Quantess Dec 2011 #23
MADem Dec 2011 #25
aquart Dec 2011 #28
Quantess Dec 2011 #44
ellie Dec 2011 #24
aquart Dec 2011 #27
aquart Dec 2011 #26
Quantess Dec 2011 #29
Remember Me Dec 2011 #32
Jakes Progress Dec 2011 #36
inna Dec 2011 #37
UTUSN Dec 2011 #31
Remember Me Dec 2011 #33
UTUSN Dec 2011 #34
aquart Dec 2011 #35
MelungeonWoman Dec 2011 #38
PotatoChip Dec 2011 #39
Bolo Boffin Dec 2011 #40
enough Dec 2011 #41
Renew Deal Dec 2011 #42
KoKo Dec 2011 #45
bigtree Dec 2011 #46
Pachamama Dec 2011 #47
JNelson6563 Dec 2011 #48
mojowork_n Dec 2011 #49
Skinner Dec 2011 #50
mojowork_n Dec 2011 #51
aquart Dec 2011 #52
go west young man Dec 2011 #53
brightertomorrow Dec 2011 #55
SecurityManager Dec 2011 #54
malaise Dec 2011 #56
Skinner Dec 2011 #57
malaise Dec 2011 #58
mr_liberal Dec 2011 #59
Mimosa Dec 2011 #60
Liberty Belle Dec 2011 #61
dixiegrrrrl Dec 2011 #62
MADem Dec 2011 #63
inna Dec 2011 #65
PowerToThePeople Dec 2011 #64
WillyT Dec 2011 #66
valerief Dec 2011 #67
3auld6phart Dec 2011 #68
bdamomma Jan 2012 #69

Response to Skinner (Original post)

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 02:44 PM

1. Thanks for the clarification!

Last edited Tue Oct 28, 2014, 10:28 PM - Edit history (1)

This makes sense.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MineralMan (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 02:55 PM

2. +1000 +++ n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 02:59 PM

3. That sounds to me like a

TOTALITARIAN DICTATORSHIP, MAN! ... imho.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 03:18 PM

4. DURec'd...nt

Sid

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 05:55 PM

5. Thanks Skinner!

I like it!

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 07:09 PM

6. Nicely put, Skinner

That should help to clarity things a lot

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 07:47 PM

7. Rec.

Edit: oops.... it was pined no kick needed, but I'll leave donkey.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 10:50 PM

8. Why is there no way to appeal a decision to lock to anyone other than the host?

It does not seem right that a single person can choose to lock the thread and there is no one to appeal the decision to. I don't believe that all the hosts will be willing to listen to the merits of the arguments of the person whose thread they locked, there needs to be a way to appeal to people other than the host who made the decision in the first place.

Please drop the idea of hosts altogether, this is going to destroy the site if it goes in to place as it is set up now. If the hosts abuse their power there will be many of us who stop posting here.

Reply to this post

Response to Bjorn Against (Reply #8)

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 11:01 PM

9. I believe that this is the only way to make the Hosts truly responsible for their actions.

If we let other Hosts overturn their decisions, then Hosts will use their powers carelessly. After all, someone else can undo it if they disagree. Except nobody will undo it, because they don't want to step on the first Hosts' toes.

The Forum Hosts on DU3 have exactly one power: Locking off-topic threads. This makes it very easy to spot abuse. If a host is abusing their power, people are going to know.

Reply to this post

Response to Skinner (Reply #9)

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 11:37 PM

10. I don't see how having no real appeals process is holding them responsible

I think someone else should be able to undo a decision, putting all the power in the hands of one person is never a good idea.

Reply to this post

Response to Bjorn Against (Reply #10)

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 11:44 PM

11. But you do have an appeals process. It isn't "official" but it is real.

If a Host has actually acted in bad faith. And if they refuse to listen to reason. You go to the Help & Meta-discussion forum and take your case to the people. Tell them how you were wronged.

You might not get your thread unlocked. But that Host will think twice before they lock your thread -- or anyone's thread -- unjustly again.

Plus, the other hosts will know. And they'll make sure I know. There is no cover for bad actors on DU3. None.

Reply to this post

Response to Bjorn Against (Reply #10)

Sat Dec 10, 2011, 09:16 AM

16. I've been trying to figure out why people seem so concerned about the Hosts.

Last edited Tue Oct 28, 2014, 11:29 PM - Edit history (1)

Because it seemed utterly baffling to me. As I've said many times, Forum Hosts can do only one thing: lock a discussion threas that goes against the Statement of Purpose of a particular forum. To me, it seems self-evident that it will be apparent if a Forum Host abuses their power. If they lock a discussion thread that is on-topic for their forum, then they have acted inappropriately. Sure, there will be plenty of times when a thread is borderline, and the Host has to make the call. As long as the Host is doing the job in good faith, and trying to do the right thing, then I think it's okay if they make a different choice on a borderline case. So why does this system seem to scare so many people?

Last night, in my bed, it hit me. You are all used to how we do things on DU2, our old software. On DU2, a moderator can lock a thread for almost any reason. They can -- and do -- routinely lock perfectly appropriate discussion topics because some asshat showed up and deliberately disrupts in the replies. We have so many rules, including arbitrary rules against posting stuff that is "inflammatory," to the point where nobody has any clue what the rules are. In short: On DU2 a thread can be locked for any reason or no reason at all, and many people have no clue why it happened. That confusion could potentially provide cover for moderators who abuse their power. No wonder you are so worried -- you know how the system works on DU2.

What you don't know -- and you won't know until we move into DU3 -- is how the system will work on DU3.

DU3 is designed to eliminate all those problems. All the vague civility rules from DU3 are gone -- replaced by our juries and community standards. On DU3, the Forum Hosts can't pull some random rule out of their backside to justify locking anything. They get only ONE rule to enforce: The Statement of Purpose of their forum. That's it. If they lock for any other reason they have overstepped their authority.

So, in practice, you could throw up the most offensive, most inflammatory piece of garbage, and if it was on-topic for the forum the Host could not legitimately lock it. Now, it would likely get alerted as a community standards violation, but that goes to the randomly-selected jury -- not the Hosts.

DU3 is designed to deal with actual disruption. It is designed to keep good discussions open, so bad actors cannot get them shut down by throwing a fit.

The job of the forum hosts is so narrowly defined that abusing power would be very difficult to do without being detected.

Reply to this post

Response to Skinner (Reply #16)

Sat Dec 10, 2011, 09:34 AM

17. Of course we are all creatures of habit Skinner

Remember my first post here at DU3? I wanted to know how to make DU3 look more like DU2. Got locked.

Even though DU3 has a much better look than DU2 I still asked without giving it a real try first.

Old habits are hard to break.

Don

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 07:42 AM

22. All very sensible.

Last edited Wed Oct 29, 2014, 08:04 AM - Edit history (1)

All working very nicely for me so far. Thumbs up!

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:59 AM

30. Makes sense to me!

Last edited Wed Oct 29, 2014, 09:49 AM - Edit history (1)

And is probably a relief for the hosts, too, because it will help them avoid some of those "grey areas" of the past.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 10, 2011, 12:08 AM

12. How about alerting and asking for a jury of a lock? Just an idea.

That might alleviate this worry.

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #12)

Sat Dec 10, 2011, 01:06 AM

13. We did consider not having hosts at all for the main Forums

Last edited Tue Oct 28, 2014, 11:16 PM - Edit history (16)

and just send Statement of Purpose alerts to Juries to decide.

To be honest, we thought the juries might be a little too hard-assed. We felt that a very narrowly defined job of host, which has only one power, would not be particularly ripe for abuse.

Reply to this post

Response to Skinner (Reply #13)

Sat Dec 10, 2011, 01:18 AM

14. I was just thinking that would automate the process a bit.

Hopefully the system you described will eliminate some of the concerns. Thanks.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:27 PM

43. There is a Host who seems to run around boasting and attacking...

Not saying...but, a "Bosting Host" is not what you might have been thinking of.

Anyway...THANK YOU for doing "General Discussion Forum."

"Soap Box" was really kind of crude..(even though I can understand why you might have viewed this as what you might have thought "GD" really was. Many of us saw nuances. So, some of us are happy to have a much broader view of our "rantings and raving" acknowledged and sanctioned instead of disparaging us.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 10, 2011, 07:52 AM

15. I know this is going to be good, maybe even great for DU

Its that change thingie I'm having problems with. I guess when I'm forced to either hit the door or figure this out I'll put my cyphering hat on and figure this out.

Peace to all DU'rs

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 10, 2011, 03:08 PM

18. And there it is.

TY.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 01:32 AM

19. Well done.

Good to be here

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 01:58 AM

20. K&R!

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 04:27 AM

21. Condescending thread title. nt

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 07:43 AM

23. I'm not sure I like "Soapbox" as a name to replace General Discussion.

In fact, I know I dislike the connotation. It sounds very dismissive, like "oh there's that obsessive, half-baked, finger wagger with lousy social skills, going off on a nutty rant again". From experience, yes, some DUers post rants & diatribes regularly, akin to someone shouting from their soapbox in the town square, but to actually call the forum "Soabox" is very cynical.

I hardly ever post an OP, so it's nothing personal, at all. I just see the title as very cynical and dismissive.

Reply to this post

Response to Quantess (Reply #23)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:29 AM

25. Speaker's corner in Hyde Park!

You do have a point. I've never really heard the term outside of the "Oh, fachrissake, get off the damn soapbox, already!" type themes!

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:50 AM

28. It isn't "Soapbox." It's "Soapbox!"

I expect the hosts will be Muppets. Or perhaps charming variations of Hello, Kitty or Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Or crooning cowboys fresh from "Oklahoma!"

And now I shall try to contain myself as I "Post My Reply!"

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:31 PM

44. Good call Skinner!

I see the name is General Discussion again!

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:24 AM

24. Where are all the political discussions?

Isn't Democratic Underground supposed to be about politics with a little extra stuff thrown in? Now it is a lot of extra stuff with a little politics.

Reply to this post

Response to ellie (Reply #24)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:39 AM

27. We have Good Reads. Do we also have Good Eats? Good Vacation Getaways? Good Fucks?

Last edited Wed Oct 29, 2014, 07:59 AM - Edit history (1)

Is the assumption that the intelligentsia won't have the club dues so the appeal is being broadened to tempt Paris Hilton?

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:33 AM

26. So nobody thinks "soapbox!" is a snide put down of GD?

And the cheery exclamation point doesn't make anyone feel grossly uncomfortable?

Except, of course, me?

Reply to this post

Response to aquart (Reply #26)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 10:45 AM

29. Yes.

It trivializes the content. It's like saying, oh sorry I wasn't listening. Now what was your little comment about the troops in Afghanistan, honey?
GD has the weightiest discussion one can imagine, not like we're quibbling about whether to chop onions lengthwise.

Reply to this post

Response to Quantess (Reply #29)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:47 PM

32. IMO, it also makes it sound like the discussions are all about personal (subjective) opinions

"Let me get on my soapbox about this subject." But that's not the case. There's plenty of hard news gets posted there. I think it's an unfortunate choice.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:29 PM

36. Agreed.

All that's needed is a finger wagging icon. Maybe a tsk, tsk.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 06:43 PM

37. i agree nt

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:31 PM

31. (Oh, & K&R #37) The crux: "Statement of Purpose" (for the forum)

Estimable member NNNOLHI in post #17 put his finger on the root of the concerns: "Remember my first post here at DU3? I wanted to know how to make DU3 look more like DU2. Got locked."

The concerns were about not knowing why the threads were locked, "I wanted to know how to make DU3...", meaning that this was what was called in DU2 "wrong forum" and now a violation of Statement of Purpose for the forum.

In the preview, after the first flurry of random posts, there followed the mass lockings because most of them were in the WRONG FORUM/violation-SoP, which I thought was a great on-the-job lesson!1

Iow, in this current thread, in real DU3 life, THIS thread would be locked for being Meta-Discussion.

In GD, there was a blurring of the forum's identity: It was supposed to be politics-current/events-issues ---NOT just anything, like the Lounge --- but, sometimes depending on changing Moderator crews or just wearing down over time, there was a "non-rigid" mood, and all kinds of topics seeped through and then became rooted:

* News-of-the-weird, Oddities-oh-my

* Cute lovable animals (Lounge)

* Local news

* True crime

* Personal misfortunes or happy events

* Fascinating anthropology/archeaology, photography

* Celebrity events

* Vanity threads

It was encouraging to see all of the weeding out of the extraneous (to SOAPBOX) threads. I have generally resisted previous changes to DU, but DU3 is looking the best from the outset.

Reply to this post

Response to UTUSN (Reply #31)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:51 PM

33. See, I think that's NOT a good thing

There were so many things I was exposed to and benefited from because of what you consider "seepage," things I'd NEVER have encountered otherwise because I wouldn't have gone surfing in those other forums -- there's a time issue involved. It'd be great to be able to spend 24/7 here at DU, but it's NOT possible for most of us.

Reply to this post

Response to Remember Me (Reply #33)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 01:09 PM

34. Well, fortunately, I don't call the shots!1

(Gawsh, had to dig the whole emoticon list to post the one!1)

http://www.democraticunderground.com/du3/emoticons/index.html

Reply to this post

Response to Remember Me (Reply #33)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:29 PM

35. Agreed.

All we're going to have now is little clubhouses. Or rather, "Clubhouses!"

Reply to this post

Response to aquart (Reply #35)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 06:45 PM

38. Cannot subscribe

I was thinking this might work out, I'll put all of my favorite forums into subscriptions and read from there.

I find, however, that I cannot subscribe to this forum. This may take some getting used to.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 07:12 PM

39. Thanks Skinner!

This is my first post, so I'm a bit nervous at the moment. Not sure why really. <--- (testing smilies- I assume they are the same)

There is a lot to take in, but I think I'm going to like it here once I get used to it. Got a lot of reading and catching up to do... I haven't even set my profile up yet! lol

-Cool, I see on preview that the smilies are showing up-

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 09:12 PM

40. I have to admit: seeing General Discussion up there just feels like DU to me. n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 09:30 PM

41. The sensitivity and finesse you are having to employ to deal with a seemingly necessary change

is amazing. A testament to your skill, and even more to the fact that this board is in some way an actual living community. Seeing all the consternation and complaints, I keep wanting to say: "jeeze if you don't like it, start your own fucking website." But you keep on going and patiently explaining and changing. It reminds me of the decades I spent in small-time local politics, except that in this case the geographical reach is large, the numbers are big, and you don't know the faces and histories of each participant. The fact that people care so much is the ultimate evidence of the success of what you all have done over the years, and will keep doing, if we're lucky.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:17 PM

42. We're home again.

Thanks Skinner!

Reply to this post

Response to Renew Deal (Reply #42)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:34 PM

45. Yes...that Home Again is encouraging after the first "Splat against the Wall!" Good News! eom

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 08:36 AM

46. this is going to help a lot

thanks for all your hard work!

K&R

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 10:17 AM

47. What happened to "Le Soapbox"?? I loved that!

just kidding.....so happy to wake up and see General Discussion....suddenely feel at home again...

Thanks Skinner!

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 11:42 AM

48. Will there be enforcement of those rules this time?

Or will posts whining about DU still stand? And will we really be keeping posts about Aunt Millie's cough and "I've reached 5000 posts!1!" in the lounge?

Just curious.

Julie

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 02:46 PM

49. DU3 looks like a highway in Minnesota in the Winter.

A strip of color down the middle.

One-third of the screen (left shoulder) pure white,
and one-third of the screen (right shoulder) an equally pure white.

What an upgrade.

No "Greatest" page, no links to people's Journal pages.

It is what it is, but I hope it's only for the moment.

The "My Account" page has preferences for Standard, Classic and
"Mobile," but they all look like "Mobile," right now. Did those few
(albeit from a demographic desirable to advertisers) have to have
so many changes made, just to accommodate a few SmartPhones
with smaller screens?

Reply to this post

Response to mojowork_n (Reply #49)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 03:07 PM

50. If you select "classic" there won't be any whitespace on the sides.

You'll have text from one side of the page to the other.

Reply to this post

Response to Skinner (Reply #50)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 04:05 PM

51. Tried that.

Maybe it's a bug.

The "My Account" preferences page did let me
change the time, from East Coast, to Central.

But display stayed the same. I have a really
wide monitor -- 20 inches wide, by 11 high --
plugged in to a Win 7, 64-bit Dell Precision
T1500.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 04:23 PM

52. We won one!

Now that is something worth an exclamation point.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 10:42 AM

53. Not liking the new layout at all.

Sorry for raining on the parade but I find the new layout to be completely poor compared to the previous version.
It's hard to navigate. It's difficult to read. It doesn't hold a candle to the previous version. The rules are more restrictive.
I've loved your previous version for all 7 years at my time at DU. It's been my go to page on my computer but the new one makes
me ask why? Why change to this? It always suck when a site or company you loved completely changes and you feel it's not for the better. I would venture to guess that site visits are way down due to these changes. I know mine are.

Reply to this post

Response to go west young man (Reply #53)

Wed Dec 14, 2011, 12:02 AM

55. Not liking the new layout either

I used to come here each day to see if I had missed any political news and catch up and just unwind. Now it's all way too confusing for me. Guess the older I get the less I like change. I miss the old DU. It was like visiting an old friend. Now I don't even feel like it's the same place. Maybe it's just me.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 09:21 PM

54. Like the look!

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 14, 2011, 09:07 AM

56. Suggestion - I don't think the authors of OPS should be

on the jury for their threads.

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #56)

Wed Dec 14, 2011, 10:50 AM

57. The software is supposed to exclude them from juries for their own threads...

...and it is also supposed to exclude everyone else who participated in the threads. If it is not doing so, let me know.

Reply to this post

Response to Skinner (Reply #57)

Wed Dec 14, 2011, 04:50 PM

58. I was not excluded on my Lowe's thread

Still I love DU3

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 14, 2011, 07:58 PM

59. Too bad you can't upvote posts.

I see posts that I agree with and appreciate, but don't really want to reply to. It'd be cool if you could upvote good posts.

but maybe theres more to that than i think, maybe it uses bandwidth or something.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 14, 2011, 09:20 PM

60. Skinner, you are so cool...and I'm not a suck up..

Since you and the guys had decided to go with "Soap Box" I was OK with it.

Proof that D.U. is 'member directed' is that you changed "Soap Box" back to "General Discussion". Most of us preferred that neutral description.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 05:07 AM

61. how many here know that you can't post analysis anymore when you post a news story in breaking news?

I discovered that tonight trying to post. When I complained my thread got locked.

It's wrong to hide complaints about such important features away in the Meta-forum where nobody will read it, except others who ran into different problems. As a news editor, I want to see DU analysis by the poster, who often has info that augments the lame MSM reporting. I also want to add my own perspective on stories I post. If I can't do that, I really am losing interest in this place.

If DU is censoring posters from putting some perspective on the daily news, it's totally wrong!

Something that major should be discussed where the MOST number of DU members can see it and weigh in, not the least.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberty Belle (Reply #61)

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 10:20 AM

62. "where the MOST number of DU members can see it"

The Meta forum has just under 10,000 views so far, and is the 2nd most popular forum on the site.
Indicates to me that Meta IS getting lots of eyeballs and that complaints are not being hidden.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 16, 2011, 12:29 AM

63. That kind of sucks. I sometimes post an article that I think is absolute crap,

and then rip it a new one in the little "personal" paragraph.

Now, what does one do? Reply to their own thread in order to get their own POV in?

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 06:57 PM

65. fully agree

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:47 AM

64. Thank you for Keeping DU going

I have not been an active DUer since the Kerry/Bush cycle. I wanted Dean. I wanted out of the unjust war based on lies. I wanted economic justice for all. For survival sake, I have had to remain very busy acting libertarian- looking out for my own self interest (surviving). I applaud the OWS movement and hope that some positive changes come out of this movement.

I will have to take some time and see what the current thought process of this board is, 8 years later.

I miss the old Air America, but still have DemocracyNOW!/etc now on my indy station.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 22, 2011, 11:29 PM

66. OK...I See Your Game... Put GD And GDP Together For A Cage Match !!!

Watch out for that elbow from the sky.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 23, 2011, 06:37 PM

67. GD G.D.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 01:43 AM

68. Thank you

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 5, 2012, 09:59 PM

69. Wow

Last edited Thu Jan 5, 2012, 10:37 PM - Edit history (1)

DU has a high tech look geez when did they change the look??? I haven't been here posting in a while. Very nice look.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread