HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » British Govt. Approached ...

Fri Aug 30, 2013, 02:15 PM

British Govt. Approached New York Times About Destroying NSA Docs - TPM

British Govt. Approached New York Times About Destroying NSA Docs
Catherine Thompson - TPM
2:48 PM EDT, Friday August 30, 2013

<snip>

The British government approached the New York Times about destroying documents it obtained pertaining to the National Security Agency's British intelligence partner Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ), which were leaked by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, Reuters reported Friday.

People familiar with the matter told Reuters that Times executive editor Jill Abramson stonewalled the request from a senior official at the British Embassy in Washington, D.C. British officials never followed up on the request, the sources said.

A spokesman for the British Embassy in Washington told Reuters that the British government would not "get into the specifics about our efforts but it should come as no surprise if we approach a person who is in possession of some or all of this material."

"We have presented a witness statement to the court in Britain which explains why we are trying to secure copies of over 58,000 stolen intelligence documents - to protect public safety and our national security," the spokesman added.

A spokeswoman for the Times declined to comment.

<snip>

Link: http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/british-govt-approached-new-york-times-about-destroying

3 replies, 655 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply British Govt. Approached New York Times About Destroying NSA Docs - TPM (Original post)
WillyT Aug 2013 OP
villager Aug 2013 #1
Buns_of_Fire Aug 2013 #2
99th_Monkey Aug 2013 #3

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Fri Aug 30, 2013, 02:20 PM

1. "to protect public safety and our national security"

There's a whole contingent here that falls hook, line and sinker for that canned line....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to villager (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 30, 2013, 02:55 PM

2. "National Security" is the new "Terra! Terra! Terra!"

I'm going to start dropping it into every conversation so that people will know I'm a Very Serious Person.

"So, were you boinking your secretary?" "I'm sorry, I can't discuss that. It's a matter of National Security."

"How did my bloodwork come out?" "We can't tell you. It's a matter of National Security."

"Why was my FOIA request denied?" "It was for National Security reasons."

"Did you eat up all the beef jerky?" "Sorry, Dad. National Security, you know."

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Fri Aug 30, 2013, 08:36 PM

3. Sorry. We can't be bothered with this, not while we may be GOING TO WAR!! in Syria

which may or may not happen for weeks on end.

Too bad for the US Constitution.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread