HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Question for Vaping frien...

Thu Apr 24, 2014, 04:46 PM

Question for Vaping friends as to new FDA regulations

Are theyt only regulating & inspecting vape juices made in USA or are they also inspecting those imported from China etc.?
Just wondering as to their inspections.
I have no problem with those making EJuices being held to pure ingredient standards. But many EJuices are imported as flavorings & some from China have already been found to be less than quality.
How does the FDA plan to regulate/inspect foreign made Ejuices & flavorings?

11 replies, 1839 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Question for Vaping friends as to new FDA regulations (Original post)
misterhighwasted Apr 2014 OP
Warpy Apr 2014 #1
misterhighwasted Apr 2014 #3
Warpy Apr 2014 #6
JaneyVee Apr 2014 #2
misterhighwasted Apr 2014 #4
JaneyVee Apr 2014 #9
Ruby the Liberal Apr 2014 #5
KittyWampus Apr 2014 #7
Ruby the Liberal Apr 2014 #8
LadyHawkAZ Apr 2014 #11
Sissyk Apr 2014 #10

Response to misterhighwasted (Original post)

Thu Apr 24, 2014, 04:50 PM

1. Once the FDA steps in as a regulating agency

they do spot checks of domestic and foreign products. It's how they stop the import of a lot of stuff from Asia that is full of stuff that shouldn't be there. If they find a lot of problems with any company manufacturing the juice, either the importation of stuff from that company will be shut down or domestic manufacturers will be brought into compliance.

It's likely to add a little to the overall cost of the product, but at least you won't run the risk of inhaling cyanide for that nice almond flavor.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Warpy (Reply #1)

Thu Apr 24, 2014, 05:03 PM

3. Guess I have doubts as to big global foreign marketing

being held to the same standard as USA made. But I may be a bit tainted by the suspicion that Big Tobacco & multi$$$ global investors lurk somewhere in the back pocket of the FDA.
Won't be the first time in history that Corporations put the small business owner (with a crazy great & profitable idea) out of business for total ownership.
My fear as to free enterprise in the New World Order.

I wish much success those who have started small Vape stores & are making a living in the true American spirit.

Reply to this post

Response to misterhighwasted (Reply #3)

Thu Apr 24, 2014, 06:16 PM

6. Alcohol and tobacco were exempted from FDA oversight

from the time of the first constitutional convention. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms was set up then.

Since patches, lozenges, gum, and e cigs are drug delivery systems instead of purely tobacco leaves plus whatever other junk they put into them, they are subject to regulation by the FDA.

And yes, spot checks can miss things. However, just the threat of them keep manufacturers a little more honest as they find themselves with a warehouse full of stock they can't sell because the US has refused it.

FDA regulation and age limits are a good thing, IMO. They'll keep the stuff a little safer and nicotine out of the hands of kids, who should be able to buy fruit and candy flavors so they can look big at school.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 24, 2014, 04:57 PM

2. Can't believe we live in a period of

US history where a word like E-juice exists. I go to a vapor lounge occasionally, wonder how FDA will effect them.

Reply to this post

Response to JaneyVee (Reply #2)

Thu Apr 24, 2014, 05:10 PM

4. Ha..yes true. I still don't have all the Vape lingo down.

As for flavors I really like Absolute Pin by Five Pawns. Tried it at a Vape Meet in Lewisville Tx. They use a variety of unusual flavors and steep them together in wooden vats for about 3 months. Not for everyone but I like the layers of flavor it gives. mmm

Reply to this post

Response to misterhighwasted (Reply #4)

Thu Apr 24, 2014, 11:30 PM

9. No seriously, you nailed it with e-juice.

Just amazed this is the world we live in. This vapor lounge is basically a 21st century hookah lounge. Tobacco has been replaced with e-juice. Fun.

Reply to this post

Response to JaneyVee (Reply #2)

Thu Apr 24, 2014, 05:45 PM

5. No more samples

That was part of the reg writeup.

Reply to this post

Response to Ruby the Liberal (Reply #5)

Thu Apr 24, 2014, 06:17 PM

7. I saw that and wondered how they can prevent giving away samples of non-nicotine juice.

I would understand (and agree) with not allowing free samples containing nicotine.

Reply to this post

Response to KittyWampus (Reply #7)

Thu Apr 24, 2014, 06:28 PM

8. I had the same thought

Without nicotine, it is just a flavor sample.

Reply to this post

Response to KittyWampus (Reply #7)

Fri Apr 25, 2014, 12:16 AM

11. It just says "free samples" in the proposal

prohibition on the distribution of free samples (same as for cigarettes)
is the wording used. I would like to see some clarification on if that applies to zero-nicotine flavors in a tester bar, or if it's only for handing out free junk lookalike ecigarettes and other items containing nicotine.

Comments open tomorrow.

Other than that, I'm pretty good with the proposed rules.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 25, 2014, 12:03 AM

10. This article seems to be a good one.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/24/fda-e-cigarette-rules/8050875/

You will see the timeline of the FDA's involvement at the end. The article states the FDA will not try to ban flavors.

Also, it clears up the fact that the "E Cig Industry" did not ask to be a tobacco product. They didn't want to be regulated as drug-delivery devices.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread