HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Student Pallbearers Serve...

Tue Jul 22, 2014, 05:08 AM

Student Pallbearers Serve the Underprivileged

School is out for the summer, and may students are spending their with friends or working a summer job. But some students at the Cleveland, Ohio-based high school St. Ignatius are also spending time doing an unlikely act of service.

More than 400 juniors and seniors at this all-male Catholic school volunteer in the Saint Joseph of Arimathea Ministry, a student organization that leads funerals for deceased people who were homeless, financially insecure, or simply didnít have anyone to give them a dignified burial.

Over the past 12 years, the Pallbearers Ministry has led hundreds of funerals. Burying the dead, these students learn that every person is worthy of dignity and care, a lesson that makes them more conscious of how they treat the living.

http://www.thetakeaway.org/story/student-pallbearers-serve-underprivileged/?utm_content=buffer31b3a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

4 replies, 885 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Student Pallbearers Serve the Underprivileged (Original post)
Sherman A1 Jul 2014 OP
Skittles Jul 2014 #1
kelliekat44 Jul 2014 #2
Ilsa Jul 2014 #3
Justice Jul 2014 #4

Response to Sherman A1 (Original post)

Tue Jul 22, 2014, 05:15 AM

1. ...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Skittles (Reply #1)

Tue Jul 22, 2014, 06:50 AM

2. ditto. nt

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 22, 2014, 07:17 AM

3. I wish this type of volunteer work

would spread. Get people thinking about others instead of their X-Box games (or whatever).

I hope there is research about the deceased's earlier life, when they were performing at the level of society's expectations. Then they'll get a better understanding of "There, but for the grace of God, go I".

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 22, 2014, 07:20 AM

4. I thank these kids. wow.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread