HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Thousands in Iran Protest...

Mon Nov 3, 2014, 07:48 AM

Thousands in Iran Protest Acid Attacks on Women

Thousands of Iranians took to the streets of the historic city of Isfahan on Wednesday to protest several acid attacks on women. The attacks had coincided with the passage of a law designed to protect those who correct people deemed to be acting in an “un-Islamic” way.

A local official said on Wednesday that “eight to nine” women had been attacked over the past three weeks by men on motorcycles who splashed them with acid in Isfahan, one of Iran’s largest urban centers and the country’s chief tourist destination. Some of the women were blinded or disfigured.

The protesters — more than 2,000, according to the semiofficial news agency Fars — gathered in front of the local judiciary office and shouted slogans against extremists whom the protesters likened to supporters of Islamic State militants. They also called for the city’s Friday Prayer leader and the prosecutor to step down, witnesses said. Critics have long accused the Iranian authorities of playing down episodes that could embarrass leaders rather than investigating the cases.

“We do not want to propagate virtues by acid,” some of the protesters chanted, a reference to the Islamic obligation of “propagating virtue and preventing vice.” Others shouted, “Death to extremists.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/23/world/middleeast/thousands-in-iran-protest-acid-attacks-on-women.html

12 replies, 1308 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Thousands in Iran Protest Acid Attacks on Women (Original post)
Rhinodawg Nov 2014 OP
Rhinodawg Nov 2014 #1
hobbit709 Nov 2014 #2
Skidmore Nov 2014 #3
leftynyc Nov 2014 #4
hobbit709 Nov 2014 #5
leftynyc Nov 2014 #6
hobbit709 Nov 2014 #7
leftynyc Nov 2014 #8
hobbit709 Nov 2014 #9
leftynyc Nov 2014 #11
CJCRANE Nov 2014 #10
Rhinodawg Nov 2014 #12

Response to Rhinodawg (Original post)

Mon Nov 3, 2014, 07:51 AM

1. That might be worse than beheading or honor killing.

might...

“Death to extremists".....tell me about it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Rhinodawg (Reply #1)

Mon Nov 3, 2014, 08:06 AM

2. But not as bad as beating and kicking a woman who refused to sit at the back of the bus?

Fundamentalist fanatics of ANY religion are identical in the way they treat women and unbelievers. The only difference is the name of their god and the language they speak.

Reply to this post

Response to hobbit709 (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 3, 2014, 08:07 AM

3. This.

Reply to this post

Response to Rhinodawg (Original post)

Mon Nov 3, 2014, 08:50 AM

4. Does the police do anything

about these acid attacks? It seems they just ignore them and allow the women to be terrorized. I'll just wait for someone to come along and try and tell us Christians in this country are just as bad.

Reply to this post

Response to leftynyc (Reply #4)

Mon Nov 3, 2014, 10:13 AM

5. The fundies here would if they thought they would get away with it.

If you pay attention to what they say and write they want the same kind of theocracy.

Reply to this post

Response to hobbit709 (Reply #5)

Mon Nov 3, 2014, 10:36 AM

6. Bullshit

I do pay attention to them and haven't heard one word about acid attacks for women getting an education, nothing about beheadings for being the wrong type of Christian, nothing about cutting the hands off thieves. It's comments like yours that show Bill Maher was absolutely right in his discussion with Affleck. There is no valid comparison to be made at all.

Reply to this post

Response to leftynyc (Reply #6)

Mon Nov 3, 2014, 10:41 AM

7. Bullshit on your bullshit.

I said they would if they thought they could get away with it. Luckily so far they can't. But what do you think their attacks on women going to abortion clinics would lead to if unchecked?

Reply to this post

Response to hobbit709 (Reply #7)

Mon Nov 3, 2014, 10:59 AM

8. And if my aunt had testicle

she'd be my uncle. You have heard of the constitution? A lovely document you should probably read sometime. It outlines what the government can and cannot do. It's because of people like you that it needs to be pointed out that the killer of Dr. Tiller got the death penalty for his crime, not a fucking parade. You ascribe actions to Christians I have seen zero evidence backing up. ZERO evidence.

Reply to this post

Response to leftynyc (Reply #8)

Mon Nov 3, 2014, 11:18 AM

9. you obviously aren't looking very hard.

and I'm obviously wasting my time with you.

Reply to this post

Response to hobbit709 (Reply #9)

Mon Nov 3, 2014, 11:54 AM

11. If you're trying

to compare what you imagine in your mind what Christians would do IF they had a chance versus what is actually happening in Muslim countries RIGHT NOW, then, yes, you're wasting your time because I'll never be ever to bend my mind so far it sees imaginary bullshit for anything other than imaginary bullshit.

Reply to this post

Response to leftynyc (Reply #4)

Mon Nov 3, 2014, 11:23 AM

10. Let's wait and see. According to Press TV the authorities are really angry about it.

If that's true, and not for show, then we should see some pretty harsh sentences if and when these guys are caught.

Reply to this post

Response to CJCRANE (Reply #10)

Mon Nov 3, 2014, 02:10 PM

12. CJ...I hope youre not holding your breath.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread