HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Idea from Adam Sandler fi...

Sat Apr 18, 2015, 11:22 AM

Idea from Adam Sandler film used to soothe dementia patients

For 94-year-old Louise Irving, who suffers from dementia, waking up every day to a video with a familiar face and a familiar voice seems to spark a flicker of recognition.

"Good morning, merry sunshine, how did you wake so soon?" Irving's daughter, Tamara Rusoff-Hoen, sings in a video playing from a laptop wheeled to her mother's nursing home bedside.

As the five-minute video plays, with stories of happy memories and get-togethers, Irving beams a bright smile before repeating the traditional family send-off.

"Kiss, kiss ... I love you."

Such prerecorded messages from family members are part of an apparently unique pilot program at the Hebrew Home at Riverdale aimed at helping victims of Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia break through the morning fog of forgetfulness that can often cause them agitation and fear...

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/families-videos-reassure-patients-dementia-051457060.html

7 replies, 2356 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Idea from Adam Sandler film used to soothe dementia patients (Original post)
ND-Dem Apr 2015 OP
BlancheSplanchnik Apr 2015 #1
ND-Dem Apr 2015 #2
BlancheSplanchnik Apr 2015 #3
ND-Dem Apr 2015 #4
BlancheSplanchnik Apr 2015 #5
ND-Dem Apr 2015 #6
PosterChild Apr 2015 #7

Response to ND-Dem (Original post)

Sat Apr 18, 2015, 01:44 PM

1. such a common sense idea.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to BlancheSplanchnik (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 18, 2015, 01:57 PM

2. I thought so too. It also made me wonder where the families are and why they

wouldn't just come over or call.

Reply to this post

Response to ND-Dem (Reply #2)

Sat Apr 18, 2015, 02:03 PM

3. not everyone has family.

Maybe no one, maybe they have family but the family's unkind, ..... Many different reasons.

Might be that the vids are helpful in the morning, before visiting hours, too.

Reply to this post

Response to BlancheSplanchnik (Reply #3)

Sat Apr 18, 2015, 02:04 PM

4. Except these folks do, because the videos were recently made by family according to the

article.

But this is the world we live in today.

BTW, did you see this? I posted it before:

http://gizmodo.com/inside-an-amazing-village-designed-just-for-people-with-1526062373

Centuries after Shakespeare wrote about King Lear's symptoms, there's still no perfect way to care for sufferers of dementia and Alzheimer's. In the Netherlands, however, a radical idea is being tested: Self-contained "villages" where people with dementia shop, cook, and live together—safely....

Hogeweyk, from a certain perspective, seems like a fortress: A solid podium of apartments and buildings, closed to the outside world with gates and security fences. But, inside, it is its own self-contained world: Restaurants, cafes, a supermarket, gardens, a pedestrian boulevard, and more.

The idea, explains Hogeweyk's creators, is to design a world that maintains as much a resemblance to normal life as possible—without endangering the patients.

Reply to this post

Response to ND-Dem (Reply #4)

Sat Apr 18, 2015, 02:18 PM

5. yes, I've seen that story. a wonderful thing! :) n/t

Reply to this post

Response to BlancheSplanchnik (Reply #5)

Sat Apr 18, 2015, 02:26 PM

6. I thought it was very interesting too; I'd like to see how it worked. Doubt I'll ever

have the chance to visit though...

Reply to this post

Response to ND-Dem (Reply #2)

Sat Apr 18, 2015, 02:36 PM

7. Every morning ? Just when they wake up? Some people...

... have to go to work.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread